WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Loop trails near Ga. Campgrounds

My son and I have been looking for a campground in Ga. Where we can set up camp and do some 10-15mile trails during the day then return to the campground at night. We are experienced hikers just looking for a weekend of " slack packing". I am not sure if the Black Mountain Stae Park has any substantial LOOP trails to hike. Any suggestions?

Gator65

Vogel, State Park. Coosa Backcountry Trail, 13 mi loop start & finish in the park. Check in at the office for a permit.

Also, if you go a little ways into North Carolina, Standing Indian Campground has some great loops.
    Last edited by Hoop; 06-28-2012 at 22:20.

Try FDR state Park near Columbus and and Pine Mountain. 23 mile trail and side connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 65 View Post
    My son and I have been looking for a campground in Ga. Where we can set up camp and do some 10-15mile trails during the day then return to the campground at night. We are experienced hikers just looking for a weekend of " slack packing". I am not sure if the Black Mountain Stae Park has any substantial LOOP trails to hike. Any suggestions?

Gator65
    Thats got Vogel SP written all over it... Coosa Back Country/ Blood Mountain Via the HairBear/BMT Duncan Ridge Trail... Ur Golden...

Another vote for Vogel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this to the "General" forums.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like Vogel is the place where we will go. For a side item, I hiked Shenandoah National Park last month and had some very wet days so I hope the fires will not be too destructive. I still consider the Park the best part of the trail after the 100 Mile wilderness on my 2009 thru hike. There is nothing like a milkshake and cheeseburger every day!

Gator 65

Vogel is good, but theres alot of motorcycle noise there. AND it's just up the road from Mountain Crossings, which is a must go.

Had a pair of 'little' fuzzy animals turn my cooler there last year....i dont mean racoons.

++ New Posts ++