WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What ever became of Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce?

Where in the world is Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce? have one of his old guide books and really don't know much about him. While not new to the AT, pretty new to the Trails families and individuals that maintain, walk, write about, and have even died trying.

He has changed his focus to scholarly research of the bible, you can find him writing papers and giving talks on that.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    He has changed his focus to scholarly research of the bible, you can find him writing papers and giving talks on that.
    Ok,that somewhat clears that up, did he run a website at one point?

Journal Entries

The word several years ago was that he had to stop keeping his Guidebook up-to-date to take care of elderly parent(s). I believe he sold the rights to ____ ? 501 maybe?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

I talked to trail maintainer in June who happened to know Wingfoot. He told me "Well, last I saw him he was bundled up on a bench and....... I won't say anymore other than he was bundled up on a bench." Sounded pretty dire to me.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I talked to trail maintainer in June who happened to know Wingfoot. He told me "Well, last I saw him he was bundled up on a bench and....... I won't say anymore other than he was bundled up on a bench." Sounded pretty dire to me.
    Wow, that really is to bad, hope that's not the case, for anyone!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-08-2012 at 19:00.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    did he run a website at one point?
    He started Trailplace, and then he got to controlling and banning people, and then others started a different site and then they all got banned from that site.

Images

he seems to be ok. from the web sire posted above

Read my latest books online

Posted by Dan Bruce on June 19, 2012
    Announcements / No Comments
    The complete texts of my two latest books are now available online for your study. You can access them by clicking on the cover photo for each book shown on the home page of this website, or by clicking on the links below:
    Sacred Chronology of the Hebrew Kings
    Lifting the Veil on the Book of Daniel
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Interesting.....

Thanks everyone, I'd been wondering this for a while and finally after reading Pilots post ,it reminded me that I didn't know anything about the him, and I've never heard of him posting here, he just seemed to fall off the grid.Again thinks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whats this "bundled up on a bench" suppose to mean? that's pretty strong words on another's rep and it is some trail maintainer opinion? I'm sorry Ms. Baggins but I don't think that was very kind. Wingfoot has done a lot to promote backpacking and the AT and etc. Plus he's a friend to WB and hikers, we owe him a little better loyalty than that.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Whats this "bundled up on a bench" suppose to mean? that's pretty strong words on another's rep and it is some trail maintainer opinion? I'm sorry Ms. Baggins but I don't think that was very kind. Wingfoot has done a lot to promote backpacking and the AT and etc. Plus he's a friend to WB and hikers, we owe him a little better loyalty than that.
    Sunny Walker,I don't believe Mrs. B met anything malicious , at all, just conveying a story told to her, if in fact the situation is dire, I'd like to think those that know him would lend a hand, or maybe chime-in to dispel any rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Have to agree. I suppose I've been guilty of malicious hearsay from time to time but I can't recall the last time. If anything it speaks more of Mrs Baggins than it does Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Have to agree. I suppose I've been guilty of malicious hearsay from time to time but I can't recall the last time. If anything it speaks more of Mrs Baggins than it does Dan.
    I don't know Mrs Baggins, but I really doubt she meant this in a negative vein. I think she was simply reporting what she had heard.

Journal Entries
    Images

He started Trailplace, and then he got to controlling and banning people, and then others started a different site and then they all got banned from that site.

\\Wow there's some history there...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    On a personal note it looks like he's gone bonkers!
    They always are right before or after they find religion.

i've known him since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I don't know Mrs Baggins, but I really doubt she meant this in a negative vein. I think she was simply reporting what she had heard.
    I don't doubt you doubt, but we really don't know, do we? If would be one thing if she passed on second hand info saying he was doing great, but that's not the case. Without knowing the facts, she basically said he was a homeless bum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++