WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Had heard about animal and his bucket since springer, finally met him at greasy creek hostel. He is awesome, hope he is doing well. i look forward to seeing him when i flip flop.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    though upon further consideration, i wonder if he really si to HF ferry already, as it seems odd to just skip a maildrop, then speak to someone back home and not mention having skipped it. how sure are you he was in HF when you spoke to him?

seriously, the more i think about this, i have to wonder, how sure you are hes even out hiking the AT?
    Yes, im sure he was at Harpers Ferry. I take care of his funds as he needs it. I have confirmation of the payment to the Teehorse hostil plus he took pictures and posted them on Facebook and I spoke to the keeper there who remembers him. The keeper confirmed his departure on june 21. The only thing im not sure of is the location of the mail drop because my brother pre printed it on the box and our mother shipped it. She wasnt sure where it was being sent... she thought Va which is more than likely incorrect. Seriously, Im sure he is on the trail. lol. I flew into Charolette nc a couple months back and drove 3 hrs to meet him in Roanoke. I spent a couple days with him and met some of the other hikers there too. Maybe you didnt view the you tube video fatherman posted from the trail which had my brother in it... That should pretty much confirm it for ya...

and how does one know a package was not picked up yet if you arent sure where it was sent?
    We are positive it was sent we have the green return reciept. It just hasnt been picked up. Not sure where you got this question from...

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    Just a side note about the return reciept. If you attached a ps 3811, you should have a reciept for it either being certified or insured. That will tell you where to it was mailed. You cannot just put on threturn card. Also if it was sent insured ( i surmise ) and a 3811 attached, it would depend on the clerk at the other end wether they have it signed and returned. I have seen it all working for the P.O. for 37 yrs. if they paid for the service they should have a rcpt. and can put a trace with it. Is he keeping a journal ?
    Maybe it helps to know I am in Ft worth Tx and Mother is in San Antonio Tx. Thats about 5 hr drive. It was her turn to send a package. She had someone take it to the post office for her. She said she got the green card that he will have to sign for the package that will let her know she got it. She said she didnt write down the address that my brother had pre printed on the box and she says the address is not on the green card.

He is keeping a journal. Actually I was making the enteries for him as he would send me letters with details he wanted me to post. We quit doing that not long after he started the trail because it just didnt seem to be working effectively with my large family. He would get to a hostil and upload pictures on fb before I could get his journal updated so he said he would just update it himself when he had time.

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    Animal 2012 Appalachian Trail David Nightingale. Is this him?
    Yes!! Thats my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Spools View Post
    Had heard about animal and his bucket since springer, finally met him at greasy creek hostel. He is awesome, hope he is doing well. i look forward to seeing him when i flip flop.
    Thank you Spools! I think he is pretty awesome too!! I will post whatever I find out when I find it out so you all know as well. Thank you for all your posts. At least it keeps the post close to the top so others can view it and maybe someone will just shout out a sighting of him since June 21... I would be oh so thankful for that. Thanks again everyone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
    We are positive it was sent we have the green return reciept. It just hasnt been picked up. Not sure where you got this question from...

using the receipt you should be able to determine where it was sent to. thats the part i dont get, why have you not done so yet?

no, i didnt bother watching the video.

It sounds like he is right there where my group is hiking right now (I had to leave the trail). I will check with them and see if they have seen or met him at any point recently! They are in Boiling Springs, PA right now. Ill let you know if I find anything out!

using the receipt you should be able to determine where it was sent to. thats the part i dont get, why have you not done so yet?

given the distance from my home to the location where the green return reciept is located (some 5 hrs away) I have to wait on someone to provide that information to me. As we speak I am waiting on the call with the details. We know the package hasnt been picked up because they have not gotten the confirmation that they will get once its picked up.
    I am doing as much as I can or know how to do. If anyone has any better suggestions I would be happy to work on any other ways to locate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Akers07 View Post
    It sounds like he is right there where my group is hiking right now (I had to leave the trail). I will check with them and see if they have seen or met him at any point recently! They are in Boiling Springs, PA right now. Ill let you know if I find anything out!
    Thank you kindly! I really really appreciate you!

Images

Default Has anyone seen Animal?

From previous experience with those green forms, they don't always get mailed back. This has happened to me twice. It may also take a whole to get back to you if it was mailed. Just keep that in mind.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by Akers07 View Post
    Thank you kindly! I really really appreciate you!
    Also if he's anywhere around Boiling Springs, I suggest you also contact the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon (717) 834-6789 and ask about him, leave a message. All thruhikers stop at the Doyle! It's about 1-2 days north of Boiling Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    From previous experience with those green forms, they don't always get mailed back. This has happened to me twice. It may also take a whole to get back to you if it was mailed. Just keep that in mind.
    Well thats a bummer.

Ok I just got the confirmation number. There was NOT a address written on that paper but the confirmation says it arrived :Your item was delivered at 8:02 am on June 30, 2012 in DELAWARE WATER GAP, PA 18327. It has not been picked up yet.

So now we have parameters. We are looking from Harpers Ferry to Deleware Water Gap Pa. How long does it take on average to get there from HF? Taking into consideration the storms and all too... What hostils can I call between there?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Also if he's anywhere around Boiling Springs, I suggest you also contact the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon (717) 834-6789 and ask about him, leave a message. All thruhikers stop at the Doyle! It's about 1-2 days north of Boiling Springs.
    Just got off the phone with Vicki. Such a sweet lady. Thank you very much for the contact info!!!!! She asked all the hikers there. Some of the hiklers know of him and have seen him 3 weeks ago. So that over when I talked to him last. They took my name and number and will pass on the info to the incomming hikers, ridge runners and Ranger Eric. I have the Rangers phone number and I will follow up with him.

Do you think my brother should be this far already since Harpers Ferry? He left Harpers Ferry June 21st.

Many many thanks Cookerhiker!

Do you think my brother should be this far already since Harpers Ferry? He left Harpers Ferry June 21st.

Many many thanks Cookerhiker!
    Depends on his average hiking speed and how many zeros/neros (non-hiking days or near zero hiking day) he takes. Delaware Water Gap (DWG) is ~270 miles from Harpers Ferry (It's basically the point where one goes from Pa into NJ, i.e. the stateline). If he walked ~17 MPD from the 21st until today, that'll be ~272 miles, but that's 17 miles everyday without stopping for long at a town. So it's not surprising that he's not picked up his package yet.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Depends on his average hiking speed and how many zeros/neros (non-hiking days or near zero hiking day) he takes. Delaware Water Gap (DWG) is ~270 miles from Harpers Ferry (It's basically the point where one goes from Pa into NJ, i.e. the stateline). If he walked ~17 MPD from the 21st until today, that'll be ~272 miles, but that's 17 miles everyday without stopping for long at a town. So it's not surprising that he's not picked up his package yet.
    Thank you for the break down John, that meakes me feel better.

Images

Well thats a bummer.

Ok I just got the confirmation number. There was NOT a address written on that paper but the confirmation says it arrived :Your item was delivered at 8:02 am on June 30, 2012 in DELAWARE WATER GAP, PA 18327. It has not been picked up yet.

So now we have parameters. We are looking from Harpers Ferry to Deleware Water Gap Pa. How long does it take on average to get there from HF? Taking into consideration the storms and all too... What hostils can I call between there?

ok, this is just getting stranger and stranger. despite what another respondent said, they seem to have failed to take into account the day it says it was picked up. if you spoke to him on june 21 st in HF and on june 30th he was picking up a package in deleware water gap (at 8am!!!!), he was banging out over 30 miles a day. not impossible, but unlikely.

or does that date and time of delivery indicate when the PO received the item? is there no way of finding out for sure whether it has been picked up by him? thatd be my next guess.

if it is just sitting in DWG waiting to be picked up its not odd at all that he isnt there yet.

Journal Entries

As stated i worked for the post office 37 years and if as stated you have the green card and the package has been picked up. If you have it and it isn't signed by your brother then it was never attached to the package.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

Default Has anyone seen Animal?

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=674770

Saw this pic while reading trail journals tonight dated
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=674770

Saw this pic while reading trail journals tonight dated
    Good Catch! For some reason the link isn't working so I'll try and post one: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=674770

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++