WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 514 1014 ... LastLast

Cool! I get it! And yea, there's a few activities like that where women just use finesse and not muscle. I do ITF Taekwondo and it's similar. It's not the size or muscle mass sometimes, it's technique. I can break boards with my bare feet being trained, but take a 250 pound guy with no idea just wanting to muscle it and most of the time they can't do it. Lots of injuries that way. Odd how it works, but physics is interesting sometimes ;-) Even more funny, I did roofing for a year. That was fun. Gradually I got over the fear of being near the edge tho and started hanging my feet over when doing edges and drip edge. Took some getting used to. Maybe someday I'll get the guts to climb anything other than a rock wall like the Army takes for show and recruiting purposes hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_Dusty View Post
    Cool! I get it! And yea, there's a few activities like that where women just use finesse and not muscle. I do ITF Taekwondo and it's similar. It's not the size or muscle mass sometimes, it's technique. I can break boards with my bare feet being trained, but take a 250 pound guy with no idea just wanting to muscle it and most of the time they can't do it. Lots of injuries that way. Odd how it works, but physics is interesting sometimes ;-) Even more funny, I did roofing for a year. That was fun. Gradually I got over the fear of being near the edge tho and started hanging my feet over when doing edges and drip edge. Took some getting used to. Maybe someday I'll get the guts to climb anything other than a rock wall like the Army takes for show and recruiting purposes hahaha
    I hated having to go up on a roof to set a pipe flange, especially if it was like a 12 on 12, I was good up to about a 7 pitch, hehehe and the only boards that get broken around here, are the one's the wife breaks across my head, fo not doing chores and spending to much time on white blaze, though not a bad trade, I got a hard head, ...I catch ya later, out for a bit.

I leave you all for a few hours and you get yourselves in trouble with the bouncer a.k.a. Alligator!

Haha Laters socks. I hear ya there. If I didn't need a harness and roof jacks, it was all good lol I let the guys handle that stuff. And LOL Too funny.

Yea but it's all good ras. Just took it more than it was. No biggie. All good now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Why yes, yes I have, but only once. Didn't do but 1 pitch, never was a good climber, in fact I just gave away my rack about a month ago to a fella that needed a bump, kept my rope, harness, few biners, and some basic stuff for self recue and repel, mostly use to climb at the Delaware Water Gap, you?

(I'm a top roper)
    havent gone in 2yrs, but im a 5.8.i miss it but im losing a bit of my nerve too. just growing older.

Images

I took climbing lessons once and the teacher said women are better climbers and kayakers, because we men try to muscle are way up walls and down rivers and women have to master the technique!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    havent gone in 2yrs, but im a 5.8.i miss it but im losing a bit of my nerve too. just growing older.
    HB, are you telling me that a climbing wall is going up in the cafe...no dart boards!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I took climbing lessons once and the teacher said women are better climbers and kayakers, because we men try to muscle are way up walls and down rivers and women have to master the technique!
    It's about balance not power. Women have a lower center of gravity.

HB, are you telling me that a climbing wall is going up in the cafe...no dart boards!

OOO I'm game for THAT idea! Feasible?? lol

Images

We have room here for both. Didn't see any walls when I opened up the place So we need at least 1 it may as well be a climbing wall What's the dart board for to see how far we can throw the 5 bullets?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    It's about balance not power. Women have a lower center of gravity.
    This is where my big butt, thighs and calves come in handy.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Which is not to say I've ever done anything more than scrambling, but I am very keen on the idea of climbing, and as I get fitter, I get closer to taking it on. Love a good challenge!

Images

PS: Not to get into a big pi$$ing match over Climate Change issues, but to me it's hard to ignore that we've burned cleared a bunch of trees, burned a bunch of them, too, plus a lot of oil, coal and natural gas in the past couple hundred years, so that the amount of carbon dioxide in the air has increased by over a third since the mid-1800s. Carbon dioxide - plus methane, which has also gone up by a good number - trap infrared radiation, a/k/a, in simplified terms, heat. It's what makes Venus hotter than Mercury, even though Venus is twice as far from the sun. To me, it's a no-brainer that it's going to make the planet hotter and shift the climate patterns.

Now, does this mean we have to endorse one route to solving the problem, or any solution at all? Not necessarily. We will all have our own view on that. But to me, the basic physical chemistry of the atmosphere dictates warmer temps as we add more heat-trapping gases to the mix.

Peace and respect to my fellow cafe patrons here. We're all just trying to get along as best we can, and we all love the woods and the mountains, in our own way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Which is not to say I've ever done anything more than scrambling, but I am very keen on the idea of climbing, and as I get fitter, I get closer to taking it on. Love a good challenge!
    Driver, you gotta get rid of that counter balance in front

Images

Driver, you gotta get rid of that counter balance in front
    50 lbs of it gone, another 50 to go, Amigo, and Lord knows I'm adding to global warming in the process.

Images

PS: Not to get into a big pi$$ing match over Climate Change issues, but to me it's hard to ignore that we've burned cleared a bunch of trees, burned a bunch of them, too, plus a lot of oil, coal and natural gas in the past couple hundred years, so that the amount of carbon dioxide in the air has increased by over a third since the mid-1800s. Carbon dioxide - plus methane, which has also gone up by a good number - trap infrared radiation, a/k/a, in simplified terms, heat. It's what makes Venus hotter than Mercury, even though Venus is twice as far from the sun. To me, it's a no-brainer that it's going to make the planet hotter and shift the climate patterns.

Now, does this mean we have to endorse one route to solving the problem, or any solution at all? Not necessarily. We will all have our own view on that. But to me, the basic physical chemistry of the atmosphere dictates warmer temps as we add more heat-trapping gases to the mix.

Peace and respect to my fellow cafe patrons here. We're all just trying to get along as best we can, and we all love the woods and the mountains, in our own way.
    Driver, we told the Gator we ain't goin' there in the Cafe.

Images

Yeah, but y'all got to chip in your two cents' worth. I figure I had at least a penny to toss in there, taking inflation into account.

Images

Yeah, but y'all got to chip in your two cents' worth. I figure I had at least a penny to toss in there, taking inflation into account.
    Hey, I sent Mike L. a message the other day, but I haven't heard back yet. 2 other classmates, but not Mike. You 2 lawyers got an awful lot of 'friends'!!!

Images

Hey, I sent Mike L. a message the other day, but I haven't heard back yet. 2 other classmates, but not Mike. You 2 lawyers got an awful lot of 'friends'!!!
    Mike L? No comprende, Senor.

Page 14 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 514 1014 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++