WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Journal Entries
    Images

this is a waste of time - nothing is going to get resolved here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yah but it's Sunday and we ain't hiking and it's fun to bitch.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    This is a really good suggestion! Maybe those who live near the trail can do this. In the summer when my pack isn't so heavy, I'll include a can of graffiti clean up and a brush and do my part.

I think what is important though is to have the huevos to confront and report ​these morons.
    You really don't know the scope of it

Many of the graffiiti are carvings, if you carve it out eventually you'd whittle down all the shelters... Actually, that ain't a bad idea

Images

Punishment should be doing trail maintenance with Bob Peoples. Chopsticks might emerge from that experience a smarter man.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

nice one John. Up to now I thought people were making toothpicks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

And dogs pee on fire hydrants for the same reason. If you do catch up to him, be careful; he may start humping your leg.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

Many of the graffiiti are carvings, if you carve it out eventually you'd whittle down all the shelters... Actually, that ain't a bad idea
    You could use lighter fluid to scrub the marker off, and be sure to use your lighter so you can see. Get that flame up close. LOL I believe there would be more than one approving nod around here for this particular method.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

You are right. I don't know the scope of it and I think the shelters are probably beyond help from the photos that I have seen. But the other type of graffiti like Chopsticks is doing - that could be worked on. I guess that every bit helps. What makes me the maddest is when I hear about Scout Troops doing this. Like what is the TroopMaster thinking letting them get away with this??

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Information about how to report an A.T. incident (including vandalism) can be found on ATC's website at www.appaachiantrail.org/incident. ATC works closely with the two A.T. National Park Service rangers, who in turn work with local law enforcement agencies up and down the A.T., as well as local volunteer A.T.-maintaing clubs and ridgerunners. Graffiti and the defacing of natural and cultural resources along the A.T. is considered a serious matter.

A.T. law enforcement officers have in the past and are currently following up on vandalism/graffiti reports. They have sometimes met with success in apprehending the offender and stopping the actions. But it is very time-consuming and can take quite a while to catch up with a moving target. Timely reports are especially helpful, as are photographs.

However, the most effective deterrent to stop future acts is peer pressure from fellow hikers. "Hike your own hike" is one thing; leaving your mark in a way that detracts from hikers' ability to enjoy the natural environment (or shelters that take volunteers thousands of hours to plan, get necessary approvals for, and to build--not to mention fund) is a incredibly selfish and destructive act. Some people, who have not spent a lot of time in the woods, may not even realize this. Do your part to educate them about trail ethics and call them on what they are doing.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    I'm having trouble with the link. I realized there was an "l" missing but even after fixing that I can't access the page.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...0Form-Word.doc

This should link you to it. Thanks again for making us aware of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    I'm having trouble with the link. I realized there was an "l" missing but even after fixing that I can't access the page.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...rt-an-incident
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    you are wise

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you are wise

Of course he is, for he is an owl.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think ya'll need to go hiking...

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Sometimes, graffiti terrorists are caught and they do suffer consequences. Anyone remember the spray painting of Jefferson Rock on the AT in Harpers Ferry a few years back? If everyone took a defeatist's attitude then nothing would have happened.

Default Links for Reporting an Incident

Sorry for the typo!

The "friendly" link for the "Reporting an Incident" page is www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents. This will revert to http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...rt-an-incident.

The email is [email protected], although the plural form also works: [email protected].

The incident form called be filled in electronically, but not on line. You have to save it to your desktop, fill it in, and then send it as an attachment.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

with Laurie's words, that about does it for the thread.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++