WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anybody used 0 resuply mail drops?

i was wondering if anybody did no ressupply mail drops and how it worked for them? i understand the trading out winter for summer gear and vis-versa. i am talking about food.

Images

I've never used maildrops. Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Calhoun View Post
    i was wondering if anybody did no ressupply mail drops and how it worked for them? i understand the trading out winter for summer gear and vis-versa. i am talking about food.
    16,000 AT miles and never did a drop for food. not necessary

On my 2,093 mile AT hike last year, I had only 1 mail drop....7 days of freeze dried dinners that I picked up at the Monson post office prior to entering the 100 Mile Wilderness. I couldn't see carrying the weight of 7 days worth of tuna, peanut butter, cheese and tortillas in my pack for those 100 miles. I bought all my other food along the way, and there were just a few times when I really had to scrounge for something decent for the upcoming segment of my hike. I will say however that when I saw hikers eating food that they had picked up in mail drops, it seemed to me they were eating healthier food than me, but if I were to it again, I'd still go with only one drop in Monson.

When i Thru-Hiked in 06 i didn't use any mail drops at all, but this year i had about 5 and i decided i don't like the mail drop system, buying your food as you progress north or South it gives you more freedom to come and go from the trail as you decide to, i preffered to stay in the woods as long as possible,When you buy your food you don't have to go in a town just because you got a mail drop their, and lets say you got a drop in a certain town and you hike your butt off to get there just to find the PO closed then you have to wait until the next day. or you get their late saturday evening then you got to wait until monday to get it. Mail drops for me is a big hassle, but you might find that its better to have drops each person is different. RED-DOG

Garlic
    Images

None for me on the AT either. It's kind of ridiculous, how often you can buy food along that trail. You might have to hike a day or two with just hot dog buns and a jar of peanut butter, but that just adds to the fun in my opinion.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Same as Garlic. None for me during my '08 thru hike. I just can't be bothered with the hassle with the easy resupply along the trail. A few times I had crap supply from C stores until I could find something better, but hey, that's part of the fun.
    ..guess I'll keep a livin' till the day I die...

www.trailjournals.com/chuck2008

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

For all of you that don't do mail drops, let's see you do that on the PCt or the CDT or the Colorado Trail.

Images

Lots of folks use No mail drops on the AT, but as Different Socks point out, not possible out west

Okay, but were not talking about the west coast.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Okay, but were not talking about the west coast.
    Just trying to pint out that one wishes to do the AT with no mail drops, then it is a HYOH. But they will be hit with ahrad dose of trail reality when they attempt the other western trails and their pack is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Just trying to pint out that one wishes to do the AT with no mail drops, then it is a HYOH. But they will be hit with ahrad dose of trail reality when they attempt the other western trails and their pack is heavier.
    this is an AT forum specifically. nobody cares about the other trails

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this is an AT forum specifically. nobody cares about the other trails
    So I guess nobody should respond to the "East Coast Trail" post?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    So I guess nobody should respond to the "East Coast Trail" post?
    this is an AT mail drop forum. why the comprehension problem?

Images

I used no maildrops on the PCT until Washington. and then only Stahekin was absolutely required.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Lone wolf, dont try and use logic with him, its way too far over his head. An bamboo bob, you must be misremembering according to different socks becuase its impossible.... remember "Never argue with an idiot, because they will only bring you down to their level and beat you by experience."- John Guerro

What a great perspective. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    None for me on the AT either. It's kind of ridiculous, how often you can buy food along that trail. You might have to hike a day or two with just hot dog buns and a jar of peanut butter, but that just adds to the fun in my opinion.

Images

Okay,seriously. How do you walk all the way from Kennedy Mdws to Red's Mdws with out getting off the trail for food, not to mention the fact that getting to that food would be quite some distance to a store?

Images

And do me a favor, stop being so condescending!! We are both right about how to do it!! HYOH!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++