WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 338 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 238 288 328 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 348 388 438 838 1338 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,760 of 49000

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Now that you'all done voting can we all relax??

Query for Coach Lou.
    This one's doing the rounds down here.
    Is it all joke or is there an element of truth in it?

Yeah, there's an element of truth...but actually the "before" pic looks more like the now pic in the communities. BTW, how's that cap and trade working out for ya'll; I think we need that here so we don't kill mother earth

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Yeah, there's an element of truth...but actually the "before" pic looks more like the now pic in the communities. BTW, how's that cap and trade working out for ya'll; I think we need that here so we don't kill mother earth
    "cap and trade"??
    If that's a reference to our carbon tax, it's all smoke and mirrors at present.
    Essentially our government shooting us all in the foot so far.
    The idea of a carbon tax only works to my thinking if once you've imposed it on your own people you impose a bigger penalty on everyone else who doesn't have one as well. Otherwise you have just made yourself less competitive....

Images

I sometimes think there might be something to the "Gaia" idea that the earth is one big organism.
    Mankind is an infection poisoning the organism and all the new pestilences and havoc that nature throws our way is the organisms attempt to rid itself of the problem.
    No sillier than many other popular beliefs I suppose.

Nature always tries to restore some balance to things....

Images

That is a very interesting take on our world and how it all turns!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    That is a very interesting take on our world and how it all turns!
    Well from here I get an interesting perspective of your part of the world as it turns...
    It's not an original idea - I saw it first in an old science fiction novel I read in my youth.
    It's always stuck in the back of my mind and comes to the fore when some big things happen, e.g. the AIDS epidemic, the Boxing Day tsunami a few years ago etc.

By the way, noticing another thread - we get fined if we don't vote. It's compulsory here.
    In all probability there will be an election here while I'm hiking the AT next year and when I get back I'll get a letter asking me to give good reason why I didn't vote.
    I never have a problem voting. There's always someone I want to vote against.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    OK Coach!
    I know it's a poor taste joke anyway but jokes of all taste are part of Australia's culture.
    It's a bit like that site somewhere that makes jokes about dead celebrities within minutes of them dying. There's always someone starts a joke within minutes of any disaster.
    We have a lot of jokes about great white sharks too and we've had something like 5 attacks in 12 months here in West Aussie.
    (insert video here of Captain Ron (Kurt Russel) telling his new boss (Martin Short) that he ran the Saratoga aground on that big reef off of Australia. "Ahhhh, the good old Sara.")
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

You get fined for not voting?!?! Seriously?

Sir, I am sorry I was not able to vote as I was in the bathroom..with a few rolls of toilet paper...I wonder what kind of looks you would get.

Can you imagine if some lawmakers latch onto this idea here?
    New tax revenue = PROFIT!

Yes...tax the rich. Tax businesses. Tax vehicles and gas. Tax the voters...wait that is all of us.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Yes...tax the rich. Tax businesses. Tax vehicles and gas. Tax the voters...wait that is all of us.
    Tax the rich,
    Feed the poor,
    'Til there are no
    Rich no more ...

Alvin Lee-Ten Years After

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

We may want to stop the tax/politics talk while we're still sitting at the bar. The bouncer and the polar bear are starting to give us dirty looks...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    We may want to stop the tax/politics talk while we're still sitting at the bar. The bouncer and the polar bear are starting to give us dirty looks...
    I'm sure there is a scaley creature slithering around somewhere, lookin' for a little snack.

The "hooking up" threads are always interesting.... just sayin.

The upcoming storm has me concerned. I hope everyone displaced by the last storm has a place to stay warm and dry....

Images

Did someone ask for a scaley creature?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    The "hooking up" threads are always interesting.... just sayin.

The upcoming storm has me concerned. I hope everyone displaced by the last storm has a place to stay warm and dry....
    we're going to get flooded again tonight, after tomrorrw i should be able to get back into my house. yesterday i had off, went home, found a laundromat to do laundry, then went back to island park to help out. we had trucks coming in from all over long island with goods and food, utility trucks from alabama, tennessee, NC, PA,OH it was unbelievable. truckloads of diapers formula toiletries, bedding blankets food, more food, water, more water. even our local starbucks serving hot coffee, they had hot food, fema red cross salvation army all down there. i unloaded trucks for almost 4 hours,and everyone was having a good time, wonderful to see the gratitude of those who were left with nothing. the trauma is behind us, everyones pitching together to get our city back to some semblance of normal as quickly as possible. the response has been great the attitude is upbeat.
    still have no power or heat, but hopefully that will be over soon.ill be here at the hotel chevrolet tonight.
    it was one of my best days off that i didnt spend on some trail.

Images

I'm missing my picture of a musical scale. It's prolly better I don't post a pic after what happened last time.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    we're going to get flooded again tonight, after tomrorrw i should be able to get back into my house. yesterday i had off, went home, found a laundromat to do laundry, then went back to island park to help out. we had trucks coming in from all over long island with goods and food, utility trucks from alabama, tennessee, NC, PA,OH it was unbelievable. truckloads of diapers formula toiletries, bedding blankets food, more food, water, more water. even our local starbucks serving hot coffee, they had hot food, fema red cross salvation army all down there. i unloaded trucks for almost 4 hours,and everyone was having a good time, wonderful to see the gratitude of those who were left with nothing. the trauma is behind us, everyones pitching together to get our city back to some semblance of normal as quickly as possible. the response has been great the attitude is upbeat.
    still have no power or heat, but hopefully that will be over soon.ill be here at the hotel chevrolet tonight.
    it was one of my best days off that i didnt spend on some trail.
    Wow!! That is an excellent report!! I've been hearing about truckloads of the very things you mentioned being collected here in Roanoke VA. I want to donate some things as well. Great to get a first hand report of those things being delivered and our own hikerboy57 helping with the distribution. Good days ahead for everyone! Hope the power will be restored to you very soon.

Hikerboy..I am so greatful to see you are reflecting on the experiences you have had on the trail to get you thru this )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Wow!! That is an excellent report!! I've been hearing about truckloads of the very things you mentioned being collected here in Roanoke VA. I want to donate some things as well. Great to get a first hand report of those things being delivered and our own hikerboy57 helping with the distribution. Good days ahead for everyone! Hope the power will be restored to you very soon.
    i was alos able to organize food and clothing drives from each of our dealerships, our dealership family also had a few families who lost everything, theyre getting additional support from the owners to replace vehicles, offers of places to stay, mu boss even offered to put me up in a hotel, until we get power restored, but i told him im okay, just inconvenienced. the East Hills family looks out for each other.

++ New Posts ++