WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default I need a new Cook Pot

It is long past time to retire my Enamel/steel 1.5 qt. cook pot. Can I get some ideas for a replacement. I like to cook, not just boil water.

If you like to cook, then Snow Peak has some non=stick pots that might fit the bill. I do not use non-stick except for a small off-brand skillet that is losing its teflon. Tell us how many you are cooking for and someone on here might just have an extra laying around they might part with. BTW,I have had no problems buying anything from WB members.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    If you like to cook, then Snow Peak has some non=stick pots that might fit the bill. I do not use non-stick except for a small off-brand skillet that is losing its teflon. Tell us how many you are cooking for and someone on here might just have an extra laying around they might part with. BTW,I have had no problems buying anything from WB members.
    I will be cooking for 2 at most, most of the time. I have a few different pots and pans, and I use a pocket rocket and the wind screen from my whisperlite. My steel pot housed my old Peak 1 perfect. But, alas it is time to upgrade to something lighter.

Images

Evernew has non-stick titanium pots.

Images

I use a Snow Peak 700! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Go visite your neerest Outfitter their are thousands of them.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Yes of course, but to save gas and time I'm here to ask my cyber-hiking peeps , favorites...web sites.....price...narrow it down.... you know 2 sites already Snow-peak and Evernew
    Last edited by coach lou; 07-03-2012 at 16:48.

Images

Lot of folks like something like a 1.3 liter pot for 2 people. Evernew makes a good one

Okay i use a "REI titanium 1 person" sorry about the outfitter thing but they are the best places to go for advice.RED-DOG

Images

Okay i use a "REI titanium 1 person" sorry about the outfitter thing but they are the best places to go for advice.RED-DOG
    I'm not pointing fingers or makin' fun, so chill folks... I actually do hike... some of my gear is older than some WBers. I truely have found this site to be very helpful in many ways and this is one of them..............and some of you folks seem to be really nice people. Now I got 3 to check out tonite.

Images

The nearest outfitters to Williamsburg, are either in Hampton or Richmond. They are usually staffed by kids that just happened to get a retail job for the summer and know nothing of the gear they are selling. It costs too much gas money and too many headachs to go to the so called local outfitters. Id much rather get some opinions online and mail order the product.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    It is long past time to retire my Enamel/steel 1.5 qt. cook pot. Can I get some ideas for a replacement. I like to cook, not just boil water.
    I understand the pleasure of cooking and not just boiling water (not saying either is right or wrong). I did a thru with light weigh stainless steel (not enameled) that never needed more than a good sand scrub on a rare stick to the pot meal. However my fry pan was non stick.

Now days all my pots and fry pans (lids) are non stick, usually aluminum. You have to be more careful with heat levels than steel but it's a quick learning curve. I really find the non stick to be a lick it clean kinda set up.

I have no experience with titanium stuff, probably never will.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

All my pots are taller and narrow, rather than shorter and wider. If I was going to cook a meal in the pot, I'd think the shoter wider pot would lend it self better to clean up.jm2c

There really are so many good choices these days it is hard to help someone else. +1 on Evernew. I have a few GSI pots that I like very much including a kettle and a wok. One thing I would say is to buy a non-stick version of whatever brand you like. I have a lot of older well used and well loved cooking gear in aluminum and stainless that stays at home now just because it is so easy to clean my newer non-stick pots.

Images

I'm liking the looks of the Evernew Line. Anyone have that pasta pot w/strainer lid?

I used to have a 1.5 liter cooking pot.

I am not cooking for two. I eat a smaller amount, and so, I have a Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra.

I like the open top design so I can see what I am cooking in there. This is the same as the 1.5 liter SWIX stainless steel cooking pot for backpacking I had used. I still have it, but it is relegated to camping.

The Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra has sufficient volume for any meals I cook in it or for any FBC meals.

This one has a strainer lid.

Based on my experience, I recommend 750 ml.

I recommend titanium. In my experience, the titanium cookware doesn't get beat up like aluminum or even stainless steel cookware designed for backpacking. It cleans up with a swipe of plastic mesh from the produce section. Plus, titanium scores appearance points. It always looks good.

Thumbs up

Dump the pot and switch to Freezer Bag Cooking.

http://www.trailcooking.com/

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Dump the pot and switch to Freezer Bag Cooking.

http://www.trailcooking.com/
    Ed, I'll check out your link thanks...............but, I like to cook. I have checked out the 4 sites that have been suggested so far, thanks. I think I'm liking the whole Evernew line.
    Rain stopped....gotta' ride!

If you haven't bought a non-stick pot in a while, it's worth knowing that most now have an enameled non-stick coating that is more durable than the old teflon films that always peeled off.

Journal Entries
    Images

Coach - couple of things that would change your decision

1. do you want it to nest - stove and fuel?
    2. do you want two one inside the other? Nesting pots use three pebbles and allow for baking. with diffuser
    3. Titanium is Uber light and exspensive, but poor at heat distribution.
    4. Close outs are rare, so IF you are going to do titanium - get points at REI to get the dividend in March April next year.

Here is one Closeout Titanium - no points. - no non-stick... its a suggestion

http://www.rei.com/product/842126/ms...-2011-closeout
    http://www.rei.com/product/842125/ms...-2011-closeout

Better choices....
    http://www.rei.com/search?query=cook+pot (4 pages worth.....)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++