WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Has anyone seen Animal?

Looking for my brother. Its been 15 days since I spoke to him last which is longer than usual. I talked to him last at Harpers Ferry on June 21 when he was heading back to the trail. I spoke to the Iron Masters hostil and he hasnt been by there yet or could have passed it by. Animal has walked with Lighthouse, steamroller and simpsey and many others. I got a hold of Simpsey who is off the trail for an injury. Steamroller has changed or disconnected his cell phone and I dont have lighthouses number. Animal walks with a 5 galon bucket. Everyone always comments on his bucket. I met with my brother and several hikers at the Roanoke Va stop a month back. Wished I would have gotten a few more contact numbers. Simpsey gave me this site and said I may have luck here. I know Animal will call as soon as he can. Just want to make sure he is ok. Has anyone seen him lately? Thank you in advance.

****bump****

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    ****bump****
    Thank you so much for the bump canoe! I also wanted to add that we sent a package to a mail drop that hasnt been claimed yet. He sould have been there by now. Also, If you would like to see what my brother, Animal looks like. Fatherman makes you tube video's of his journey and just happened to include my brother in one. Here is the link to FM's you tube entry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-C_RcJde_M Thank you again everyone for getting the word out.

Images

check with the general store at pine grove furnace state park. maybe he ate his half gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    check with the general store at pine grove furnace state park. maybe he ate his half gallon.
    I checked there and Bears Den. He hasnt made it to either location.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
    I checked there and Bears Den. He hasnt made it to either location.
    if you saw him in harpers ferry he was already past the bears den.

which direction is he heading. You know there was a terrible storm in VA and PA last week. Maybe he is slowed down by blow downs etc

if you saw him in harpers ferry he was already past the bears den.
    Well thanks Tdoczi, that was a total waste of my time.

which direction is he heading. You know there was a terrible storm in VA and PA last week. Maybe he is slowed down by blow downs etc
    Sorry, I should have stated that before. He is going to Maine. I have been watching the storms and hope that maybe he is at a shelter someplace for an extended amount of time. He is really good about checking in so hopefully thats the case. Thank you Canoe for your kindness.

Images

Well thanks Tdoczi, that was a total waste of my time.

well, it also goes to illustrate that just because a place like the bears den or the iron masters hasnt seen him doesnt mean he hasnt "made it there."

Animal walks with a 5 galon bucket. Everyone always comments on his bucket.
    This more than anything will show up on actual hikers radar. Ask anyone in that section about that.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

well, it also goes to illustrate that just because a place like the bears den or the iron masters hasnt seen him doesnt mean he hasnt "made it there."
    So how does one go about go about finding someone if they are injured, ill or worse? How much time should pass before family gets concerned? Not knowing the trail like you all do its hard to know what facility is where even with looking at the computer and the maps available. Im learning as I go which is slow going so thank you for your input.

Images

So how does one go about go about finding someone if they are injured, ill or worse? How much time should pass before family gets concerned? Not knowing the trail like you all do its hard to know what facility is where even with looking at the computer and the maps available. Im learning as I go which is slow going so thank you for your input.
    if an unusually long amount of time has passed between when you saw him in harpers and the place on the trail where the uncollected maildrop is, and once youve contacted every common trail service provider through that area..... i dont know, call the authorities or go and start looking yourself.

where was the maildrop to if you dont mind my asking?

if an unusually long amount of time has passed between when you saw him in harpers and the place on the trail where the uncollected maildrop is, and once youve contacted every common trail service provider through that area..... i dont know, call the authorities or go and start looking yourself.

where was the maildrop to if you dont mind my asking?
    I dont mind you asking. Our mother had the duty of sending this package. My brother had pre labled it. I called her this morning to double check the address so I could call locations from Harpers ferry to there. She said it was in Va which I thought was already past where he was but im directionally impaired. He called her after me to make sure the package was sent by the 1st of july or he would have to wait on it. My thinking is giving the mail 4 days to deliver (which is padding it a bit) then he sould have already been there. They dont have the address written down that he pre wrote they just remember it was in VA. However, they were smart enought to mark it return reciept. You know the green little card he has to sign when he picks up the package to confirm he received it. That hasnt come back yet and I havent gotten the numbers to trace that yet but I intend to. Someone gave me another suggestion to contact ATC which I called this am but they are closed. So monday I will call them. Im mildly concerned right now but if another two weeks pass im going to be all kinds of worried. So, im still hopeful this is all for nothing and he is just enjoying his journey. He is my big brother and a hugh part of my world. I cant imagine anything ever happening to him. Thank you very very much for your questions and posts. Safe travels to you and yours.

Images

I dont mind you asking. Our mother had the duty of sending this package. My brother had pre labled it. I called her this morning to double check the address so I could call locations from Harpers ferry to there. She said it was in Va which I thought was already past where he was but im directionally impaired. He called her after me to make sure the package was sent by the 1st of july or he would have to wait on it. My thinking is giving the mail 4 days to deliver (which is padding it a bit) then he sould have already been there. They dont have the address written down that he pre wrote they just remember it was in VA. However, they were smart enought to mark it return reciept. You know the green little card he has to sign when he picks up the package to confirm he received it. That hasnt come back yet and I havent gotten the numbers to trace that yet but I intend to. Someone gave me another suggestion to contact ATC which I called this am but they are closed. So monday I will call them. Im mildly concerned right now but if another two weeks pass im going to be all kinds of worried. So, im still hopeful this is all for nothing and he is just enjoying his journey. He is my big brother and a hugh part of my world. I cant imagine anything ever happening to him. Thank you very very much for your questions and posts. Safe travels to you and yours.

he was already passed that maildrop when you spoke to him in harpers ferry. if he is still hiking, unless he is moving super fast he is in PA or NJ. another place to try is the doyle hotel in duncannon.

Thats right tdoczi. 2 weeks from HF heading north could be anywhere from 140 miles to 280 miles from there depending on how fast he is traveling. Look to the north Kimmer. It does sound like he past his drop before it arrived

Images

Thats right tdoczi. 2 weeks from HF heading north could be anywhere from 140 miles to 280 miles from there depending on how fast he is traveling. Look to the north Kimmer. It does sound like he past his drop before it arrived
    though upon further consideration, i wonder if he really si to HF ferry already, as it seems odd to just skip a maildrop, then speak to someone back home and not mention having skipped it. how sure are you he was in HF when you spoke to him?

seriously, the more i think about this, i have to wonder, how sure you are hes even out hiking the AT?

Images

and how does one know a package was not picked up yet if you arent sure where it was sent?

Journal Entries

Just a side note about the return reciept. If you attached a ps 3811, you should have a reciept for it either being certified or insured. That will tell you where to it was mailed. You cannot just put on threturn card. Also if it was sent insured ( i surmise ) and a 3811 attached, it would depend on the clerk at the other end wether they have it signed and returned. I have seen it all working for the P.O. for 37 yrs. if they paid for the service they should have a rcpt. and can put a trace with it. Is he keeping a journal ?
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Journal Entries

Animal 2012 Appalachian Trail David Nightingale. Is this him?
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++