WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sorry, didn't read all the responses.
    Doesn't matter. I can only speak for myself and my thoughts anyway.

I hike cause it's fun. The only thing I "worry" about regarding the finish, is how to make enough money to start again in the spring.

If you're not having fun out there, why keep going?

(anyway, that was always my philosophy. now that I have a kid, it's all a different game of course)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

If someone is serious about doing a thru-hike it takes a lot of preperation. The folks who do the proper preperation, not the ones who decide at the last minute to walk on the AT, are the ones who have half a chance to finish.
    Along the way the properly prepaired hikers discover a driving force to finish their thru-hike. The reason why are many and are different for different hikers. For me it was the feeling that I had beat the odds. When I finished my thru-hike, walking the whole way from Amicalola Falls in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine was one of the biggest personal accomplishments in my lifetime. It's something that 80% of those who try fail to do.
    Of coarse all those that have tryed and failed have a good reason for doing so.
    Grampie-N->2001

because it was a goal I set for myself, pretty simple really

For me, the goal is what drives the journey and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I'm done, the journey is what gives me pleasure and satisfaction.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Besides..isn't a thruhike by definition, from beginning to end? "worry about finishing"? Maybe I'm not understanding the question

I haven't got to do my thru hike yet, but I have a feeling that when I do, it will be the same as when I climb mountains out here. Yes, it sucks, my legs hurt, I'm out of breath, the sun is too bright and too hot, but I have a goal in mind. I always want to quit about halfway up ( I did a mountain out here that was 1920' in about 100-105 heat), but I know what is at the top of that mountain, and for me, that's worth it. Great views, an even better work out, and at the end of the day, I feel like I accomplished something.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    The folks who do the proper preperation, not the ones who decide at the last minute to walk on the AT, are the ones who have half a chance to finish.
    Along the way the properly prepaired hikers discover a driving force to finish their thru-hike.
    This is sooo wrong on soooo many levels. Almost everyone figures it out as they go due to the fact that there is absolutely no way to prepare for something you cannot possibly know ahead of time.

The demographics I think are largely the retired and the college age.It would be interesting to know what group has historically finished,the older folks,perhaps with the ability of temperament and a longer time of real world experiences,or the younger folks,with youth and health on there side.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    This is sooo wrong on soooo many levels. Almost everyone figures it out as they go due to the fact that there is absolutely no way to prepare for something you cannot possibly know ahead of time.
    I am not saying that those who "plan and prepare" for the AT are always successful in completing their thru, but I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. There are many ways to plan for the AT:

You can make sure that you have the right gear.
    You can start with a lighter load than countless others before you.
    You can financially prepare yourself.
    You can mentally prepare yourself to some degree.
    You can physically prepare yourself for some of the challenges on the trail.

Can you prepare yourself for everything? Definitely not. But by reading AT journals, asking other hikers who have completed their thru, reading AT books, and asking questions on WB - you are definitely more prepared than some hiker who decides a few days before that he is going to hike the AT. Now he may finish and you may not, but you will be more prepared.

So many people quit the AT because you hear over and over, "It wasn't what I expected." I suspect that many hikers started off with packs that were way too heavy; sleeping in shelters with snorers and rodents. Well after a few sleepless nights like this, I think that many hikers would be ready to give up.

Only time will tell if many of us are ultimately successful or not, but it won't be because we didn't know how to prevent a lot of these very common beginner mistakes. Can you plan for everything? No - not saying this at all. But there really are a lot of things you can prepare and plan for on the AT.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 06-29-2012 at 20:05.

Images

time will tell? going back 4 years i know people that read, planned, read more, posted and posted, and still said "It wasn't what I expected." blue jay is right. just post if sassafras mt. kicks your butt
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Yep.

Reminds me of a young man I met at Shaw's in Monson. He had never backpacked before leaving Springer.

I had read the books (not much online then), had two years worth of Wingfoot's guides, the brand new Trail Companion, figured out all my calories and food values. I had hiked since my pre-teens.

Not sure where on the trail we became equal, but by Monson you couldn't tell us apart.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Certainly there must be some that just showed up,and finished,but I wouldn't think thats a very common formula,with a high sucess rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    For me, the goal is what drives the journey and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I'm done, the journey is what gives me pleasure and satisfaction.
    I love comments that nail a subject with just one line.......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post

You can make sure that you have the right gear.
    You can start with a lighter load than countless others before you.
    You can financially prepare yourself.
    You can mentally prepare yourself to some degree.
    You can physically prepare yourself for some of the challenges on the trail.

So many people quit the AT because you hear over and over, "It wasn't what I expected."
    No you can easily make it with any even "wrong" gear
    No you can make it with a heavy pack, in fact I've noticed many multis carry heavy
    No you can make it ratbag
    There is no possible way to prepare mentally, try to pactice long term cold wet tired and hungry, good luck
    I've found fat people often go the whole way because they lose the weight very fast and then feel better than most

Thanks for proving my point. "It wasn't what I expected" means your plan sucked, better not to have one at all

No you can easily make it with any even "wrong" gear
    No you can make it with a heavy pack, in fact I've noticed many multis carry heavy
    No you can make it ratbag
    There is no possible way to prepare mentally, try to pactice long term cold wet tired and hungry, good luck
    I've found fat people often go the whole way because they lose the weight very fast and then feel better than most

Thanks for proving my point. "It wasn't what I expected" means your plan sucked, better not to have one at all
    I think you need to read everything I wrote there. You may have hiked the AT, but that doesn't make you right all the time. Reading comprehension is a useful tool - because otherwise you just end up being a tool. I was respectful in my response to you. I don't think you can plan for everything and I stated that the "planners" aren't necessarily the ones who always complete the AT. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fewer mistakes you make, the greater your odds of success!

But it doesn't take a rocketsocks to realize that the fewer mistakes you make, the greater your odds of success!
    fixed......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    fixed......
    Thanks Chin,I was tryin to figure out how to do that with out getting caught,6 pak on the way....to ya!hehehe

LOL I almost did that myself!

LOL I almost did that myself!
    and that would have been fine!

Images

I just came home from a PCT thru hike attempt. I made it to Mammoth Lakes. (900 miles). I feel a little bummed about it but I really don't care if anyone thinks that I failed. My money was getting thin and I didn't want to end up broke when I got home.
    I think because I thru-hiked the AT in 09, finishing the PCT as a thru-hike just wasn't that important.
    As I was hiking the John Muir section, I remember reading that Mr. Muir didn't really like the idea of "hiking". He was more inclined to saunter. And I was thinking about that a lot as I was hiking past some AMAZING places. I really wanted to slow down but I felt like I had to "go, go, go".

So I guess I didn't really worry about finishing the trail.
    I am more concerned about really experiencing different environments, for my soul and spiritual benefit, not my ego.
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++