WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My Super UltraLight Gear List!

Well, as I have mentioned in numerous places, a good buddy and I are about to head off on a big hike (for us). This is a 3 day, 74+ mile hike through the Great Smoky Mountain NP via the Appalachian Trail. Of course to do this, we decided that a lighter pack would be a great idea to help us get up and over those mountains, and it just so happens that this time of the year is the most opportune time for us to get a pack weight as low as possible due to the "warmer" weather.

So, for the last couple of months I have picked brains, scoured the web and added and subtracted more than I care to admit from a Google Spreadsheet...but the end results are sweet! What I have come up with is a 3.99 lb base pack weight! And IMO, this is bit of a luxury gear list. I will say that this hike is more about the hike for us than camping, and in light of this, the light weight packs are very nice. However, as can be seen in my gear list, I still have a full size air pad with a pillow that I know I can sleep well on...

Anyway, if you are interested, here is the Google Docs Spread Sheet Gear List

GSMNP Thru Hike SUL Gear List

And here are some videos I did:

As well, for a more in-depth write up, here is the link to my write up on my blog:

My Super UltraLight Gear List
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Very nice! I'll be interested to hear your trip report.

Ideally you'll get some hellish conditions to really stress test the kit but I wouldn't want to wish that on you.... ;-)

Enjoy your trip!

10-K, I will admit, the last few trips I have been on I was hoping that the weather would not be all perfect and ideal...and as I laid there in my tent one night that I had just got pitched before a huge storm came in...it was actually raining on me as I got my last bite down, everything packed away and hung on the bear line...and then lying there feeling the mist come into my tent and cleaning the dust from the top of my sleeping bag...I admit, I laid there and smiled...it was good...

But on this trip...I think I will be just fine if the weather is just right... Although if that is not the case, then so be it and I am ready for that too!

Thanks Razor!
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Good luck stick. been following your blog now for a few weeks. Great stuff.

Thanks battlebrooklyn! I appreciate it...

Images

that's some huge mileage stick. better up that weight in ibuprofen...

under 4 pounds is pretty insane.

i got those same roclites for christmas this year. waiting for my current pair to die before i start wearing them...

the lightload towel. a thought on that. i prefer to attach mine (a bandana) to my pack straps with a safety pin. that way i can wipe my face and whatnot while i'm on the move, there's no danger of it falling out of my pocket, and it'll dry as i walk. just a thought....

glad to see you carrying a firesteel and a whistle. smart items even for the sul guy.

will watch part 2 later. cheers
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    the lightload towel. a thought on that. i prefer to attach mine (a bandana) to my pack straps with a safety pin. that way i can wipe my face and whatnot while i'm on the move, there's no danger of it falling out of my pocket, and it'll dry as i walk. just a thought...
    I have several bandanas and have never bought one. I've picked every on I have up off the trail where someone has dropped it.

Images

hehehe nice 10k.

stick: recommend taking a windshirt, losing the extra batteries for the headlamp. just check it before you go.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

++ New Posts ++