WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Considering an alcohol stove, what is a good choice?

I currently own a jet boil which I like a lot for the ease of use and how fast it is. For my through-hike though I am thinking about picking up an alcohol stove for lighter weight and easier to find fuel. Any recommendations on an alcohol stove, or a titanium pot? Also I have heard a piece of aluminum foil can make an adequate wind screen, is this good enough?

Google SuperCat stove, it's the easiest stove going because it's stove and pot stand all in one. For a windscreen, go a little heavier than foil and get a disposable oven drip pan from Wally World or equivalent. Still cuttable with scissors, more durable than foil.

The SC is good . Also compare the Caldea stove systems which you will find has some systemic advantages .You will find that alcohol is much lighter because you can manage the fuel weight better for the section you are walking.. More work but a better result.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I currently own a jet boil which I like a lot for the ease of use and how fast it is. For my through-hike though I am thinking about picking up an alcohol stove for lighter weight and easier to find fuel. Any recommendations on an alcohol stove, or a titanium pot? Also I have heard a piece of aluminum foil can make an adequate wind screen, is this good enough?
    I use an Evernew TI DX... it's stupid-expensive, but I love it! I use a Snowpeak 700 with it! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

If I want a stove I can make in 10 minutes for a $0.50 investment, I too am partial to the Supercat.

But if you want to buy one, many people like these: http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/
    It is maybe the most recommended of several cottage industries dealing in alcohol stoves. But there are others in this list.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hlight=cottage

Images

If you don't want to build one there's always the Trangia. Very durable, can store unused alcohol in the stove, simmer ring available, can be purchased along with pots & etc as a kit.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Mini-C...ywords=trangia
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

If you want to purchase one, Antigravity Gear sells an excellent one for $12. I got mine as part of the "Mama's Kitchen" many years ago. Still going strong with no sign of needing a replacement any time soon.

100% satisfied.

Images

I replaced the windscreen that came with the Mama's Kitchen with a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil folded over several times. I also include a small square of foil to place under the stove and pot when cooking on a picnic table - eliminates the possibility of contributing to the circular scorch marks that are so prevalent on picnic tables and shelter floors.

These do need to be replaced occasionally, but last at least a month of every day use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Google SuperCat stove, it's the easiest stove going because it's stove and pot stand all in one. For a windscreen, go a little heavier than foil and get a disposable oven drip pan from Wally World or equivalent. Still cuttable with scissors, more durable than foil.
    +1 dont forget the air holes and male tabs female slits to hold it together

Take a hard look at the Trail Designs Caldera Sidewinder system. Hard anodized 2 quart aluminum pot, 40 ml stove (you'll need less than an ounce to boil 2 cups of water), windscreen/cone, and it is only $60, all-in.

Most efficient alky rig on the planet; you have to trap all the heat when cooking with alcohol, it is the law. Can't tip it over, all the parts fit in the pot - includes 2 titanium skewers (they become the pot stand, horizontal thru the windscreen), Tyvek sleeve to roll the windscreen up in (protects the interior finish of the pot), small measuring cup (graduated in ml, ounces, tbsp - about an inch or so high and 3/4 inch in diameter) and a useless fuel bottle (which you don't need anyway).

Less than a pound. Best thing going in my view and it's the only stove I take along these days, but then I don't play outside in the snow and I don't slog through the monsoon anymore. If I did I'd be hauling my Optimus, with a 50-50 mix of gas and kerosene.

HYOH

Ben

After fiddling around with several commercially made types (including Trangia) and many of my own copies and original designs, I settled on a Caldera Cone TiTri from Ti Goat.
    Now directly from Trail Designs ?
    http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri
    Reasonably fast, fuel efficient and works in the wind..
    The Ti cone is light but strong so I don't have to baby that as I do with the al version I have for a different size pot.
    (I only boil water...)
    Franco

It doesn't get much better than the Super Cat stove. An old cat food can and a paper punch is all you need.

Don't let these guys pull your leg. Just about any alchy stove boils water in about 6 minutes with a wind screen.

Cheers!

Journal Entries
    Images

Gee the best alcohol stove is the sixth one you make..... after third one blows up.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Kinda hard to fly with singed feathers huh?

..... heheheheee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    It doesn't get much better than the Super Cat stove. An old cat food can and a paper punch is all you need.

Don't let these guys pull your leg. Just about any alchy stove boils water in about 6 minutes with a wind screen.

Cheers!
    Very True.

If you want to get geeky about weight, efficiency etc. I second the Trail Designs Caldera Cone suggestion.
    That is, if all you mainly do is boil water and rehydrate food in a plastic cup or bag.
    If you want to cook food in a pot you will want a pot more substantial than a beer can and thus the Super Cat makes more sense.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Images

Anyone have experience with the Brasslite Turbo 1D???

Images

Grim turned me on to the Vargo Decagon Ti alky stove but I haven't gotten it yet. It's 27 bucks, light and solid. Plus it's cool looking.

"

• Weight: 1.2 oz.
    • Burn Time: 20 Minutes
    • Bottom stability plate = 4.25 inches diameter
    • Height = 1.25 inches
    • Main canister = 2.25 inches diameter

WARNING:

• Never burn this stove indoors.
    • Only use denatured alcohol as fuel. Using white gas or other fuels will cause explosion and possible injury.
    • Be sure flame is fully extinguished before re-fueling."

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titaniu...kpacking-Stove

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    If you don't want to build one there's always the Trangia. Very durable, can store unused alcohol in the stove, simmer ring available, can be purchased along with pots & etc as a kit.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Mini-C...ywords=trangia
    I used the Mini this year and it worked excellent, 15oz of fuel for 5 days , one boil in the morning for my oatmeal, one boil for my Mt House or Pasta supper and one boil for my hot chocolate after dinner before bed. Never ran out of fuel and it was easy to find.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Kinda hard to fly with singed feathers huh?

..... heheheheee
    Burning Burning Burning - Ring of Fire......

For you youngsters - here is the reference -
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I make/sell stoves from Massachusetts (bottlestoves.com). Check out the videos and recommendations on youtube. They are at least 3 times more efficient than supercats, and durable.
    David Smolinski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++