WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Powdered almond milk?

I would like to find a source for powdered almond milk. I've looked through this forum and elsewhere on line and the best I cold come up with is almond meal. When you add water you get a substance which looks something like milk but tastes, well... mealy. The only way to salvage it is to filter it and that is way too complicated for my liking. Has anyone heard of such a product in the powdered form?
    Ole Slo

One must,above all,endure.
    ernest hemingway

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ole slo View Post
    I would like to find a source for powdered almond milk. I've looked through this forum and elsewhere on line and the best I cold come up with is almond meal. When you add water you get a substance which looks something like milk but tastes, well... mealy. The only way to salvage it is to filter it and that is way too complicated for my liking. Has anyone heard of such a product in the powdered form?
    A simple search on Yahoo and Google produced multiple results. Just sayin'. Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

It's simple... make your own using a dehydrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    None of the results are actually almond milk powder, though. The second result, "almond powder," is some kind of artificial stuff- the first three ingredients are sugar, coffee creamer, and glucose. Ew.

I've also looked for almond milk powder, but I couldn't find a US source for almond milk powder and didn't want to pay to have it shipped overseas. I did find some instructions on making it using a dehydrator though:

http://s3.zetaboards.com/For_My_Jee/topic/7537366/1/

Journal Entries
    Images

Well one cannot help but try... suggest dropping the vegan thing and go Nido.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

how does it taste with Via?

It may not be a "vegan thing", I am interested because I am lactose intolerant. I can have a small amount of dairy, but would not even chance the conseguences on the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    Would that work for making powdered water too?
    "A frog in a well does not know the great ocean" - Japanese Proverb

Hike Prep Blog - http://psrat.blogspot.com/

Wish it was so easy to just "drop the lactose intolerant thing", hah.

Images

Is powdered almond milk not just almonds that have been powdered, added to water? I made my own soy milk by soaking, cooking, and dehydrating soy beans (to get rid of the things in them that make you fart), and then tossing them in the coffee grinder and making them powdered. Now I just mix soy bean powder in to water to make soy milk on the trail. I got this idea from having made soy milk the real way and straining out the fiber and then wondering why, in fact, I was straining out fiber when fiber is fiber and couldn't hurt me.

I'd imagine that since the process of making almond (or for that matter, rice) milk is similar to making soy milk, grinding up dried almonds might be the way to go, especially since you can eat raw dried almonds without farting so you don't even need to go through the trouble of cooking and dehydrating them first.

News flash..........................Milk comes from cows, goats, your mother NOT almonds

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    Exactly! I do buy it though if I am very busy that month.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." - John Muir
    My Outdoors Blog | Emergency Outdoors - Your source for outdoor, camping, survival and emergency preparedness gear

Why the snarky comments about almond milk? Didn't realize it was such a controversial topic!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Wish it was so easy to just "drop the lactose intolerant thing", hah.
    Well yes you can. I was highly allergic to many things as a child - Poison Ivy - would almost hospitallize me... I can handle it today with little reaction.....

Alergic to dogs? Get One. 6 months later the reactions stop.

Milk Allergies are now solved with Milk Cookies.... in increasing content. So Yes Lactose intolerance is from avoiding foods, consuming them build immunity. Reduce your sugar intake as much as possible and consume a little milk each day after a few weeks add a little more... the body will fix itself over time....
    Oh and I never ment to be snarky.... and Laurie Ann is right the dehydrator roll up tray with a non stick spray should do it....

Milk allergy treated with a new desensitization strategy

Booster Shots: Oddities, musings and news from the
    health world

March 21, 2011|By Shari Roan, Los Angeles Times

Milk allergy is common and stubborn. Children who do not outgrow their milk problems will probably have a lifelong allergy, experts say. But new tactics are emerging to help children become desensitized to milk, including one reported Monday at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology in San Francisco.
    Desensitization involves giving someone tiny amounts of the substance he or she is allergic to over a period of time so that the body adapts to it without provoking an allergic response. This approach can be successful, studies show, but it does take a long time and a lot of patience.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-14-2012 at 23:52.

Woo

Lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a milk allergy, though. An allergy is an immune system response. Lactose intolerance is when your gut doesn't produce lactase, the enzyme needed to digest dairy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...e-intolerance/

There's no way to permanently improve lactose intolerance- eating yogurt/probiotics or taking dairy supplements helps temporarily, but that's not easy to do on the trail. Eating more dairy doesn't work. Seriously.

Also, not all allergies can be cured through desensitization, and it's definitely not just as easy as "getting a dog" if you're allergic to them. That can actually be really dangerous if you have a severe allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a milk allergy, though. An allergy is an immune system response. Lactose intolerance is when your gut doesn't produce lactase, the enzyme needed to digest dairy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...e-intolerance/

There's no way to permanently improve lactose intolerance- eating yogurt/probiotics or taking dairy supplements helps temporarily, but that's not easy to do on the trail. Eating more dairy doesn't work. Seriously.

Also, not all allergies can be cured through desensitization, and it's definitely not just as easy as "getting a dog" if you're allergic to them. That can actually be really dangerous if you have a severe allergy.
    Instead of almond milk, can you tolerate goats' milk? If you can, it is available as powder much more widely than almond milk.

I've also seen almond milk in the single serve tetra packs in most grocery stores. I know the weight of liquid milk in tetra packs is going to be more than that of powdered milk but it's another alternative.

And yes, going up a trail, any trail with the results of ingesting dairy when you're lactose intolerant would be a very slow, painful trip!! At least if you react to it the way I do...sigh!

The other thing that came to mind just after I hit 'post' is powdered coconut milk.

I use it here at home instead of canned coconut milk and it reconstitutes quite nicely. I use it in my curry recipe amongst others.

I've not tried it but I think it would taste wonderful in homemade hot chocolate and would do fine for on cereal too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++