WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Alone...

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I hate people.
    People hate you......just kiddin....we love you john!

Images

I might hike alone, but, I don't hike without my big dog.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I hike alone better than 50% of the time. I really like the freedom of not having to deal with anyone's problems and setting whatever schedule and pace I want. I do like camping with others though - - I've hiked days on end (especially in the winter) camping alone each night - - after a while it is fun to run into someone. Most of my long solo-trips start solo, but (at least on the AT), I fall in step with a few people and see them in the day and over various nights - - occasionally, I'm joined by friends too. This mix works well for me. I guess this thread is more about one's fears hiking solo - - I'm always pretty cautious and watchful of what I do on trail (and watchful of others) - problems have been truly rare.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blackett View Post
    Why do you say use water bottles rather than bladders?
    Might have to do with being more aware of how much water you have left when you take a drink

Images

I much prefer to hike solo than with a partner or a group.

People always say, “so you just go all by your self?” I think they feel bad for me, like if you don't spend your free time around other people you're weird or something. That used to bother me years ago when I first discovered hiking but now I just smile and say “yup.”

I've hiked with groups and I do enjoy the camaraderie at times but I feel it's much more of a spiritual experience when you hike solo.

As others have posted earlier on this thread, I suggest starting slow, go on a very short overnight where your car is only a mile or so away, then next time go a little farther etc... It's just like anything that you're new at. Just take baby steps and before you know it, you'll crave solitude!

Good Luck
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Penn-J View Post
    I much prefer to hike solo than with a partner or a group.

People always say, “so you just go all by your self?” I think they feel bad for me, like if you don't spend your free time around other people you're weird or something. That used to bother me years ago when I first discovered hiking but now I just smile and say “yup.”

I've hiked with groups and I do enjoy the camaraderie at times but I feel it's much more of a spiritual experience when you hike solo.

As others have posted earlier on this thread, I suggest starting slow, go on a very short overnight where your car is only a mile or so away, then next time go a little farther etc... It's just like anything that you're new at. Just take baby steps and before you know it, you'll crave solitude!

Good Luck

Yep - I 've had that "so you just go by yourself" feel sorry question asked a bunch too. I just smile. Hike your own hike.

Images

Your awareness expands much more easily without the distractions of a hiking partner. your internal dialogue shuts down much faster. it becomes easier to experience everything going on around you. that being said sometimes it's nice to share 1 of those magical moments.
    but I prefer to hike alone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Yep - I 've had that "so you just go by yourself" feel sorry question asked a bunch too. I just smile. Hike your own hike.
    BIG smile......................

Images

Coach lou pulling out to huge slabs of Mississippi Mud cake being 1 of those magical moments.

Images

Besides, when we hike it takes me all day to catch up.

I like the freedom to do whatever I want - when to stop for a break, when/where to camp, how fast to walk, etc...

Images

Thses days I hike by myself as no else wants to go hiking when or where I want to. I don't worry about getting lost, I just think of it as exploring an area I have never been to before.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I don't worry about getting lost, I just think of it as exploring an area I have never been to before.
    I don't get lost, I do route reconnaissance.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Journal Entries

I did my first hike this year, by self. Only way to go. You will meet others and don't have to worry about someone else. Only way I will hike at this point. Do you want to live forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog:1317449
    Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I hate people.
    +1 Me too! Maddog
    I like people but after 50 weeks or so I need alone time.

I usually hike alone. I can tell you on most day hikes on the AT, even on the ones when I play hooky in the middle of the week to avoid seeing people, I still pass by at least one hiker. On the AT if you are hiking alone and something bad happens, eventually a hiker, hunter, or random person will find you. Its not like out west, most times on the AT I get cellphone reception. The only time I get that weird feeling is camping. If other hikers are at a shelter, I feel a little more at ease. I just sleep better knowing there are other eyes and ears around with the same common goal. I'm more concerned that I would be camping alone, and some local drunk teens pull up on the shelter and decide to mess with the lone hiker more than anything.

I try to get other to hike with me, but none of my friends and family are interested. The problem I have is I have certain goals, like hiking a different section each time to complete the whole AT in my state, seeing a certain thing, or hiking a certain distance at a fast pace. Its hard to have another person if you if you have certain goals.

Images

I hike alone because I can never get anyone to go with me. When someone does want to go I end up being the sherpa guide for their hike, meaning I have to make sure they are having fun, not tired, have enough water, not to much weight, etc. I end up being their "leader" when i am still figuring it out on my own as well. I also notice most of my friends that do say they will go with me don't really like walking in teh woods for long periods of time. It isnt what they thought it would be and they hold me responsible for not having a summit view every half mile.

After hiking solo for much of this year, I have now realized I have overcome my general fear of being in the woods alone. I have encountered 6 bears alone on the trail, have fallen 3 times, one was off a 5 foot cliffe on blood mountain, just scraped me up some, wet slippery rock, I learned my lesson on proper footing that day.

I think the time I feel the most alone when hiking solo is when I am eating. I prefer to eat while walking but for dinner i always eat a hot meal about a mile or 2 before I end my day, that is the lonley part of my hike, always when I am eating my dinner sitting there in silence.

I have a book always with me, an AM FM radio (NPR is the bomb on hiking trips). Also I have a journal and write.

My head is always clearer after a few days of hiking alone, you will run into someone out there, I always do anyway.

I also realized I hate hiking with people because no one hikes the same pace, so you are eather slowing yoru pace or speeding it up, which is annoying, not to mention you're always looking at someone ass or they are looking at yours on the trail.

I do enjoy meeting people on the trail though, I respect their privacy and can pick up pretty quickly if this person is lonely and wants some company or they are wanting to not be bothered.

Hike your own hike. I can't imagine hiking in a big group, what a nightmare.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

And you will get cell phone reception on nearly every summit, I do anyway. You can text where you are as you get connection, always check when on a summit and have a go to person that knows where you are, i mean they know the areas you hike, if your doing a thru hike have your home base person set up a whiteblaze account so they can post if they are concerned. this website is the eyes and ears of the AT.

OP, have your mom set up a whiteblaze account and get her use to navigating around her so she can see what's up.

Also post in the journal's at the shelters, that is the origional message board of the AT.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

When you hike alone, you notice your surroundings.

When you hike with others you notice them.

Neither one is better than the other.

It's nice to have a choice.

**** If you're a newbie spend some time hiking with more experienced hikers. Learning from others' mistakes is better than possibly making one crucial one your last.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

In the end, virtually every hiker ends up hiking alone. It is difficult to impossible to find another person (let alone a group of people) who hike at the same pace as you. Either you take a short break once an hour, or you like to stop and listen to the wind in the trees, or (like me) stop to take photos of a snail, all/any of which can be incompatible with other hiker's paces.
    As others have said, make sure you pack is as light as you can justify, you consume enough calories during the day, and stay attuned to your environment, and you will do just fine. Don't walk any faster than you feel you safely can (your pace will pick up once you are conditioned) and stay hydrated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++