WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Section Hiking: 4.5% complete TheBirdman's Avatar

Is wool not HOT in summer? I've never tried it in summer, but wearing wool in 95* heat and 80%+ humidity seems like a death wish

I pretty exclusively wear either a REI Safari shirt (I've got a couple in long sleeved and short sleeved) or just an underarmor HeatGear Tactical shirt (semi-loose fitting kind).

I treat both in bug season.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdman View Post
    Is wool not HOT in summer? I've never tried it in summer, but wearing wool in 95* heat and 80%+ humidity seems like a death wish
    I always wonder why folks get this confused.... Sheep don't have a choice and keep in mind we fought many military battles in high heat and the uniforms were wool. Prior to the Revolutionary to the Civil and into WW1, and 2. Long before the invention of air conditioning...

Wool traps air close to the body, but is a durable breathable fiber. It's an excellent fabric and in some cases is better than cotton for its wicking capabilities.

Think ... example - having a head of hair is hot in summer, having a head of hair is a death wish...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-21-2012 at 05:46.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My favorite is a nylon fisherman's shirt with netted vents built-in, long-sleeve with buttons to hold the rolled up sleeves.

If no mosquitos or no-see-ums or black flys, my next favorite hot weather shirt is 100% rayon. I work hard to find oversize big rayon shirts of solid color or subtle pattern. For some reason, most have a loud pattern design that are too much for the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have one but they are rarely available at REI.. Great Shirt.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

+1 for the Smartwool Microlight wool T shirt. Yeah it's expensive at $70 but it's comfortable in hot as well as cool temps. The best part is it won't stink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiking/Running Dress. Wear with a long sleeve top if needed.

http://www.rei.com/product/831064/sporthill-charlotte-running-dress-special-buy

Native Norwegian Polar Bear Tor's Avatar
    "Adventure Is Just Bad Planning" - Roald Amundsen

Long sleeve poly T-shirt in the cold or when I'm exposed to sun much, short sleeve the rest of the time. I wore the same short sleeve T-shirt from Damascus to Kathadin.

Images

This is my main hiking t-shirt - sometimes I'll add a fleece sweater or long sleeve, or whatever but this is the basic one - - it's stupid expensive (I got a pro-deal price on 2 of them) but one has done about 800 miles of hiking and it is a seriously great shirt:

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx...Light-Athletic

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

100% polyester button up dress shirt at goodwill. when buttons pop off, twisty ties. $2. money!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    100% polyester button up dress shirt at goodwill. when buttons pop off, twisty ties. $2. money!

yep - this was what I thru-hiked in (basically) - over long distances though, you have to deal with the stench -- I mean this kind of thing will reek. you live in germantown, TN - - that's pretty swanky - just poney up for the goods dude - - are you a trustafarian pretending to be homeless or something? My friend (J Apperson) is from Germantown - I can smell money even over the internet
    Last edited by Papa D; 12-08-2012 at 22:46.

i wear a patagonia,capalien 2.i dries super fast with no odor.i dont hike without a shirt ,it causes flooding in the south if i may too bold.

Images

A little outside the box, but I have settled on a merino lightweight t shirt (icebreaker is my favorite). The sleeves are cyclists removable sleeves (smart wool is my favorite). Remove the sleeves at will. Put in pocket. Adds to my layering system as well. YMMV

I agree with many that permethrin is the way to go for insect proof. Looser fitting with tight cuffs will add a lot of protection. But I have been amazed how good a regular dose of permethrin to my clothing just keeps insects AWAY.

Images

Hot weather - cheap fishing shirt, long sleeved if sun sensitive.
    Cooler weather - as above with Icebreaker T shirt.
    Cold weather - as above with Icebreaker long sleeved shirt.
    Really cold weather - ditch the fishing shirt into the pack and put the fleece over one or both Icebreakers.
    Treat fishing shirt liberally with permethrin. Fleece shouldn't need it.

Images

The sleeves are cyclists removable sleeves (smart wool is my favorite). Remove the sleeves at will. Put in pocket. Adds to my layering system as well. YMMV
    I love these! Sunsleeves. They make my shirts convertable. I wear a Go-Lite tee with sunsleeves. In cold weather, long-sleeve Patagonia. In very cold weather, the long-sleeve plus the tee and sunsleeves.

Something else to think about is that if this is for mosquito protection, you might want something with a high neck or a collar so it keeps bugs from getting under your headnet.

Patagonia Cap 2 long sleeve. Light weight, breathable, comfortable, fast drying, not smelly, very awesome.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=44811-0-055

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    A little outside the box, but I have settled on a merino lightweight t shirt (icebreaker is my favorite). The sleeves are cyclists removable sleeves (smart wool is my favorite). Remove the sleeves at will. Put in pocket. Adds to my layering system as well. YMMV
    Where do you get a merino wool removeable sleeve shirt, do you have a link? I googled this, & am unable to find this.

thanks!

Images

hike naked with a bug net around your body..
    "find what you love and let it kill you" -c.b.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++