WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Electrolyte drink mix tablets.

Have any favorites? I'm going to try the Nathan brand, but there were so many to choose from. Have a favorite? I liked that the Nathan's had other vitamins and minerals. I usually only drink water, but it has been a hot summer, and I'll be out next week. Figured it might be better to get the electrolites.

High 5 from Probikekit.com (it's in England but free shipping) big tablets that do 20-24oz comes in big tubes of 20 too. cheaper and just as good as NUUN.

Was just reading a small first aid book today, and it talked about not choosing electrolytes that have to much sugar, because it can actually dehydrate you further, and if you did use Gatorade, to dilute it with half water. Further it list the replacement electrolytes as follows.

To One Liter of water

sodium chloride 3.5 grams
    potassium chloride 1.5 grams
    glucose 20 grams
    sodium bicarbonate 2.5 grams

These figures come from the World Health Organization

Images

I don't think I would ever choose gatoraid. Not much in it besides water. I was looking at all the different tablets, and Nathans has less than a gram of sugar.

Journal Entries
    Images

I used to make my own Gatorade singles for the trail with a vacuum sealer,

Walmart has G2 $5 8 packs 8 quarts campin dept

its the potassium the shuts down the thirst.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-14-2012 at 22:51.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

You dont need electrolytes in your drink, despite marketing hype to the contrary. Thseveats what it is, marketing hype.
    Yes you can get electrolytes in the body out of whack with dehydration, and it can cause issues, cramps, even heart failure.
    That happens in severe dehyradion cases.

Eat food, drink water, you will be fine.

Your body evolved to drink water, and only water. Minerals it needs can come from snacks. You eat all day long while hiking generally, its not an issue.

Unless you just like toting extra wt.

We tried the Nuun, blegh. Horrible , nasty , crap. My son wouldnt drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    I don't think I would ever choose Gatorade. Not much in it besides water. I was looking at all the different tablets, and Nathans has less than a gram of sugar.
    Yep, I'm not posting this as a favorite for me, more just something I read today and thought it was a good jumping off point. I've never really thought much about the type or quantities of electrolytes, just figured I was getting what I needed in the sports drinks, It seems it's worth taking another looksey.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nobody mentioned need, I prefer to take liquid vitamin and potassium drinks - I have found it very beneficial on hot muggy days.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Nobody mentioned need, I prefer to take liquid vitamin and potassium drinks - I have found it very beneficial on hot muggy days.
    I never heard the thing about potassium shutting down thirst, that's very interesting.

Images

Part of it is using the drink mix instead of munching on energy bars all day. I wish some of the bars were savory instead of all the sickeningly sweet chocolate cookie dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Part of it is using the drink mix instead of munching on energy bars all day. I wish some of the bars were savory instead of all the sickeningly sweet chocolate cookie dough.
    I've ate so many clif bars, that now I have vertigo. Lately I'm back into GORP, though peanut prices are through the roof.....

Electrolytes or not, make sure you get your potassium. Trust me on this. The VERY LAST THING YOU EVER WANNA DO is get admitted to the ER with severe dehydration where they have to give you a potassium IV. It feels like liquid fire going into your veins while on the inside, and the outside feels like it's being put out with a hammer. Easily one of the most painful things that you can endure, especially if it goes in 'fast'. (Yeah, they can control how much goes in at once).

Seriously, forget waterboarding or any other kind of torture. If you want to get somebody talking and begging for mercy, just pump 'em full of potassium. That **** hurts for real.

Just take vitamins, drink lots of water, and get your calories in. No need for electrolytes. Didn't y'all see Idiocracy?
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I never heard the thing about potassium shutting down thirst, that's very interesting.
    I have trouble with long distance driving staying awake - I eat bananas in the morning instead of coffee. If I am driving late at night. 2nd runner up is 5 hour energy.

( I head down to Ocean City, and Rehoboth frequently)

Woo

Images

I've suffered the beginning stages of hyponatremia (drink lots of water but not enough electrolytes to balance it) twice in my life. The most recent case was about three weeks ago and the prior case was nearly 10 years ago. After the first time, I knew what to do (eat salty foods ASAP). I must say that in both cases I felt awful. More awful than I've ever felt for any reason including the kidney stones I've had. Cramping in my muscles and my kidney area, feeling heat strokey, heart racing, thinking I was going to pass out, inability to get core temp under control, slurred speech, trouble with cognitive function, etc.

So, in my humble opinion, there is a place for Nuun (hyponatremia #1) and Emergen-C (hyponatremia #2), but lordy how your body will let you know that you need to have an additional electrolyte solution. There will be no mistaking it. In day-to-day activities, I don't think you have need of additional electrolyte solution at all. In both of these cases, I was guzzling well over 5 liters of water (I lost count after 5) in the span of three hours (due to outside heat and physical activity); not at all a normal rate.

And when you need electrolyte supplements, they all taste the same: life saving. So comparing electrolyte powders, tabs, etc, based on taste and being able to say, "Yuck," is your first clue that you don't actually need any.

Images

That's a good point about knowing when you need the electrolytes. I am also now making sure the potassium level is adequate. I haven't done a hike in the middle of summer before, so I'm being a bit paranoid, I know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Na - but it works - when dehydrated you can drink volumes of water and still have thirst, chug with potassium and it stops... and I know this will upset people - but a good beer shuts it down too, (not the light stuff)

When I was a kid all the section hikes ended at a tavern in the poconos
    !

Woo

Check out a product called GU Brew. I dissolve 2 tablets in 32oz water and drink it every day after I get in the shelter. I have not had leg cramps since I started using it. I don't know if I need it, but my legs think I do.

Nuun is good stuff - if it tastes bad you might not need it right then.

I like to have pork rinds with me because they're not only delicious, but also help keep electrolytes balanced. Additionally, lots of fish love them as bait if its that kind of trip, though often I'd rather have the pork rinds than the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You dont need electrolytes in your drink, despite marketing hype to the contrary. Thseveats what it is, marketing hype.
    Yes you can get electrolytes in the body out of whack with dehydration, and it can cause issues, cramps, even heart failure.
    That happens in severe dehyradion cases.

Eat food, drink water, you will be fine.

Your body evolved to drink water, and only water. Minerals it needs can come from snacks. You eat all day long while hiking generally, its not an issue.

Unless you just like toting extra wt.

We tried the Nuun, blegh. Horrible , nasty , crap. My son wouldnt drink it.
    But plants LOVE electrolytes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++