WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What Is Your Record...

For most miles hiked on the AT in one day? What were the circumstances? Also, where were you at?

Since it's after 4 AM in the east and I believe AZ doesn't do daylight savings time, let me guess: You waken from a dream in which everyone has done more miles than you ever thought possible. right?
    So, you rush to the computer to find out other's limitations.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

My longest day was 25.5 miles somewhere in NJ. A modest record, but it's mine!
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

ive done in the range of 23-25 miles 3 times. once to get to duncannon for the night, once because southern MD is just too easy, once because the 2 northern most shelters in shenandoah are 23 and 9 miles from the end of the park and when i got to the last shelter i decided not to stop for the night as it was too early.

On the AT? From Clingsmans Dome to Spence Field Shelter. Nothing at all special about that except that it was in 1960. I remember it to have been about 16 miles. It was special for us at the time!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

AT 2012

that would be 29 miles northbound into waynesboro a couple of months ago -- only of merit cause i'm so old ;<)... for the last several miles I was looking for a place to camp, hiking with a NOBO named Eagle eye, and his german shephard, Jack. Didn't find a spot , chatted a lot, and ended up in waynesboro!
    Lazarus

A whopping 10 miles,best guess,maybe 9,that's in the woods,only started keeping track of miles a few years ago,and since then,my personal best is 13 miles (and 180 some odd steps up and down "Old Barney" Light house on barneget bay,NJ)of road walking,took about 6 hours
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-25-2012 at 14:34. Reason: keepin it real

Images

My personal best is the ~20 miles from Tricorner Knob shelter in the Smokies to Standing Bear Farm. As my usual day is more like 13 miles, and this section has some monster downhills to wreck my knees, I was pretty wiped by the time I got there.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Back when I was in top hiker shape (that was in 1981, mind you, when pack weight was normally in the 40-50 lb range and 2-5 lb boots were standard) I did three consecutive 25+ mile days through SNP. I was with a large group, wanted to attend a birthday party off trail from Rockfish Gap and also join some folks for some canoeing from Thornton Gap three days later. My mileages were 25, 27 and 26. Nothing SPECTACULAR since it was through SNP, but three consecutive days did add a bit of a challenge.

Images

A guy known as "Wild Man" blew through camp one evening doing Nantahala to Fontana in one day (29.4 miles). And I know he made it from talking to other folks. He was packing can goods and all sorts of clothes in a big Gregory pack and cooking on fire. He carried his hammock and sleeping bag in a stuff sack in his arms. The story is that he had started hiking north from somewhere in Florida. Hike your own hike!

My longest day i went from Standing Bear Hostel to Hot Springs in one day which is about 35 miles or maybe in 2006 i tried the 4 state challenge and completed about 40 miles so i would say 35-40 miles is my longest day.

31 miles, slack packing. Not an enjoyable experience. Wouldn't do it again (slacking and/or 30+)

40 miles. full pack. watauga lake to damascus. 11 hrs 50 mins. ran the last 10 miles

I did two 30.5 mile days during my thru. I think one of them was in PA and I can't remember the other's location. Full pack of course.

Images

aproximatly 32 miles from tom floyd wayside to skyland. i had a great time during the hours i hiked but after i showerd and went to the restaurant to eat my body crashed really hard. i felt horrible left the building and tossed my cookies. my cookies were the crab legs i had just eaten.not a great feeling.. i have done 20 to 25 miles several times on long dayhikes into the whites. 20 mi and above makes for a long day. i like to stay in the 12 to 15 mile range when hiking multiple days.....

30 miles with a 45 pound pack. Hopefully on next years thru I can reverse that and hike 45 miles with a 30 pound pack.

Once in VA and once in PA.

Images

Maine, Birches - Rainbow Lake Camp 21.1 mi.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

27.1 miles into damascus from iron mtn shelter. all 5 of us in the shelter had gone to bed very early due to weather. Then around 2:00 am we woke up and said let's go.

7 zero days in a row, Hot Springs NC.
    the AC was working very well!
    hardest miles n-----ever :-)

I really need all these great numbers to evaluate myself properly in terms of the herd. Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++