WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sleeping Pads...what to get?

Hiked from Springer to Neels Gap last summer...headed back this summer for a longer hike...used a cheap walmart sleeping pad, want to upgrade.

Suggestions?

Many thanks.

the thermarest neoair is very common on the trail. I own sleeping pads from a company called Exped (both the model 7 and 9). These are great pieces of gear and have held up well. I have had both for several years and many nights/miles on the trail.The 9 is more for winter camping than long distance hiking.Maybe not the lightest option out there but it is well worth it to me to get a good night's rest.

My favorite pad for three season use is the Thermarest Prolite Plus in large. The 25 inches across keeps my knees and elbows happy. An even better pad for 3+ seasons is the yellow 40th Anniversary pad at 2 inches thick. 4R vs 3.8R for Prolite Plus. These two pads are part of my standard kit load, either one, and in January/February I favor the Exped Downmat 9.

Ridgerest. it's all i've ever used

Hike smarter, not harder.

Exped Synmat UL 7. Although I've gotten great service from my POE Max Thermo/Ether Elite.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

What's a sleeping pad??

Six posts and nobody's mentioned hammocks yet?

The key issues for sleeping pads for me are. 1. comfort 2. total weight 3. cost 4. durability. You have to put these factors in the correct order for you. I hike in April and October and sleep in shelters 90% of the time. When I started hiking I put these factors in this order: 1 cost, 2 weight, 3 durability, 4 comfort. So I started at Springer with a blue foam pad. 300 miles later I switch to heavy thermarest self inflating air mattress. 300 miles later I switched to the Neoair. It cost more, weighed much less, has excellent comfort on the hard boards of the shelter but is not very durable because I had to fix a leak after 600 miles. So that is what I use now, it cost a bit more, it is very light, it takes a bit more to blow it up and you have to handle it with care, but it sleeps great on a hard floor.

Images

Thermarest ProLite 3/4 length works great for me (side sleeper). Light, compact, much more comfortable than closed cell. Yes there are some more comfortable pads out there, but this is my compromise, all things considered.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Neoair here

Exped Synmat UL 7 is 25" wide, which the elbows like. Also you can get a pillow, a little bag-thingie, and a larger sack that connect to the pad to inflate.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

200 + nights on a Neo Air. Wouldn't use anything else.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I like my prolite plus, but I'd get a neo air if i had it to do again. got it on sale though. Popped a serious set of holes in it (well, my roommates dog did waking me up one morning), sent it back to thermarest and now it holds air really well for $20.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whats the problem? Back or warmth. @ 37 I think your fine with the WalMart Pads. Back neo air. Cold a high end Big Agnes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Z-rest foam pad for three season use. I add a pro-lite on top of it in the winter. I have a personal preference to things that's cant puncture or deflate due to my personal (clumsy) style of hiking.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 07-03-2012 at 21:36.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I have an air core Big Agnes (when I'm not hammocking ) but I slide all over and off it. I'm going to put little sticky pads on it for the next time.

++ New Posts ++