WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Snakes at night

The rattlesnake you helped to eat is a protected species in North Carolina. If a Federal or State Wildlife officer had seen all of you eating it, all would have been given misdemeanor citations. Its a Class 1 midsemeanor so you would have to appear before a judge, he would have a great deal of lattitude in doling out the punishment including a large fine and/or imprisonment. The cost of court alone is now approaching $200.00 and this would be in addition to any other fine or punishment. Bon appetite!

After I read your post I went and checked, and you are correct. The Eastern Diamondback is on the NC endangered list, and the Carolina Pigmy, and the Timber Rattler are on the NC special concern list. Knowing this, I will not kill and eat these snakes in the future, but if I come into a camp and there is one on the grill, I'll have to educate the people who did the killing before I have some. That sounds kind of smartie pantsy, and I don't mean for it to be taken that way. Just if the snake is all ready on the grill, it's a little late. BUT--I'm glad you brought this to my attention as I did not know that these snakes were that low in population numbers.

Images

maybe they should have had chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    BUT--I'm glad you brought this to my attention as I did not know that these snakes were that low in population numbers.
    I've killed my share of Diamondbacks in my youth, now I rarely even see one. Development seems to be their biggest enemy. It's a good thing when we can learn and change habits.

Hell, when I was a child sea turtle eggs were sometimes served by my poaching kin folks, I would even think of doing it now.

Sometimes we adjust to past damage we have done.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I wouldn't even think of doing it now.

correction......
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Did you forget the smiley or are we good?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Did you forget the smiley or are we good?

If you can read this

If the snake is on the grill and you're sitting there eating it, the wildlife officer is not going to try to figure out who killed it or who the most guilty party is, he's going to cite you and everyone else there and let a judge sort it out. If the wildlife folks can figure out who you are they can even pay you a visit and issue a warning based on what you've said in this forum. Happened to a friend of mine in West Jefferson who often talked about eating rattlesnakes. One day Federal and State law enforcement officials showed up at his workplace and issued the warning. Needless to say no one knows if he still eats rattlesnakes or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    People that starts these threads are looking for Educated and informed advice with exsperience not "Smart A$$ remarks" if you can't don't post.
    Every time I go hiking, I keep looking down and thinking there's a 12-inch snake in my pants.

If I come up with a better smart-ass remark, I'll let you know.

You misread the ruler...That's in centimeters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchin' Post View Post
    Every time I go hiking, I keep looking down and thinking there's a 12-inch snake in my pants.

If I come up with a better smart-ass remark, I'll let you know.
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaam

Images

no he has a pistol in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I've killed my share of Diamondbacks in my youth, now I rarely even see one. Development seems to be their biggest enemy. It's a good thing when we can learn and change habits.

Hell, when I was a child sea turtle eggs were sometimes served by my poaching kin folks, I would even think of doing it now.

WM maybe you remember this. Back in the 70's maybe even further, but that's as far as I can remember there was a guy they called gatorman/turtleman, some even called him the nut in the swamp. He lived on the west side of Kirk Rd in Palm Springs between 10th Ave N and Purdy Lane. It's where we went to buy gator, turtle, frog legs and rattle snake. He eventually got licensed by the state to ship nationally, except for snake. That guy had some good stuff. But don't go there between 11am and 1pm - that's when he's taking his nap. (LOL)
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Sorry folks, but i am not scared of flying snakes at night it's the sharks and sting rays that freak me out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
    Sorry folks, but i am not scared of flying snakes at night it's the sharks and sting rays that freak me out.
    I'm not scared of nuthin' that flies at night if it has to get tangled in my hair, a lost cause fer almost any critter!

NOW, one thang I am scared of is those big spiders across the trail at night. You know the ones I'm speakin' of! Their legs are about twelve inches across and they weigh about half a pound and they're RIGHT AT face level. I'm convinced they are going for the only hair I've got, my eyebrows and mustache!

And the worst thing is their psychological warfare! They only show up in the beam of yer headlamp just about point-five micro-seconds before you walk into them, so you KNOW what's about to happen, but there's no way you can stop yerself! Now, that's just a plain mind-altering experience that makes you want your mama while you're wetting your pants.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-08-2012 at 10:59.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    NOW, one thang I am scared of is those big spiders across the trail at night. You know the ones I'm speakin' of! Their legs are about twelve inches across and they weigh about half a pound and they're RIGHT AT face level. I'm convinced they are going for the only hair I've got, my eyebrows and mustache!
    Now why did you have to bring this up?
    These are much worse than flying snakes because they actually exist.
    Now we've ruined night hiking for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm not scared of nuthin' that flies at night if it has to get tangled in my hair, a lost cause fer almost any critter!

NOW, one thang I am scared of is those big spiders across the trail at night. You know the ones I'm speakin' of! Their legs are about twelve inches across and they weigh about half a pound and they're RIGHT AT face level. I'm convinced they are going for the only hair I've got, my eyebrows and mustache! .

those dont bother me cuz im not on point, for good reasons.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++