WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ziplock vacuum bags

Just found something unique - ziplock vacuum freezer bags. started kit is a pump and 3 bags. It was $2 on sale at target. I repackaged a MH dinner and it worked real good. With this thing no need to buy a 100 dollar machine to vacuum pack your food.

It's not the camera. It's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to both manipulate the camera and to develop the image to present your vision.

They aren't intended for boiling. Check out the faqs.

There may be some applications for this but in general it is easier to pack food loosley in baggies that tie shut. The vaccumn sealed bags are hard to pack efficiently, there is more garbage, the seal may break and the stiff plastic may puncture the bag next to it. The pump is light enough to pack along and I wonder if it might have some other applications? If you seriously need to seal something, like your emergency fire starting kit, it is better to use a real food sealer. That said, this product works and may be a good option for most backpackers.

Quote Originally Posted by verasch View Post
    They aren't intended for boiling. Check out the faqs.
    Yes, don't boil them for gawd's sake! However, if you want to dump the contents in your pot of hot water, everything will be ok. really.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    There may be some applications for this but in general it is easier to pack food loosley in baggies that tie shut. The vaccumn sealed bags are hard to pack efficiently, there is more garbage, the seal may break and the stiff plastic may puncture the bag next to it. The pump is light enough to pack along and I wonder if it might have some other applications? If you seriously need to seal something, like your emergency fire starting kit, it is better to use a real food sealer. That said, this product works and may be a good option for most backpackers.

yes, if you are trying to pack a bear can with more days of food than specified, loose is better. Pack with wheat instead, or, just don't pump it down to zero vacuum -- with this tool, you are the master of your domain. I was actually able to fend of a mugger with a stiff plastic bag that I had packed and vacuumed. When he eyed the sharp edge of the bag, he turned and ran...and who could blame him. If you are not trying to seal food for a year or some such calamity, this thing will work fine. i got some salmon dehydrating right now to pack with MH mac and cheese for a 10 day romp on the PCT thru the sierras. I ain't worried about the pack next to it

Just tried rehydrating some riced side dish with boiling water in the freezer bag - worked the same as any other freezer bag. so, no problem with that. just don't boil the bag.

Just looked at some I vacuumed - they did leak a little. I think its the seal of the opening. best to lube the seal a little with water, vasaline, or something to make is seal up good. otherwise it may leak. more later as I check the seal daily.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    Just looked at some I vacuumed - they did leak a little.
    I bought these when they first came out, excited about having a vacuum seal. Alas, they all have a slow leak and will become unvacummed quite quickly.

yep, may not work afterall. dang! resealed last nite and they did seep slightly by this morning. gonna put a little vas on the valve and try again.

Don't give up on these yet. Try to determine where the bags leak. If the seal is leaking you may be able to put a small piece of duct tape over it. Baggies from any company often leak at the ends of the seal line and sometimes along the edges where they are put together--but usually they hold up for as long as most are needed.

I taped over the valves with some clear plastic tape. I think that did it. I'll check them sunday before I pull out for the PCT and the high sierra!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You have certainly got your $2 back out of that purchase!

checked today at noon. the seal is holding. here is my final advice on these -- put a little vaseline on the lips of the pump to get a better seal on the bag valve and more "suck."

Immediately after vacuum, tape over the valve on the bag. that should do it for short term, a few weeks, of storage. If you are going to do it for a longer term, I'd tape over the ziplock seal on the bag as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Don't give up on these yet. Try to determine where the bags leak. If the seal is leaking you may be able to put a small piece of duct tape over it.
    Genius! Now why didn't I think of that ... ha ha.

I haven't had the bags leak. I don't put any weight on the bags. They do not stand up to any pressure at all.

I use the Ziploc vacuum bags for freeze-dried raspberries, for example, I purchase in bulk. I use the vacuum packaging because freeze-dried raspberries so quickly lose their flavor and raspberry odor that adds to the flavor.

I carry backpacking food in my van, I use to resupply. I park in the shade. I keep the food inside insulated backpacking gear. I like out and back and loop hikes from my van on long-distance road trips. I get to see more different landscapes that way. I get more interesting hikes that way.

This is why I like the Ziploc vacuum bag system. I use Food Saver vacuum packaging at home. I even have the Food Saver Jar Sealer adapter so I can vacuum pack perishable flavor backpacking food items in jars.

++ New Posts ++