WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default April weather-Springer to Unicoi Gap

My husband and I are taking our first section hike from Amicalola SP to Unicoi Gap the end of April 2013. Any help with what the weather would be like and how to dress and what garments to pack would be extremely helpful.

Dress for Cold,Wet weather pack, Rain-Gear, Fleece, Gloves, Beenie ( Hat), thermals, pack cover, comfortable boots or ridge-runner's, Long Sleeve Shirts. RED-DOG

It will probably be shorts and t-shirt weather.

However, since it is spring you also need to be prepared for cold weather. 20 degree bag, fleece, rain gear, etc.

I left on my thru the last weekend in April and had 3 days of glorious weather, then 3 nights where i just about froze, and then it rained. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks! We haven't got the sleeping bags yet so your reply was very helpful. Just as in so many other situations in life, hope for the best but pan for the worst!

My wife and I did a bit of that section on 4/20-21 this year. We live 25 mi south of there too. I wore my zip off pants and an underarmor t. My wife- the same. We had a fleeces packed, but only used them as a pillows. April is funny here. Stay in tune with the weather patterns as the time gets closer. It is a beautiful time to go.
    GA 80-Miler

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks mgeiger! We had discussed getting the zip-off pants so now that's a plan. What brand do you like? We're interested in the Kuhls.

I did this section this past Feb, and the weather was real goofy. I was in an ice storm one day, and was hiking without a shirt the next. That time of year, it should be nice, but as soon as you leave your cold weather stuff at home, the weatherman will be pull a fast one on you. Better to go a little prepared.

Here is the weather for April 2012 at Grassy Gap. April this year was very warm vs the norm so plan on it being somewhat cooler next year.

April 2012 Grassy Gap AT

Bring sunscreen. No leaves on trees = sunburn.

The leaves were 80% out on 4/20.
    GA 80-Miler

I did that section this year in late March - had all my winter gear but sweated my can off. Biting flys were out in force and the ticks were just starting to appear. Like most of the posts above, April is a tricky up there in the mountains - better to bring the fleece than to be caught un-prepared. And bring one of the head nets - I think I could have sold mine a dozen times...

Enjoy!
    WhoAh

Any advice you get at this time will be useless, there's no telling what you'll have when you start. This past year was hot as...well... you know. I sent my down jacket, hat and gloves home by a friend at Fontana. Next year you may have snow. Check the weather forcast for that area a few days before leaving. I would still be prepared for cold nights.

++ New Posts ++