WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Why do so many worry about finishing a thru-hike?

Why is the end of a Thru-hike,or finishing more important than the journey?

braggin' rights?

Good question, Rocket. I think we are all different. I am definitely an "it's the journey" type of person, but I am also goal oriented and don't want to "fail." To me, I must get to Katahdin. I worry about injury more than anything else because that's the only thing I see stopping me.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Because 80% quit and say the enjoyed "the journey"?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Why do people finish 10Ks, marathons, or triathlons? Why do they value crossing the finish line showing so much emotion?

I think the answer is obvious.

You don't see folks quiting marathons before the finish just because they see a nice restaurant.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Because people have a sick compulsion to make everything a competition?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Some people jog, some people like to run in events. Your use of "sick" is sick.

LYOL
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Who says it's more important?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Why do people finish 10Ks, marathons, or triathlons? Why do they value crossing the finish line showing so much emotion?

You don't see folks quiting marathons before the finish just because they see a nice restaurant.
    Yes,your right,it is obvious,though sometimes it seems that when it gets discussed here,that it is more about some other reason,and not so obvious.I rewrote that question 3 times,and each time it was to preachy,and I didn't want it to come off as such.I'm wondering if Lone Wolf isn't right,just "Braggin rights",but there again,at times it goes beyound,just braggin rights.If it's my goal,and my hike,then why would I,or should I worry about what others think about My hike.I shouldn't,yet some do,why?

Are we just so protective of our accomplishments,that allowing another to speak of doing the same,when they haven't endured the same hardships,is just unacceptable to us,is it just that simple?back in 23,working on my ratio
    Dam...slippin 24 min
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-27-2012 at 16:13.

Images

I think for many they view completing the hike as a challenge, not a competition with others but a competition vs themselves. Bragging rights, I doubt it for most, there are many easier ways of getting bragging rights like eating contests etc that don't take months to complete. I also think there is an element of not wanting to go back home a "failure" that may also drive others as well. I know I couldn't imagine going back to all those that had to listen to me talk endlessly for years about thru hiking and saying " just kidding, I just took a took week walk".

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

For the same reasons people who climb mountains go all the way to the top. There is a start/finish - beginning/end.

Some people are hardwired to finish what they start. Others don't place as high a value on that.

As always.. HYOH.

In 96 on my Flip-Flop it was a challenge but know its just something to do,

That got a genuine chuckle right there.

Images

its only important to those who finish.to them its the journey and the destination.
    to me, its just the journey

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    That got a genuine chuckle right there.

Heck,them guy's don't even stop for water,There like "Throw at my face,and I'll try and catch it in my mouth"

wookinpanub

My desire to reach Springer (SOBO) was what drove me to begin, but that was not enough to sustain me. I found that fuel was spent within a couple of weeks. The internal journey became the biggest goal. I actually started pretending that the hike had no end and that I needed to embrace the mountains, rain, heat, and other hardships. The notion of "Conquering the AT" was ludicrous. It made for some interesting feelings when I got to Springer, the most confusing being "What do I do, now?".
    I have no idea if anyone else would understand it this way, but to complete it demanded that I change.

I would think some of it has to do with time and money. Also the huge emotional and monetary investment that some make. Maybe the fear of others opinions if they don't finish. I am guessing there are hundreds of reasons. All I know for sure is when I get my shot in 2013 I will enjoy every moment of the journey and the finish (if I am so lucky to get)

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Yep,healthy competition is good,I love slamin' someone,if it's all in fun,certainly nothing wrong with that,everybody needs a good "you suck,your Karate is weak and your a terrible softball player Jack",now and then but that whole "hey hey you you,get off my cloud" mentality.....well I just don't get that Bill,and I think many don't get it either,and to take a phrase from LW (out of context of coarse)......Truth!

Quote Originally Posted by wookinpanub View Post
    "Conquering the AT" was ludicrous.
    Yeah, I've never understood "conquering the trail" or "conquering the weather". Both will whip your a$$ on a regular basis.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++