WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

$29 (+ shipping) for less than 2 gallons would be a budget breaker, I imagine. (https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.a...products_id=49) My #2 son was not able to tolerate milk for quite a while. We had to get the soy milk and soy milk powder which was bad enough price-wise. He's outgrown it, fortunately.

Good luck on your search and hike.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Actually... I was quite serious. It is easy to make a powder from almond milk. I've tried it with several brands and had great success. It takes a teeny bit more to reconstitute than instant milk powder but is totally worth the effort (imo).

I have lactose intolerance, but find that the times when I reconstituted powdered milk, it didn't bother me at all. I wonder if going to powder and back reduces the lactose?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by myakka_ View Post
    I have lactose intolerance, but find that the times when I reconstituted powdered milk, it didn't bother me at all. I wonder if going to powder and back reduces the lactose?
    I don't know about lactose intolerance, but I get intestinal upset with liquid milk and can confirm that reconstituted dry milk doesn't seem to be noticed by my system.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Instant soy milk is available at Asian market in single serve packets.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    It may not be a "vegan thing", I am interested because I am lactose intolerant. I can have a small amount of dairy, but would not even chance the conseguences on the trial.
    So go with powdered soy milk.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Almond milk can also be purchased in single serve drink boxes. Even walmart has them. My wife bought some for my last kayak trip and it was perfect. I opened one a day to make my milkshake in the morning.

I also prefer the flavor of almond milk to soymilk and would love to find an instant version. The instant coconut milk I looked at all contained dairy products. Until that happens, the Asian markets carry "Soy Drink" in individual serving packets $2.19/10 pack. My children enjoy it on their breakfast cereal. Super convenient, but too sweet for my taste. They also carry a pudding mix, but it did not congeal.Asian markets are also a good source for rice noodles.I'm sorry people can be so rude. Food alergies/sensitivities/intolerances are no fun and add complications, especially when backpacking.I mix ground almonds with nutritional yeast and salt for a cheesy-ish topping that tastes pretty good.Best of luck to you!
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a milk allergy, though. An allergy is an immune system response. Lactose intolerance is when your gut doesn't produce lactase, the enzyme needed to digest dairy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...e-intolerance/

There's no way to permanently improve lactose intolerance- eating yogurt/probiotics or taking dairy supplements helps temporarily, but that's not easy to do on the trail. Eating more dairy doesn't work. Seriously.

Also, not all allergies can be cured through desensitization, and it's definitely not just as easy as "getting a dog" if you're allergic to them. That can actually be really dangerous if you have a severe allergy.

I am familiar with immune responses, most scratch tests are above 45 things that one can be allergic too. And yes getting a dog works. It takes 8 -10 months to desensitize to the enzymes in the saliva - I have had three rounds at 5+ years apart and am thankful for all those shots. I was allergic to many animals, grasses, pollens, and still have a problem with horses. And right now University of Pittsburgh is working on a "patch" for desensitizing children for Peanut Butter - be thankful when that gets approved -less kids will die.

This is blogging and perhaps because of word choices you are reading too much into my replies. Welcome to WB.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

While it isn't light, I carry for my youngest the shelf-stable single serving boxes of So Delicious coconut milk. Our youngest (who is 2) has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and dairy. Anyhow, thankfully coconut milk is OK for him. I am very careful when we travel as I have no desire to have ANY issues with his health. For that, I'll carry the bulk/weight!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Thank you! This will come in handy at home too when gluten-free recipes call for powdered milk.

Here is a post with a video showing how I did it....
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by off-pher View Post
    News flash..........................Milk comes from cows, goats, your mother NOT almonds
    Did ya see the bit by comedian Lewis Black on Soy Milk? There's no such thing as a soy titty. Almond meal is just crushed up dried almonds. Almond milk is different. I've never seen dried(powdered) almond milk but am fairly sure it does exist so keep searching for it. Since you're lactose intolerant you might try powdered coconut milk too which I do use on trail.

Oh, and of course, there's powdered soy milk too. The vanilla flavored is pretty tasty IMHO, even in coffee.

BTW, powdered vanilla, chocolate, and unflavored soy milk I've bought in 10-14 oz cans, which makes umpteen gallons of soy milk, for about $8- $10 so it isn't very expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++