WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Images

you should always be aware of whats going on around you.in the woods, in town, on the road, etc.
    keeping yourself from getting into a potentially dangerous situation is not that difficult, mostly common sense, and an ability to rely on your instincts, which are usually right.i do agrree with shakey leggs that when you live in fear, they win. i saw it here in nY after 9-11, but it didnt take long for new yorkers to turn around and flip the bird to terrorism.new yorkers find plenty of ways to die, terrorism is just one of them. in addition, read up on bernie goetz and what happened to him after he decided to take the law into his own hands. carrying a weapon illegally can get you in a lot of trouble, where victim can become victor.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    Moral of the story no matter how it goes down from here they won. We all will now be extra cautious in town, be less trusting around people in town. To me this is just as tragic and unconscionable as the actual assault he has had to endure. Their act not only assaulted and scarred him for life it also assaulted and scarred each and everyone of us.
    No, not really. It changes nothing.

For example.. People are murdered every single day in towns and cities across the world. Has that changed the way you act in towns or modified your trust level?

Why does this make more of an impact on you than that?

<just speaking in the abstract. I'm not grilling you or giving you a hard time - sorry if I'm coming across that way>

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

... also, they might have won a battle (if they get away with it) but they will lose the war. There are very few senior citizen criminals walking around. Most of the bad guys eventually wind up in prison for something or dead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    No, not really. It changes nothing.

For example.. People are murdered every single day in towns and cities across the world. Has that changed the way you act in towns or modified your trust level?

Why does this make more of an impact on you than that?

<just speaking in the abstract. I'm not grilling you or giving you a hard time - sorry if I'm coming across that way>
    No your not coming across as as giving me a hard time. Just a discussion. I hope I don't come across that way as well. Just an open honest discussion.

I don't agree that it does not change anything. Your example proves my point. Because you are aware that people are murdered you subconsciously adapt your behavior to fit the situation. You may not feel you are doing anything different but you are. It is human nature nothing we can really do about it. It is our built in survival instinct.

There has be a rash of shootings here lately. I have found myself when out walking around town a little more cautious around random people. Did the shootings stop me from walking around town? Not NO but HECK NO!

I just find it sad that this incident will cause us to be a little less trusting and more aware of our surroundings when we are in town. Should it stop us from doing what we all love to do? Again not NO but HECK NO!!
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Seriously though. You absolutely have to have self control in certain situations or you're going to get your butt kicked.
    This wouldn't be much of a story if he got his butt kicked. It'd be a much less dramatic story if they were kicking his butt and bashed his head in on a curb. Why? Because physically fighting is a fairly natural response. Setting someone on fire is not. This was premeditated.

Journal Entries

Default Did not think it would happen there!

No your not coming across as as giving me a hard time. Just a discussion. I hope I don't come across that way as well. Just an open honest discussion.

I don't agree that it does not change anything. Your example proves my point. Because you are aware that people are murdered you subconsciously adapt your behavior to fit the situation. You may not feel you are doing anything different but you are. It is human nature nothing we can really do about it. It is our built in survival instinct.

There has be a rash of shootings here lately. I have found myself when out walking around town a little more cautious around random people. Did the shootings stop me from walking around town? Not NO but HECK NO!

I just find it sad that this incident will cause us to be a little less trusting and more aware of our surroundings when we are in town. Should it stop us from doing what we all love to do? Again not NO but HECK NO!!
    I grew up in Mechanicsburg/Carlise area and my cousins are the Levan's in Gettysburg. I spent summers in Gettysburg running the streets as a kid on battlefield's and stores in town. Never had any trouble. Hope it does not hurt people look at the town. Wish the hiker a fast recovery.

Miller

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    I grew up in Mechanicsburg/Carlise area and my cousins are the Levan's in Gettysburg. I spent summers in Gettysburg running the streets as a kid on battlefield's and stores in town. Never had any trouble. Hope it does not hurt people look at the town. Wish the hiker a fast recovery.

Miller
    I lived in York Springs for several years (and other nearby communities...I worked at Fry Communications if you are familiar with that Miller). Because I've lived so close to Gettysburg and went to that town ALL the time, I feel a sorta connection. This is one reason I'm reaching out to assist this person. Hopefully he will stop by the forum, or his family, when he's ready.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Images

The act hits closer to home when it involves member of our own community,so we do react s bit differently,but increased awareness of ones surroundings is a good thing,both in and out of the woods..and just like after 9/11 its not long before one decides not to live in fear.
    you'reboth right.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    I lived in York Springs for several years (and other nearby communities...I worked at Fry Communications if you are familiar with that Miller). Because I've lived so close to Gettysburg and went to that town ALL the time, I feel a sorta connection. This is one reason I'm reaching out to assist this person. Hopefully he will stop by the forum, or his family, when he's ready.
    Pumba
    Yea, we moved down here when I was 13. The Levan's (Levan Alley) are my dad's Sisters kids. All grown up and old ourselfs. I spent most of my summers visiting weekly there. My cousins still live there and all have business's. I go up for bike week each year and all are nice that I have run into. Even the police are nice to visitors. All the good bars are in the alley's! Hope this hiker gets help from us all!

Miller

This is one of the main reason's people can't just enjoy getting away from all the horrible things that happen in this world. It just makes me so angry that weather he was homeless or not, he is a human being. Instead of offering something good they do something horrible. Praying for this gentleman, he did not deserve this and I hope that people can find hope that there are still good people out there. Praying praying praying for all of the hikers out there! God be with each of you. :O)

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, it's pretty hard to second guess the hiker here. I carry a can of pepper spray and when I hit a town I put it where it is handy to use quickly.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Just got pointed to a Facebook page that is reported to be the hiker in question's. It has only been up for two hours and only has 1 friend so far. I have requested to be friend-ed.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004104518373
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Images

Just got pointed to a Facebook page that is reported to be the hiker in question's. It has only been up for two hours and only has 1 friend so far. I have requested to be friend-ed.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004104518373
    my friends just got the news on the Tuscaloosa Hiker that was set on fire while going to Gettysburg for resupplies while hiking the AT..he was mistaken for a HOMELESS person by a carload of teenagers an set on fire......being in a homeless shelter now while trying to get my life in order an hiking the entire AT to find myself..this really pisses me off an knowing my friends..i am sure i am not the only one.....show your support for the family an please checkout the link.....God Bless,many prayers for the family an my hiker friend "Tuscaloosa Hiker"
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Images
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    This incident happened at 1am - what was he doing on the streets at 1am? "
    He had went to a local business and was walking on Baltimore Street when a small blue car passed him. Occupants " - this is from the original article - so at 1m a local business must have been a bar, unless there is a 24 hr wallyworld or gas station, but I doubt he was re-suppling at 1am. - don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way saying he was at fault, this is a horrible incident, and if the perps are caught they should be fire bombed, but at 1am, walking the streets, you should not be alone. (perhaps this is a woman thing - out alone after dark)
    He stopped at the Grey and Blue bar off Lincoln Square and left around midnight.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Why don't we all get together and go up their find the Scum and light them on fire

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Why don't we all get together and go up their find the Scum and light them on fire
    I understand your frustration, but Daaaaaaaaaam!

Daaaaam right, eye for an eye thats the way i believe.

Eye Ear ya......

Alright maybe i went a little too far with my last comment on this subject, but since i was robbed on the AT in 06 in the northern VA section, i still hold a little bit of hostility towards people like that (okay). RED-DOG

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++