WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default LT in September - Words of wisdom?

No. One Son is flying in from the Middle East and we're hiking the LT NOBO in September. Good quality time together. With life being so helter-skelter, it may be the last time we get to do something like this together.

He's shipped me his gear and I've been going over everything. I think we're in good shape. He's going the bivy route, I'm hammocking.

I'm working out at the gym and am excited about getting boots on the ground. Still ... 273 miles is a long walk in the woods. I have moments of doubt. Especially at age 57.

Any other 50-somethings tackle the LT? Words of wisdom, encouragement? SamA

Quote Originally Posted by SamA View Post
    No. One Son is flying in from the Middle East and we're hiking the LT NOBO in September. Good quality time together. With life being so helter-skelter, it may be the last time we get to do something like this together.

He's shipped me his gear and I've been going over everything. I think we're in good shape. He's going the bivy route, I'm hammocking.

I'm working out at the gym and am excited about getting boots on the ground. Still ... 273 miles is a long walk in the woods. I have moments of doubt. Especially at age 57.

I was 59 when I thruhiked the LT in '07. Took me a month but I had several zero days to indulge in other things. My hike was inside-out, starting at Rt. 4, hiking north to Canada, returning to Rt. 4, hiking south to Massachusetts. As you may have heard - and will later on in this thread - the northern part of the LT is tougher with steeper ascents/descents and more rugged terrain. September is an ideal time to hike; you can still get some swimming in at the ponds in the southern portion (Stratton, Little Rock, Griffith Lake). Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by SamA View Post

SamA,
    I'm 66 and starting August 14, NOBO. We can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey Sam,

I'm 57 also, and planning on also doing a e2e LT NOBO hike in September... maybe we'll run into each other. I'll probably be starting from Williamstown, MA a few days after Labor Day. You're smart to be working out to get in shape. We dont' have any hills in Florida, so I'm doing 23-story staircase cycles with a 25 # weight vest, what fun it is!

One thing that will really help you is hiking with your #1 son, you guys will encourage each other!

good luck to you both

September is a great time to hike the LT. Just be prepared for some cold nights, and perhaps some days with cold rain.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Sam,wishing you and your son a great hike,and some quality time together,I sure it will be a welcomed change for both of you.Happy Trails.

Images

I would love to see a trip report or journal on this hike. Kudos for realizing this wonderful opportunity!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries
    Images

Nope not in my 50's. What I'm thinking is your knees up North. Listen to your body on the downhills. Also quite frankly I'd let the boy shoulder the food.

I find that after about 5 days I'm OK except for going down (the knees). Poles are a great help for me. Lots of ups and downs, especially on the northern part. I also have to remember that I'm not in a race. Enjoy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    I find that after about 5 days I'm OK except for going down (the knees). Poles are a great help for me. Lots of ups and downs, especially on the northern part. I also have to remember that I'm not in a race. Enjoy.
    Yep, the knees seem to be the thing, all right. Try to get your weight as close to ideal as you can before you start. Four pounds of pressure are exerted on the feet, ankles, knees, hips and low back for each extra pound of body weight, with every step you take. Have fun!!
    Come sail away, come sail away, come and sail away with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3yw...ure=plpp_video

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya all going to have some big time fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check the trail conditions around Mt. Killington (VT). I went there a little over a month ago. The trail was obliterated for at least 3 miles. The detour signs were hard to spot.
    David Smolinski

Images

My buddy John (Quoddy) did it in 07 and he was 67 years old. Just keep walkin!

Thanks to all for comments, suggestions and good wishes. If you're on the LT NOBO in September, say hello. SamA

I hike a lot with a guy who's 66 (25 years my senior) in VT as well as in the Whites, in the ADK's, and in Maine, and he seems to do just fine. Poles, obviously, will be a huge help. Even at my young age I find that periodic rest days are pretty important. Try scheduling, say, one zero day out of every week. That will go a long way toward forestalling physical breakdown.

Images

I am 56 and doing an e2e LT starting around Aug. 14. I finished Springer to Harpers Ferry (1,000 mi) at 54, it is all doable. I am a fitness nut so I have been training since Feb. Lost 41 lbs. and increased strength by 30%-50%. I am a big believer in strength training for legs, getting up those hills takes a lot of strength. I also took 6.5 lbs out of my AT base pack wt., now 14.3 lbs. Good luck to us all!!!!

Images

Good luck to you and enjoy yourself! Doubting yourself will only do you in and make you fail... it did to me on my attempt last month. Stay positive and happy hiking!

Journal Entries
    Images

Check out my instructions for not getting lost in VT: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ght=killington
    David Smolinski

Cabbagehead, Thanks for the heads up and directions. Hopefully, by the time we hit that area, it'll be more clearly marked. SamA

1. Really focus on losing weight right now - every pound will help.
    2. Get poles.
    3. Go slower on the down hills.
    4. Let your son carry all the common equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++