WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Clueless Canuck's Avatar

Default What's the best way for a foreigner to pay for a thru hike?

Greetings WhiteBlaze!

I have grown tired of living in my Canadian igloo, and long for a more civilized life in a tent, so I have decided to thru hike the AT in 2013. I've researched most aspects of thru hiking, but I haven't found a lot of information for hiking the trail if you aren't from the USA. My main concern is how I will pay for things on the trail. I'm still debating between traveller's cheques, a debit card, or a credit card. If anyone has any input on what the best option is, I'd really appreciate it. I'm slightly leaning towards traveller's cheques, but I don't know how widely accepted they would be in trail towns.

Journal Entries

I am able to use my credit card in europe while travelliing, no different from If I was in the US. The credit card network is global today, at least for visa and amex. Find an ATM, withdraw euros, the card company does the conversion at current rates. I imagine you will find similar.

Id bring a card, and carry some cash. Travelers cheques are basically a historical footnote today. And you likely wont find anyplace to take them.

Nah, travellers checks are a thing of the past.
    OK, some places might still accept them but, not many.
    Many won't even know what they are.

Cash is king.
    You can get cash from an ATM although I'm sure you'll have to pay an international fee each time you use it.
    Each time there's a fee plus a small percentage. ($5 by my American bank + about $5 by the ATM bank in Thailand anyway) + a small percentage)
    So, take out a bunch each time, it adds up.

I would recommend you take out $300-500 each time and carry it in a safe place.
    (if you have to leave your pack anywhere except on your back or by your side, put the money belt on)

I've been traveling like that for years and even carry thousands sometimes and never been robbed.
    Just be careful and be streetwise.
    Don't let on (to anyone) that you have it and put $30 and some ID in a ziplock like everyone else in town and you'll be fine.

Yes, you can pay often times with a credit card, but, again, there will be an international fee.
    Unless you can come up with a bank up there in igloo-country that won't charge you one. There are some around.
    Charles Shaub (or however you spell it) is one I believe.

Good luck and have fun.
    You've made a good choice.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Thank you for the response.

I don't have a credit card at the moment, so I'd have to get one before my hike if that's what I was going to use. I haven't researched credit cards a whole lot yet, but would it be advantageous to get a pre paid card?

Images

I'm getting a card here in Australia that is like a credit card but we can "preload" it with a credit balance of one or more foreign currencies. This enables me to lock in the exchange rate on the day I load it.
    I will also carry a standard credit card and some cash.

Thank you for your response.

I'll definitely consider going this route (especially if credit card fees look too excessive).

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You should carry some cash with you. You'll find places along the trail that don't take credit or debit cards and sometimes the only ATM in town is empty.
    I found the easiest way to get cash was to charge a purchase on my credit card at a store and ask for additional cash back, maybe $50 or $100. There is no charge for this service and many stores (not all) will do this.
    Some places like the Post Office and some stores give cash back with debit cards only, not with credit cards. If I were to do it again I would carry a debit card, not a credit card.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

[QUOTE=Don H;1308352]You should carry some cash with you. You'll find places along the trail that don't take credit or debit cards and sometimes the only ATM in town is empty.
    I found the easiest way to get cash was to charge a purchase on my credit card at a store and ask for additional cash back, maybe $50 or $100. There is no charge for this service and many stores (not all) will do this.
    Some places like the Post Office and some stores give cash back with debit cards only, not with credit cards. If I were to do it again I would carry a debit card, not a credit card.[/QUOTE]

As a fellow Canadian, it's important to note that our Canadian debit cards are not usable in the US.

When I travelled extensively and regularly in the US, I opened a US bank account and got a debit card for it. If you're anywhere near the border or go stateside regularly, take a look at doing so (I did it pre 911). Having the US bank account meant that I could change canadian money into US dollars when the rate was favourable and stock-pile it in the US bank for when I needed it. I also usually stopped at the bank just before crossing back into Canada and deposited any left-over US money into it.

The bank may require you to jump through a few hoops (like getting a SSN issued) but it's worth it to be able to travel with a debit card rather than having to worry about how much cash you're carrying.

Images

I'd use a credit card or debit card to withdraw cash from ATMs and pay with credit cards at places that accept them.
    Ask your bank about using their ATM cards in the USA.
    I know TD Bank started as a Canadian bank and says:
    "Free ATM access at over 5,400 TD Bank and TD Canada Trust ATMs"
    http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...ices/index.jsp

Use gold coins...a little heavy to carry, but accepted worldwide!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Is there a UL model available?

I was on the trail this year and I'm an ex BC'er living on the East Coast now. Travelers’ cheques (checks) are a thing of the past. Use a Visa/Debit card and you will be fine. I used my CIBC debit card at motels, grocery stores, convenience stores, & Outfitters during my trip without any problems. Try going to a store in your home town with a Travelers’ cheque and they will look at you like your Blinky the Three Eyed fish.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Is there a UL model available?
    YES there are. how many would you like? i accept all cards and paypal
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

[QUOTE=The Old Boot;1308394]
    Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You should carry some cash with you. You'll find places along the trail that don't take credit or debit cards and sometimes the only ATM in town is empty.
    Some places like the Post Office and some stores give cash back with debit cards only, not with credit cards. If I were to do it again I would carry a debit card, not a credit card.[/QUOTE]

As a fellow Canadian, it's important to note that our Canadian debit cards are not usable in the US.

When I travelled extensively and regularly in the US, I opened a US bank account and got a debit card for it. If you're anywhere near the border or go stateside regularly, take a look at doing so (I did it pre 911). Having the US bank account meant that I could change canadian money into US dollars when the rate was favourable and stock-pile it in the US bank for when I needed it. I also usually stopped at the bank just before crossing back into Canada and deposited any left-over US money into it.

The bank may require you to jump through a few hoops (like getting a SSN issued) but it's worth it to be able to travel with a debit card rather than having to worry about how much cash you're carrying.
    Again, My CIBC Debit Card was used extensively on my trip WITHOUT any problems ! You should keep about $100.00 in cash to pay for shuttles and some Hostels want Cash only!
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    YES there are. how many would you like? i accept all cards and paypal
    Let me start with eleventeen and go from there. I guess like everything else UL they're extra expensive, right? Don't think of pulling anything shady. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week, so you can't fool me.

I'm not sure if all banks are the same, but when I was back in England a few years ago, Bank of America charged me 25% when they converted from dollars to pounds when using my BoA debit card. I will never use one abroad again.
    E.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Canuck View Post
    Thank you for the response.

I don't have a credit card at the moment, so I'd have to get one before my hike if that's what I was going to use. I haven't researched credit cards a whole lot yet, but would it be advantageous to get a pre paid card?
    Open a bank account and get a debit card. Look for one that doesn't charge ATM fees and use it at places that give cash back when you can.

Found this regarding Canadian banks

HSBC and PC financial both only charge $3 for all non-Canadian ABMs. PC financial however doesn't have the $4 monthly fee that HSBC does.
    Just take out the max and the $3 will be cheap enough.

An old saying "Always keep enough gold to bribe the boarder guards", in troubled times, not a bad idea, hopefuly it never comes to this.I get /buy a prepaid credit card, good anywhere in the US, with what ever denomination you want.Because it is a prepaid, you have to be careful, as it is not check with a signiture like a regular credit card. but safer I guess than handling a bunch of cash.Have a great hike, welcome to the US.cheers
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-07-2012 at 16:40.

I would love to see the face of the cashier at the supermarket if you tried that!

Images

I don't know about Canada, but hikers I've met from other countries were only able to obtain a visa for 3 months. I do believe Canadians can stay for longer, but I'd definitely look to how long you can be in the country sans employment.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++