WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default shelter,stealth,crowds,alone,understars

i just wanted to see what most people prefer,as far as how you spend your nights on the trail,i prefer stealth camping,in my henn.hammock or dancing light gear tarp,i rarely stay in or near shelter,i am not antisocial,just like being alone
    i cannot understand why so many hikers prefer mouse infested,over crowed shelters,i stay in shelters occasionally,why do most hikers prefer shelters and crowds neo

:banana

i do not get it either. i like the solitude and the quiet. it sucks when the shelters are over crowded. i do not mind the mice though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hauptman
    i do not get it either. i like the solitude and the quiet. it sucks when the shelters are over crowded. i do not mind the mice though.
    yeah i will take the mice over the crowd any day neo

Registered User Mountain Hippie's Avatar
    Images

I like to eat my supper at a shelter and maybe visit a while with others but I always sleep away from the shelter. I prefer the sounds of nature to the sounds that escape from various areas of the human anatomy. I also find that I get fewer critter visitors during the night if I sleep in an area that is not as heavily used by humans.
    I use a hammock also and I enjoy it to much to go back to sleeping in a shelter. To each his own.
    "Remember, Only You Can Prevent Forum Fires" - Smokey the Cyberbear

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    i cannot understand why so many hikers prefer mouse infested,over crowed shelters,i stay in shelters occasionally,why do most hikers prefer shelters and crowds neo
    Because most of us are not afraid of mice or humans, it's as simple as that. Don't like shelters, don't go there, again it's very siimple.

When the weather is bad or the shelter is empty I'll use the shelter. Got many more good shelter memories than bad. Enjoy sleeping under the stars but like to find a tree to get under to avoid the dew. Since I started hiking with my dog(s) we stay in the tent.

Default I'm the Outsider, Looking In...

As a person who hasn't hiked as much as most of you here (family obligations limit me to shorter hikes), I haven't understood the "shelter rat" set either. Yet, in nearly every journal or book I've read, nearly everyone stays in them...or, maybe staying in shelters make you more likely to write books?

But, like you, neo, I assumed they are the more social, or community-oriented sort.

Before now, I've never even camped near anyone else...and as a woman alone, I much prefer it this way. I'm preparing for my first trek on the AT, and, alas, it will be in the Smokies where you are required to stay in shelters. I'm dreading the evenings, to be honest, and it's likely that I may risk staying in the woods anyway--and, just for the record, I'm fairly non-social, but I think I'm a nice person (I prefer the designation "non-social" to "anti-social"...I'm pretty sure I don't have Unibomber tendencies!)

The choice of where to spend the night depends on several factors:

• Who else is there at the shelter
    • Weather
    • Condition of shelter
    • How much energy I have

Frankly, I frequently stay at shelters in good weather because it's easier than putting up my tent, and taking it down again.

Quote Originally Posted by The#Is10
    Before now, I've never even camped near anyone else...and as a woman alone, I much prefer it this way. I'm preparing for my first trek on the AT, and, alas, it will be in the Smokies where you are required to stay in shelters. ...
    There are several options in the Smokies to get off the ridgeline and camp at non-shelter sites. Look carefully for the numbered sites on the park map. Plus, planning on hiking outside of the the thruhiker pack helps to avoid shelter crowds.

Default Alligator (I love that name!)

Yep, you are right...when I blue-blaze my return back to my starting point (Fontana), I plan to stay in a non-rationed campsite or stealth camp, if there are people about. There really aren't campsites near enough to the AT for me to spend my time hiking to and from them, as the main point of the hike is to get as many AT miles as possible under my belt w/o shuttling...I don't want to shuttle as it's a very short section, but I'll shuttle at a later time if I can drum up at least a week's worth of hiking--this working to pay the bills thing sucks!

Depends on several things. My wife & I tent if we have our dogs with us. We don't take them into the shelters. Sometimes tent if the shelters look really dirty and show signs of a large mice colony. On the other hand if it is a rainy day (night), not crowded and somewhat clean, we will stay in a shelter. If it has been a long day staying in a shelter is nice, don't have to pitch the tent that evening.

Happy Trails,
    Chip
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Because most of us are not afraid of mice or humans, it's as simple as that. Don't like shelters, don't go there, again it's very siimple.
    i am not afraid of mice or humans,i just prefer solitude,shelters are great when i am the only occupant.i plan my section during non thru hike season.i like people
    just cant handle crowds neo

Roswell,GA- Wishing I was still living in NH
    Images

I like visting the shelters to see who is around, but prefer to go tent city. I snore loudly and I know this, plus usually some moron will have their dog with them in the shelter and my allergies will kick in. As far as the mouse problem, I have no problem with them, I find they are best on a stick over an open fire with a little celery salt, The tail is a little chemy though.
    While you were waiting to be created, I was evolving.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    There are several options in the Smokies to get off the ridgeline and camp at non-shelter sites. Look carefully for the numbered sites on the park map. Plus, planning on hiking outside of the the thruhiker pack helps to avoid shelter crowds.

Another way to get around the shelter rule in the Smokies for long distance hikers:

If you are hiking fifty miles on any side of the park the via the AT, you are allowed to tent near the shelters.

To my knowledge this rule is still in effect.

Obviously, if you are out for weekend or doing the 70 mile AT stretch, this type of camping will not work on a legal level.

Ahem, there is also this type of campimg I've heard about (only heard about, mind you) called stealth camping.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Gimme Shelter

When I hiked back East (not too many shlters on Western trails!) on long hikes, I would usually eat at the shelters, then hike 100 meters or so into the woods and camp. This way I could have the communal experience hiking the AT, with the privacy/quiet I enjoy.
    Would use a shelter if there was four people or less (my own personal rule) only.

On weekend hikes, would seldom (if ever) use a shelter. Think if my time doing the weekend thing back East, used the shelters MAYBE 5x.

If I was to hike out East again, my use of shelters would probably even be less.

Finally, a little quote about solitude from Abbey:

I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me;
    I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from
    the nearest fellow human, but instead of lonliness I feel loveliness.
    Loveliness and a quiet exultation. --Ed Abbey

Default I'm so loney I could cry

I think the people who like shelters like to be around people. People are social animals and for the most part take comfort being apart of a group. Bivying out by yourself can be intimidating for some people. It also magnifies the loneliness one can sometimes feel.

blue blazin' hiker trash

The main reason most people stay in or near shelters is because water is there. And if there is a picnic table that makes meals much easier.
    Whenever I hike I plan my day shelter to shelter (easy way to figure out mileage). Shelters are natural stopping points. You often can't look at a map or guidebook and know if there is going to be room to set up a tent or a reliable water source if you're not around a shelter. Obviously, there are exceptions....

Default Alone in the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by madmantra
    I think the people who like shelters like to be around people. People are social animals and for the most part take comfort being apart of a group. Bivying out by yourself can be intimidating for some people. It also magnifies the loneliness one can sometimes feel.
    Eloquently put Madmantra.
    I find this topic interesting because it seems to hit at the "heart" of many hikers' hiking concept; many hikers are looking to get out into the woods (i.e., into the wild) and away from people. As the saying goes: First we examine the woods, then examine our pack, finally we turn to examine ourselves (I am counting on someone posting the exact quote and source of this). I think what surprises many about the AT is that the woods, upon further examination, are full of people! Not just people, but an entire community of sorts.
    Of course, there are other hiking concepts of import (e.g., TIME), but this thread is about people and the mice that follow them, and their dogs, and the occasional horse, and their fights or their lovemaking, and their lack of pot or the fact that they are smoking pot, and their alcohol (too much or not enough to share), and their surplus food or their lack of food, and their help or their lack of help, and all those things that many hikers were not expecting to find so much of in the woods.

Images

my daily average is 20 to 25 miles a day,i usaully stop around dark cook dinner

near a stream while cooking i filter 2 liters of water,eat clean my dishes the hike a couple miles further,out west there are very few trail amenities,picnic tables
    trail shelters,pavillions with a view,i believe the AT experience would be better
    without these luxery,s that so many hikers are dependent on.these luxery,s take away from the wilderness experience neo

After a long, hard day shelters are just so darned convenient.
    aka Endorphin, AT GA->ME '04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++