WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cell Signal between Davenport and Fontana?

Does it exist? I disappear on the trail for a reason and shun technology during my hikes primarily because I work in it daily but...I have a beautiful 5 year old girl. This hike seems to be different for her knowing daddy is going to be gone so I am trying to stay connected to her with some daily pics and maybe a skype a night or two. Anyone have a cell signal report? Given what I have seen so far here on WB, my weather sites and the GSMNP website I should be GOOD on water and look for trail issues south of Mollies Ridge (going SOBO.) So... before I make promise I can't keep to my little girl... got signal? Thanks for the help.
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

I suspect many folks are going to reply that it depends on who your carrier is. I had Verizon by the time I did "the smokies" (dumped At&T because I spent the first few AT hikes with NO signal...but noticed all the local shuttle drivers yacking away on their verizon phones. I got decent signal between Newfound and Fontana but was hit or miss from Newfound to Davenport (until I got really close to I-40). Most days, I had enough signal to at least text and occasionally my emails would drop to my phone when I turned it on. I even had enough bars to use the internet and make a call from the base of the firetower at shuckstack. I never ran into anyone trying to hold an actual call or skype anywhere else, and I didn't try it myself b/c I usually only had one or two bars. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Se View Post
    I suspect many folks are going to reply that it depends on who your carrier is. I had Verizon by the time I did "the smokies" (dumped At&T because I spent the first few AT hikes with NO signal...but noticed all the local shuttle drivers yacking away on their verizon phones. I got decent signal between Newfound and Fontana but was hit or miss from Newfound to Davenport (until I got really close to I-40). Most days, I had enough signal to at least text and occasionally my emails would drop to my phone when I turned it on. I even had enough bars to use the internet and make a call from the base of the firetower at shuckstack. I never ran into anyone trying to hold an actual call or skype anywhere else, and I didn't try it myself b/c I usually only had one or two bars. Have fun.

Sorry. Should have mentioned the carrier and it is Verizon. Thanks for the reply.
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

Images

in '09 i had no signal with verizon thru the smokies, but i don't have a fancy phone.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

When we hiked north of the smokies, ATT was nil except on larger peaks, and then it was fleeting . Others hikers would have 3 or 4 bars with Verizon, no problem. Everyone told me Verizon was best up there. Everyone says same thing about Smokies. When we hike the smokies next, I will pick up a prepaid verizon pone, $15 from walmart.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know about while in the park, but this past weekend, I was able to send text messages around the Fontana dam area (but calls were dropping). Bet signal seemed to be around the Fontana dam picnic area (I have Verizion).

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I sectioned the Smokies in October 2011 with a Verizon iPhone.

• There was little-to-no signal at Fontana Dam itself.
    • I recall having a weak signal at Silers Bald Shelter that was good enough for text messaging and e-mail.
    • I didn't try my phone atop Clingman's Dome, but that would have probably worked.
    • I had a strong signal in Newfound Gap.
    • I had a strong signal just north of Cosby Knob Shelter.
    • I was able to get a fairly good signal on the ridge above Standing Bear Hostel.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 07-12-2012 at 09:42.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I had service almost the entire length of the Lakeshore Trail segment of the BMT.

Also have Verizion which due to Altell acquasition is great for first 150 miiles of AT. Did Fontana to Newfound Gap in March and the only place I had reception was on Rocky Top. Based upon my experience I would not make any promises.

I went from Fontana to Davenport gap this April, and had cell service good enough to make a voice call every day with Verizon and a basic (not smart) phone. Most of the shelters had service, and if they did not, it was usually not far to a high point that did have service. Text messages went through fine as well.

Journal Entries

may be phone dependent. Might depend on the type service the phone is set too. "auto" will frequently NOT see older towers that you can by setting a phone manually. Seems stupid, but thats my experience.

Once after a hurricane when towers were jammed and you couldnt make any callsl, I reset my phone to an older network type, and made calls EVERY time without issue while everyone else complained about their inability to get a call out. AUTO may not necessarilly talk to all towers, it selects the most new style preferentially.

This is good info to know. We will be doing this section in Oct. My wife is great about me hiking for days at a time, but it makes her feel better to get a text at night to let her know I'm ok. I also leave her a list of shelters and mtn tops, so when I shoot her a text I let her know where I am, and she marks the time and day on the list, so that if anything does happen to me they will at least have a sort of timeline to track me by.

I also have Verizon and had no signal last Thursday at the Double Springs gap Shelter. Could be because of the storm though.

Images

ATT is non existent trail north of Newfound Gap. From Fontana to NFG, I noticed some service at Russel and Spence Fields, Rocky Top, Thunderhead, Derrick Knob, and Double Spring Gap.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

Images

AT&T coverage generally sucks in the Park. Verizon and US Cellular do better.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Better learn about those special settings. Completed the other half and only had sercie at Davenport Gap Shelter. So for me using Verizon just there and Rocky Top.

++ New Posts ++