WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protection

Default Protection

Does anyone carry anything other than bear spray on the AT for protection from two legged critters?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Some folks do, most don't. Most don't carry bear spray either.

If you're considering a gun, which is what I assume you mean, first check reciprocity laws with your (presumably) Florida permit. I think that it allows you to carry through most of the southern states, but it becomes very difficult to legally carry through most of the mid-Atlantic states specifically from MD until VT.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Some folks do, most don't. Most don't carry bear spray either.

If you're considering a gun, which is what I assume you mean, first check reciprocity laws with your (presumably) Florida permit. I think that it allows you to carry through most of the southern states, but it becomes very difficult to legally carry through most of the mid-Atlantic states specifically from MD until VT.
    Bingo..nailed it. What Elf said, and to White Blaze.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-15-2012 at 01:24. Reason: nail/nailed

I only plan on hiking Ga and NC

I am more concerned about my fellow human the fauna

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RF_ace View Post
    I am more concerned about my fellow human the fauna
    They're only interested in you for your food. The chance of a violent encounter in the woods is very low, but the risk rises significantly around the more domesticated variety in towns.

Images

I carry hiking poles, a knife, tent stakes, and a significant amount of self defense knowledge.

Images

He's not asking about bears. Yes, some of us carry concealed firearms as protection against predatory humans. If you search Whiteblaze you will find many, many discussions about it- types of handguns, ways of carrying, etc. Most of these discussions don't end well since a lot of people have very strong feelings both pro and con about carrying firearms. Stick around, you'll see what I mean pretty quickly...
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

No because it's not needed.

Does anyone carry anything other than bear spray on the AT for protection from two legged critters?
    of course.....

Images

I just wear a bell.............humans think I'm crazy

Journal Entries
    Images

vamelungeon answer is excellent - some of the early threads were moved to the members only at one time - after the treads were cleaned up one of the best discussions was getting your Permit to carry, Concealed Weapons License,then a large separate discussion on the best choice-The cheaper made Kel-Tec PF9 (9mm) and the slightly pricy Baretta 9mm. And recommending the right holster a square web design was made by Sabar as most people do not pick up on what it is other than law enforcement. I would recommend going somewhere you can train in using it, the better gun shops will have their own firing range and training.

Make sure you do it legal - it really sucks to on the other side of the bars, and know your stand your ground law....

I do not carry or own a gun.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

RF Ace
    I've never had a need to own a gun ...so obviously I never carry one while hiking
    If you do decide to carry a gun while hiking then you better be sniper grade profient in using it
    Should you fire a couple of rounds at a potential assailant and those rounds miss their intended target and strike a fellow hiker then your actions started a cascade effect that could very well end w/ a dead hiker and you in jail for a very long time

I carry my wits and use them constantly.

Journal Entries

Default carrying a gun

I hiked from the falls to Suches Ga, and yes I carried a gun but to be honest with you the only time I would have had to use it was one morning went down to creek to fill water bottles with only my pump and bottles everything else was at camp. we had a bear come down out of the woods between us and the camp. Lucky for us he just kept going down hill and never gave us a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by Shack View Post
    I hiked from the falls to Suches Ga, and yes I carried a gun but to be honest with you the only time I would have had to use it was one morning went down to creek to fill water bottles with only my pump and bottles everything else was at camp. we had a bear come down out of the woods between us and the camp. Lucky for us he just kept going down hill and never gave us a second look.
    Two questions.

Why is that that you think you "would have hat to use it"? If you read through all these threads on the need for protections, just about every account of bear "problems/danger" involves someone seeing a bear which then walks away.

Are you saying that you left your gun unattended at camp so that all these bad guys could grab it and shoot you (and the bear)? I wonder what the stats are on the number of innocent people hurt by guns carried for self defense?

This is the question
    Remember this is the Straight Forward Forum. The background is grayish white for a reason, which is to remind everyone that this is the Straight Forward Forum.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I don't really carry anything for protection but this is who I'm considering on bringing. Maybe ole Barn will just shoot em in the foot and then I can walk away instead of run.Ramona and Joes Wedding 027.jpg
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

A knife. It's quiet, there's no serial number, no registration, no waiting period, its easy to dispose of, and the legalities are less questionable.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by rf_ace View Post
    does anyone carry anything other than bear spray on the at for protection from two legged critters?
    i cant ...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++