WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
    Blissful, hope you dont mind me asking, what does it mean to be a ridge runner?
    A ridge runner serves as the eyes and ears of the trail club and ATC. We help hikers, monitor trail conditions, pick up trash, be an overall presence on the trail. When I first met Animal he was going to help me dismantle a big campsite with stone chairs talked about by other hikers near the Garvey shelter. Unfortunately we did not find it (I did locate it later) - but I was very thankful Animal wanted to help. I then met him a 2nd time at Raven Rock shelter where he talked about edible plants. I'm sure he will remember it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    A ridge runner serves as the eyes and ears of the trail club and ATC. We help hikers, monitor trail conditions, pick up trash, be an overall presence on the trail. When I first met Animal he was going to help me dismantle a big campsite with stone chairs talked about by other hikers near the Garvey shelter. Unfortunately we did not find it (I did locate it later) - but I was very thankful Animal wanted to help. I then met him a 2nd time at Raven Rock shelter where he talked about edible plants. I'm sure he will remember it.
    Thank you for the explination. Thats really a cool thing to get to do. Im glad you got to meet and spend some time with my brother. He has some amazing talents. He is handy as any person I have ever met. Also, if life as we know it changed so much that we had to go back to survival off the land I know without a doubt he would thrive. He would have a passion in showing others how to do so as well. He always lends a helping hand when he can. I cant say enough about how amazing he is. He is my best friend and my hero. Every girl should have a brother like him. Thank you for your kind words and for caring about his welfare. That means alot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Thanks WB & I'm glad he's doing good. (I don't know your brother but from my trail experiences) I understand your concern Kimmer but even though he could have made contact many Thru's that I have hiked with over the years choose not too, they're all hiking for a personal reason & many want to be "TRULY ALONE" & experience life on ONLY their terms, jump out of the GRIND of everyday circumstance, clear their head, sort through their past, re-evaluate & reset his forward compass. Since he's doing well, I'm sure he'll check in on his time. Congratz on finding his whereabouts!!
    Wornoutboots, I understand what you, tdoczi and others have tried to convey reguarding contact and the propensity of such. My brother owes me no explination. We have a close bond and I understand completely his reasons for this journey. I also hold a understanding for the need to be truely alone and I am comfortable with such. I think what initiated my concern causing this posting and search for his whereabouts was due to a period of time longer than usual without contact. I guess you could say I got spoiled to speaking to him more frequently. I manage his financials and any needs he should request so eventually he will make contact with me. My brother doesnt carry a cell phone. He refuses to and he dislikes bothering another to use their phone to call home. He tries only to utilize communication from the hostil's or shelters that he stays at along the trail as they are available. Likely he hasnt stopped at any of these facilities. If he has stopped and just chose not to make contact then thats his prerogative. It didnt help that my husband also voiced concern, then our mother who sometimes lacks presence of mind voiced concern which got me to thinking I might should be mildly concerned and seek assistance in attempting to confirm that he was indeed ok. I am amazed at the amount of people here at this site with an outstanding knowledge of the outdoors and the AT. My brother and I have always been outdoor kinda people often reffered to as walking to the beat of a different drummer. Its refreashing to know there are others that share that enjoyment, many others. I have gotten quite an education here. In the future I know now how to read trail journal posts and search this site and others thus maybe delaying a future concern that might have cropped up as quickly as this one has. I am in awe of the networking of the hikers. I am very thankful for all of your and others care, concern and words of wisdom.

I'm really glad to hear he's alright. I heard on the trail you hadn't heard from him in a bit and were worried. I'll pass the word on to the bubble of hikers I'm in since they were all worried when they heard.

Kimmer..he was hiking with Shannigans and Secrets for a lil while also Diesel and Big Sky back in Nc..they are also still on the trail but much further along than PA

Kimmer...the last time I was staying at the same shelter as Animal I began craving all sorts of terraki style rice and talking about it. It was in the middle of the evening and he was listening just outside in his tent. He couldnt help but stick his head in and ask who was doing all of the fantasizing about food "outloud" because he ran to get his bucket from the bear cables and began cooking. He said thanks for the hunger pains..ha ha! Everyone started laughing about the cravings I was having and his reponse to it was so funny. He is a very cool cat. I will be in touch with Diesel and others that were staying there that night in the smokies but its been many miles since then.

Images

Thanks everyone for helping my sister find me! I got the word right away that she was looking for me and I checked in. So, the locator works...but it’s hard to turn off. Two months later people were still telling me to call my sister.

Images

I met you twice last year on your thru, in Ga and in NJ. Did the bucket make it all the way to Katahdin?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    I met you twice last year on your thru, in Ga and in NJ. Did the bucket make it all the way to Katahdin?
    Yes...all the way. Thanks.

My slideshow video-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZrRf...ature=youtu.be

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good meeting you on the trail in Maryland!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default I met Animal in Southern Virginia last May

[QUOTE=-Animal;1405564]Yes...all the way. Thanks.

I had the pleasure of meeting Animal on the AT back in May, 2012 in southern Virginia. I have a great picture of him
    sitting on his bucket - with some edible plants in his hand - which he was teaching me about. He was an inspiration
    as he was doing the trail on a shoestring budget.

Glad you made it Animal!
    Did you make it to the Ming Gardens in Waynesboro?

Hope to see you on the trail in the future,

Dan Rehner
    The Strolling Astronomer (HF ---> Damascus 2012)

My brother, Animal is back on the trail this year. I was so thankful and impressed at everyones wisdom and assistance when I origionally posted here. This year I will be making a few stops to visit Animal on the trail. I plan on bringing some trail magic during my visits to give back in a sense. No worries, I know better now that certain areas of the trail, contact may be delayed. Plus, I have strict instructions from Animal. lol. I will be following the posts and hope you all have a wonderful journey on the trails. I look forward to meeting some of you soon!

Glad to hear "animal" is doing well and back on the trail. My daughter and I hiked with him for a few days through the Great Smoky Mountains back in 2012. My daughter "giggles" was 10 years old. She still reminds me how "animal" taught her to prepare and eat buttered Chickweed and other wild plants. You never know how a simple gesture of kindness can impact someones life.

animal_sm.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++