WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    its the age old question between Donation and Entitlement, I prefer to give, and never expect return,

Yes I have given in the past.
    This is not an age old question but a recent one (from an anthropological perspective). The natural circumstance of birth into a tribe means that we ARE entitled to survival resources acquired by the communal effort. I would say that it's exceedingly rare to come across someone who understands that our economy is a machine that transforms natural energy into human survival energy aka HUMAN LIFE. All money is an abstraction of human life. There are places in the world where a dollar IS the difference between a humans life and death. I kind of get off on the wendy's value menu from this perspective. Makes a dollar cheeseburger luxuriously decadent to consider the last bite as someones last breath.

People aren't wonderful. They survive according to rules and those rules condition behavior. I find it interesting how often karma is mentioned in connection to "goodness". I mean, to me, the whole concept of worrying about punishment or reward is just a maturation of the santa claus scenario. I mean the idea of a force that balances our desired conditions with our actions is absurd. Why repeat such pablum?

Dumb topic anyhow. I mean, like wia is gonna base her actions on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Heyoka View Post
    This is not an age old question but a recent one (from an anthropological perspective). The natural circumstance of birth into a tribe means that we ARE entitled to survival resources acquired by the communal effort. I would say that it's exceedingly rare to come across someone who understands that our economy is a machine that transforms natural energy into human survival energy aka HUMAN LIFE. All money is an abstraction of human life. There are places in the world where a dollar IS the difference between a humans life and death. I kind of get off on the wendy's value menu from this perspective. Makes a dollar cheeseburger luxuriously decadent to consider the last bite as someones last breath.

People aren't wonderful. They survive according to rules and those rules condition behavior. I find it interesting how often karma is mentioned in connection to "goodness". I mean, to me, the whole concept of worrying about punishment or reward is just a maturation of the santa claus scenario. I mean the idea of a force that balances our desired conditions with our actions is absurd. Why repeat such pablum?

Whatever dude,"it takes a village" can't help but notice your location,lots of free thinkers down that way?,I can count at least 10 new members from that area,hmm,friends of yours?

"Give to Get"...like you give an opinion,and in return you get this reply,It's one of lifes little secrets.Freud spoke about this

"alway's do for otheres and let others do for you"~Bob Dylan

Nothing new about any of this,"And told Noah to biuld a boat 40 feet high" He did this and now we got you,get it ?
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-01-2012 at 15:11.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trite, writing that gets the simple message across is important while blogging. While I have a sense of honor and a little pride, I would not ask a stranger or possibly a friend for a handout. Philosophical this is not recent - Jane Goodall brought to light this:

"Among Goodall's more significant discoveries were the close-knit social ties and complex relationships within chimpanzee groups, maintained by networks of grooming and food sharing. She noted that the powerful loving bonds between mothers and their offspring, and laterally among siblings, created mother-centric groupings. These, along with sex, food sharing and grooming, were the glue of chimpanzee society."

When a Monkey succeeds in a food source they eat in the order of the strongest males first then the females, this allows the males to continue to hunt - but a non sibling will receive a handout to prevent starvation of the tribe. Should the lesser or adolescent males win a food source they are expected to do the same.

Considerable study amongst remote tribal societies have shown instances of this culture occurring without money. Why question the emotional "karma" when people are emotional about kindness?

What was this about ? " I mean, like wia is gonna base her actions on this thread?"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

So, if I offer you a Diet Coke, you immediately calculate "what my angle is"?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This actually happened to me at the gas station/c-store on the outskirts of Duncannon.A person dropped a ten dollar bill in my lap while I was stuffing my face with food.
    In 2011 I was sitting at the Doyle waiting for it to open for lunch when an elderly lady pulled up and parked in front of the bank next door. I waved and said hi when she walked in. A few minutes later she came out and walked over to me and handed me a $10. I politely refused and tried to give it back to her but she would not accept it. I assured her that I was OK and didn't need the money but she said I was "refusing her a blessing" if I didn't take it. I took the money and thanked her, she then walked down the street with a hand full of tens. Iceaxe, sounds like the same lady.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't Chin - but he might tell you to get him a cherry regular coke instead. Yes I am being sarcastic in good fun.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

For this being such a "dumb topic," Heyoka sure did go to great lengths to answer it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Whatever dude,"it takes a village" can't help but notice your location,lots of free thinkers down that way?,I can count at least 10 new members from that area,hmm,friends of yours?
    Maybe we will, at some later date, have a "How Do You Shake a "Heyoka?"" thread.

I would be looking for Mary Ellen to save me............
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Maybe we will, at some later date, have a "How Do You Shake a "Heyoka?"" thread.

I hope not,I kinda like how he thinks,flawed as it may be.

Dude, whatever kind of blazing you're doing, quit bogarting. Pass that sh--stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    For this being such a "dumb topic," Heyoka sure did go to great lengths to answer it.
    That was my second thought after wondering what he was smoking.

Call it a hunch,but that dog syill has some fight in him.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Must come from strong stock,maybe the fugowies tribe.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-01-2012 at 15:31. Reason: oh no please,it's happening again,I'm already drained from woo's post this morning,my cheeks can't take anymore.

Journal Entries
    Images

Its hard to believe the cons had made it onto the trail. I suppose there are exceptions to this. Like many I'll help when I can when someone is in need. the key here is "need". I met a fellow at the Walasyi (spelling off, sorry) who went to town, came back drunk, wanted help for food. I told him to go to bed.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

So, if I offer you a Diet Coke, you immediately calculate "what my angle is"?
    You think I'm fat, or else you would have offered me a regular Coke.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
    You think I'm fat, or else you would have offered me a regular Coke.
    No it's one of those "little plastic bottles....from NYC."

Woo

When your post mentioned tribe and entitlement it reminded me of when I was back in high school and the bussed in inter-city students felt they were entitled to bum money from us. They would come up and say "hey man, lemme hola quarta" or "gimme a quarta". It didn't take long to figure out why they were approaching so then we would just ask them first and "they be sayin' sheeeeeeeee" before they could even get their entitled mouths open.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++