WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    What raffel, how do I get a ticket,am I automatically in cause...well just because. LOL
    Page 12? where nobody picked up on me winning an On Line Sawyer Filter Gasp! and posted a Opus and Bill pick

Opus used to call Bill the cat stuffed in the fat mans mouth-Billy boy.

Hense the lost reference- funniest video cartoon ever.

Youcantmakethisup.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks:1312178
    Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Sorry that was irony. The thread is named "can't we all just get along". Relax or put everyone on ignore. Your posting on a silly thread. Did you expect a serious response? Does the raffle for the sawyer inline filter not excite you? It comes with five, not four, not six, but five bullets as all correct inline filters must. Bullets are an extra cost apparently according to Hikerboy.
    What raffel, how do I get a ticket,am I automatically in cause...well just because. LOL
    Apparently WOO broke the filter and now the raffles cancelled. He probably flew into a tree tonight because his night vision is going.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Apparently WOO broke the filter and now the raffles cancelled. He probably flew into a tree tonight because his night vision is going.
    oh not again,...clip his wings, he's grounded.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't need night vision....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Page 12? where nobody picked up on me winning an On Line Sawyer Filter Gasp! and posted a Opus and Bill pick

Opus used to call Bill the cat stuffed in the fat mans mouth-Billy boy.

Hense the lost reference- funniest video cartoon ever.

Youcantmakethisup.jpg
    Nice, a tig'ers a wonderful thing, cause a tig'ers got a tail with a spring/filter.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have laughed my hiking socks off so much tonoight - wow,,, to all a good night!

Woo

I don't need night vision....
    Now that's what I call 'wired -in'

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Since you are new here, I want to answer your complaint in a couple of different ways.

First, Whiteblaze is a social forum with a hiking theme. By post count, or word count, most of what goes on is just fooling around. For serious information, please check out the Articles, which cover quite a few subjects of interest to hikers.

Second, there are not that many new questions under the sun. You can use the search function to see if your question has already been covered in previous threads. For instance, every year a half dozen or so people who have decided to hike the Appalachian Trail join Whiteblaze and immediately start a new thread entitled something like, "How much does it cost to hike the AT?" As you have noticed, many long-time members will, instead of making yet another serious attempt to answer the question, cut up and carry on. That may not be the kindest thing to do, but it's a fairly normal reaction on these sorts of forums. (My husband belongs to some cycling forums which exhibit the same pattern of behavior.) The moral of the story is that one might want to spend a few weeks lurking on a new forum before starting to post...

Third, Whiteblaze has a Straightforward Forum in which discussions are supposed to remain on topic. If you want to talk about shoes and only shoes, that would be the place to start the discussion.

Fourth, and hardest to explain... Most of the questions that are asked are, in fact, unanswerable. How much will it cost? How long will it take? Can I hike the Smokies in four days? What kind of tent is best? None of these questions have real answers, especially when you're "talking" on the Internet to someone you don't actually know. One just can't be too serious when dealing with such insubstantial material.

Anyway, welcome to Whiteblaze. It can be a lot of fun.
    I assure you I have been word searching the site for over a month concerning gear questions before even joining. Anything I've complained about has nothing to do with nebulousness of any questions I asked. Indeed, I can't be more specific when I ask a question...define my hike, explain my interest or what I'm planning and make it clear I'm looking for experienced answers. I have no issues with humor, or people talking about their hike on threads I initate, as long as they aren't demeaning me with dismissals. I saw this forum and decided to discuss the dismissals and pomp of hurtful posters, which I thought was on topic here, since my complaint centered around the initial poster's complaint that people should remember the expression, Hike Your Own Hike when posting. I asked that no one try to blame me for their hurtful behavior, and I said wasn't looking for advice, yet several people here decided I still needed it. I was made out to be an intellectual snub who demeans people who can't spell or write as well as I do. I was made out to be a theatrical drama queen because I used allegory in my portrayals, made to feel I came here to attack the people on this thread when I made it clear I wasn't doing so right from the start then was made to suffer the advice of a moderator after defending myself against their unsolicited abuse. As usual, the moderation is directed at the new guy and not the ones who decided I needed some kind of lesson. If you are fair as a moderator, you will turn the polite correction on to the ones who made my brief moment on this thread miserable. But I don't imagine I will enjoy seeing the justice in that, so you guys go ahead and laugh joke and play and talk behind the back of the "theatrical" one who was only in your hair for a moment. I don't need to be specific, you know who you are. This site is useless to me. I'm out of here.

I have laughed my hiking socks off so much tonoight - wow,,, to all a good night!
    Night Woo,I'm out too, so boo to all of you.you to lunch lady

threads like this are honestly why I joined WB to begin with when I was still a little green on the new gear available and had questions about what i should use for my hikes I was a lurker. I only signed up for this clownfest after all my questions had been answered and i was ready to give my own advice or just see how many people i could piss off with one post bottom line is once you have seen all the questions under the sun about long distance hiking you kinda get bored, and that's when egos get bruised.

WB; come for the knowledge, stay for the banter.

WOO: that pic is funny

He'll be back. this place is like facebook you say your done with it and will never come back, but somehow you find yourself logging on the minute you get a moment to yourself at work. lol

seriously aero there is no need to make a hasty retreat whilst snickering about the people who "bullied" you on the playground (WB) we are all adults here, everytime i post (especially when adressing a person directly) i fully expect them to take there best shot at tearing right back into me. Its all in good fun.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    I only signed up for this clownfest after all my questions had been answered and i was ready to give my own advice or just see how many people i could piss off with one post bottom line is once you have seen all the questions under the sun about long distance hiking you kinda get bored, and that's when egos get bruised.

WB; come for the knowledge, stay for the banter.
    Same here ... I read the site for hours and hours before I went on the AT, managed to glean a lot of decent advice, and once I came back I thought I'd make my own account and give out some advice of my own, based off the AT and my other outdoor experiences. It took me about two months and a hundred posts racked up before I got bored and cynical and started being mean to people. Part of it's my nature; part of it's that the forum is so bloated. Lately I've tried to rein it in a little and only be positive and straightforward. Hopefully it can last ...
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

I hike alone-do I need a working Sawyer inline filter? - or does an enema hydrate just as well? - I saw this on TV with a Bear Gryls adventure once!

Wait do I need protection?
    There's many benefits to thee SAWYER IN LINE WATER FILTER,especially when used along with 5bullets,hammock and sea salt.
    and thanks marta for verbalizing a thoughtful response.
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 07-16-2012 at 06:31.

Images

As someone who's been around a while occasionally searching through stuff but only recently actually posting, I must say I can see where BrokenAero was coming from.
    HOWEVER as Marta's entry covered beautifully, there is more than one side to WB.
    I love some of this BS.
    Some of you oldtimers almost use a code and I'm trying to sift through it but sometimes it's like swimming upstream in a sewerage pipe. It seems pretty clear to me that much of it refers to other threads and you guys use it like the old joke about the bar where everybody knows all the jokes and someone calls out a number and everyone laughs at a level that joke deserves. So. me of you come across as bad guys and some almost nice I think in the flesh I might have totally different opinions on all of you but I'm quite sure I could enjoy finding out which of you I have pegged wrong anyway.
    I have found some brilliant stuff on this site (e.g the list of small manufacturers) but when I come home from work and find during my day you lot have added about 6 pages of this kind of stuff it keeps me from reading that and trying to follow this instead.
    I'm sorry for Broken that he has failed to grasp the frivolity of it all. I think I would take a quick wit for company ahead of a superior intellect around a campfire anyday...

ATTrailDreamer - You just found that? Was that 200 posts ago? Hey you need to jump on more often - we are discussing about the calming affects of Dublin Irish Cheddar Cheese, SD Davis is passing it around the campfire and sharing his old Billy Bob Otherwise I have no idea what he is talkin about... see above. seriously......
    I realized that when I saw that my post was #227! Got to read more!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 07-17-2012 at 10:57.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    As someone who's been around a while occasionally searching through stuff but only recently actually posting, I must say I can see where BrokenAero was coming from.
    HOWEVER as Marta's entry covered beautifully, there is more than one side to WB.
    I love some of this BS.
    Some of you oldtimers almost use a code and I'm trying to sift through it but sometimes it's like swimming upstream in a sewerage pipe. It seems pretty clear to me that much of it refers to other threads and you guys use it like the old joke about the bar where everybody knows all the jokes and someone calls out a number and everyone laughs at a level that joke deserves. So. me of you come across as bad guys and some almost nice I think in the flesh I might have totally different opinions on all of you but I'm quite sure I could enjoy finding out which of you I have pegged wrong anyway.
    I have found some brilliant stuff on this site (e.g the list of small manufacturers) but when I come home from work and find during my day you lot have added about 6 pages of this kind of stuff it keeps me from reading that and trying to follow this instead.
    I'm sorry for Broken that he has failed to grasp the frivolity of it all. I think I would take a quick wit for company ahead of a superior intellect around a campfire anyday...
    Ozzy, you seem to understand our dialect perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAeroVT View Post
    You're preaching to the choir here. I don't get flustered when these jerks span like a peacock. For the most part, I either say nothing so as not to be provoked or politely redirect the conversation back to the question and give them an opportunity to be helpful. That I complain about it elsewhere and call it as it is is something entirely different. I'm surprised that I wrote I'm not asking for anyone's help, and yet here comes the avelanche of advice. Humor is fun, but to be raped by these people and told I need to dress like a Muslim woman is insulting to me.
    She has a point. But it won't stop until most of the women have been run off. One day dudes here may understand that ribbing and humor for them at another's expense reflects poorly on us all.

Images

Just wanted to warn everyone i expect my post count to acceleratebetween now and my leave date.i apologize in advance for any sarcasm without the use of proper smiles.2 more weeks and you guys are free of me for a month.lemme hear ya say halleluya lemme hear you say amen.
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 07-16-2012 at 09:36.

When I see that a fairly new member/poster has posted a question about gear etc. and it's a question that has been answered many times over and no one has responded in a reasonable time, say 20 min. or so and it is within my experience that I can provide an opinion I will indeed say something so as not to lose the interest of the new member. I don't want them thinking, dang I ask a question and nobody is saying anything. My first thought is when a question is posted I say somebody will answer which it seems like a lot of people do. You get tired of answering the same questions over and over, so I give (or hope I should say in some cases) others a chance to respond and if they haven't I will in hopes of not losing the newbie and making them feel welcomed.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Just wanted to warn everyone i expect my post count to acceleratebetween now and my leave date.i apologize in advance for any sarcasm without the use of proper smiles.2 more weeks and you guys are free of me for a month.lemme hear ya say halleluya lemme hear you say amen.
    Amen, didn't want to leave a brother hangin when he asks for a, "can I get a"

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++