WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Setting Speed Records?

While I was reading the new posts the other day, it occured to me that alot of people are trying to set speed records. I thought it was supposed to be enjoyed, but how can you really enjoy it by doing 20 plus miles in a day? Is this a new trend to hike as fast as possible? How about the slowest speed record?

Interestingly,I heard the slowest was 46 years,and the fastest was 46 days,but don't know if those numbers are correct,well at least the 46 years anyway.

Images

speed hikers enjoy going fast. slow hikers enjoy going slow. its the same scenery , the same mileage. speed hikers rarely hit 90mph, theres still plenty to see.
    as far as the slowest, i started in 1976, and im still far from done!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    While I was reading the new posts the other day, it occured to me that alot of people are trying to set speed records. I thought it was supposed to be enjoyed, but how can you really enjoy it by doing 20 plus miles in a day? Is this a new trend to hike as fast as possible? How about the slowest speed record?

i dunno, how can someone enjoy sleeping in a tent until 9, sitting around having breakfast til 10, only hiking 2 hours before taking a 2 hour lunch, then calling it a day around 4 even though theres 3 hours of daylight left?

i get up, i start hiking. the literal end of the day (as in sunset) relative to where i can feasibly stop determines when i finish hiking. the unavoidable result of this process is a 20 mile or more day, very often. what about this seems unenjoyable exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    speed hikers enjoy going fast. slow hikers enjoy going slow. its the same scenery , the same mileage. speed hikers rarely hit 90mph, theres still plenty to see.
    as far as the slowest, i started in 1976, and im still far from done!
    Speed hikers rarley hit 90,that made me spit my coffee out the nose,LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i dunno, how can someone enjoy sleeping in a tent until 9, sitting around having breakfast til 10, only hiking 2 hours before taking a 2 hour lunch, then calling it a day around 4 even though theres 3 hours of daylight left?

i get up, i start hiking. the literal end of the day (as in sunset) relative to where i can feasibly stop determines when i finish hiking. the unavoidable result of this process is a 20 mile or more day, very often. what about this seems unenjoyable exactly?
    "What makes this seem unenjoyable"....well,it's over sooner,and back to work quicker,eh?

Images

I don't know I would equal 20 + miles a day speed hiking I just Call it hiking

Images

20 miles a day isn't that much if you're in good shape. That's less than 2 mph, and 2 mph is pretty slow. 2 mph is a pleasant walk in the woods with no rush at all.

Now pushing much over 3 mph is fast. 4 mph is speed demon territory.

What makes it agonizing is if you're in poor shape and didn't bring the right gear. You'll be sweating, your muscles will be sore, your feet will ache, you might injure a joint and have to go home... You can do that at 1 mph. Not being in good trail shape is what takes the joy out of walking, not the pace.

how can someone enjoy sleeping in a tent until 9, sitting around having breakfast til 10, only hiking 2 hours before taking a 2 hour lunch, then calling it a day around 4
    Why is it when ever the subject of speed hiking is brought up, it's compared to these imaginary crawlers?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Why is it when ever the subject of speed hiking is brought up, it's compared to these imaginary crawlers?
    There are imaginary hikers? I knew the view on the AT was obstructed, but I didn't know it was this tricky.

For the number of speed record attemptee's i'm sure there are just as many that hike as described. the majority fall in between.

i'm like Tdoczi.. i'd rather not be sitting around at camp, especially at night. it is pretty boring. a mid day stop is nice to recharge and then see where a good place to stop will be in the time left.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Hyperbole perhaps. But I don't think it is exaggeration to say most people get a later rather than earlier start and tend to be in camp well before sunset (Esp if it is a first long hike).

Different is not bad or good...it is just well, different.

FWIW, I have enjoyed 20+ mile days on thru-hikes, and 3 mile days going with my buddy and his son on his son's first backpacking trip.

Personally, I am glad there are so many different ways people can love, experience and appreciate the outdoors.

Last edited by Mags; 06-28-2012 at 17:58.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

it wasn't meant to be thru-hiked either. it's all about the destination

It is actually all about the journey

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I've hiked both ways that you described and enjoyed them both, all depended on when I was hiking, why I was out there and who I was hiking with. But I absolutely understand your point, to each their own, HYOH, YMMV etc.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    There are imaginary hikers? I knew the view on the AT was obstructed, but I didn't know it was this tricky.
    The more I sit around posting on this site, the more I start to feel like an imaginary hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it wasn't meant to be thru-hiked either. it's all about the destination
    I always appreciate when someone posts this reminder.

Wasn't it also originally thought that hikers would be smart enough to bring their own shelter or know how to find it? Earl Shaffer's book made the shelters sound like they were few and far between.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 06-28-2012 at 21:08.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

To one of the OP's questions, no I don't believe it is a new trend. The percentage of AT hikers looking to set a record or considering themselves to be "hiking as fast as possible" is infinitesimal.

Theres sooooo many answers to this, but Ill give you the reason I hike long days, I cant sit still....Sometimes I hike fast, sometimes slow, depends on my mood, food, hiking company, and my music playlist. Theres no wrong way to hike, unless you die trying, but theres arguments to that as well(died doing what he/she loved...yada yada). As long as your happy, who cares? You can always release your feelings on trail registers or websites....(ha ha he he).

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    To one of the OP's questions, no I don't believe it is a new trend. The percentage of AT hikers looking to set a record or considering themselves to be "hiking as fast as possible" is infinitesimal.
    Also note that some of the people out to set speed records didn't make it very for even to the start of the trail.

It is actually all about the journey
    so you've done a thru-hike then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    As long as your happy, who cares?
    What he said ^
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++