WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Walmart Ultralight buys

Im in the market for a new tent and pack considering im done with day hikes and i want to do some trekking. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the walmart coleman internal frame pack for 80 bucks,id like to get the REI flash 62 pack but dont have the funds right now,but id be willing to save for the better gear if it would make that big of a difference and has anyone used the junior dome tent for 20 bucks? i have a tent but the flys missing so it has a open top, i hate wrapping a tarp around it cause it doesn't breath at all and gets steamy, anyone know where to get a replacement?

I have that pack. The Elate 65, correct? I like mine. Just took it with a decent weight load on a multiday AT hike and had no problems. Only thing I could afford a couple years ago. It's a little heavier than I want, but I fit all of what I needed and then some. I'll admit I overloaded on food like a lot of people tend to do sometimes, but not knowing how simple it was to get food on my section, I played it safe (Lesson learned tho, I'll pack less next time). I also had about 3 liters of water at times because things are so dry that with my medical issues, I didn't want to flirt with dehydration (I drink a lot of water on a hike, more than most). The waist belt pocket is almost useless on the pack since it's so small, but all in all I like my pack. I'm 5' 2" with an 18" torso, and really maxed out the adustable shoulder straps as far as they'd go for my size, but it's workable to make it comfy for me. No rips with all the miles it has on it in about 2 years tho I did have to resew on the lid on mine as it came undone, but quick fix and no issues since.
    I also have the $70 Max 2 person "backpacker" tent and the Max 30ish degree sleeping bag (the walmart silver and black one for like $70). Tent is just under 5 pounds and sleeping bag is around 3 if I remember correctly when I weighed it. I ditched the original stuff sacks on both those items tho. I really like all 3 of those items. Put them through the wringer lately and they've stood up well. Sleeping bag is roomy and very comfortable. Thought I'd throw that out there in case you were looking at other items at reasonable costs.
    Someday I'll upgrade to lighter gear when I can afford it, but being jobless at the moment, that's not going to happen. All in all tho, a big 4 of about 14 pounds with my z-lite isn't horrible for the cost.
    I'll leave it up to the more experienced gear heads that know better deals out there to chime in if there's a better and lighter option for that little cost.

I'd stay away from the cheapo dome tents. We got one a few years ago. It was horrible. The mesh let bugs galore in. Go for the max tent. Similar weight, better tent. Costs a little more but wellllllll worth it.

I'd save some money and buy some good gear, but if you really got to get out there, and don't mind some gear that'll have to be replaced in the long run, then why not, go for it. Check out what type of return policy they have on used gear, if it's a good policy, then you have nothing to loose but the gas money to get to the store. by the way, my niece has the "Hello Kitty" tent, and she like it, Hee Haw....sorry couldn't resist, but really if you can, buy some good gear, you wont regret it. Happy Hiking and to white blaze

I'm not opposed to buying cheap gear if it will do the job. I carried a $10 Walmart sleeping bag for 850 miles. But having said that, I've found that in the price range you're looking at you can scrounge the internet and find closeouts and sales on packs and equipment in that price range if you're patient. You should be able to find a decent pack for $80 on sale. As far as the tent goes, I'd buy a $10 blue plastic tarp...it will last one season. Those cheap tents won't last more than that anyway.

Images

Default re: Walmart Ultralight buys

The Coleman pack is fairly heavy for ultralight. A better choice would be the Outdoor Products Arrowhead 8.0 which weighs just over 2 lbs before stripping. You can then reduce the packs weight further by removing the aluminum stays, cutting off the handle on the back, removing the waist belt which doesn't fit many people due to torso length, and shorten most straps. I've used one for several weeks on section hikes and have seen a few others on the trail.

Rather than the tent, Walmart near me carries a 5X7 Outdoor products tarp which weighs about 7 ounces and takes up less space than most rain jackets. Speaking of which, grab 1-2 $1 disposable rain ponchos which are also ultralight and suitable for the A.T. and could double as ground cloths.

Other ultralight Walmart buys would be their blue foam pad and their $3 Coleman head net, and 50' nylon cord for rigging the tarp and bear bagging.

Then I'd grab a bottle of yellow HEET enroute to the food side to get a can of cat food to make an alcohol stove from and two 1 liter bottles of water. Some Walmarts are carrying a good, but inexpensive aluminum cup (not mine in Little Rock) suitable for the stove. Grab a $2 hand hole puncher from school supplies on your way back to the checkout lane.

I'd use the money you saved to buy a good, ultralight down sleeping bag elsewhere.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by BigHodag View Post
    The Coleman pack is fairly heavy for ultralight. A better choice would be the Outdoor Products Arrowhead 8.0 which weighs just over 2 lbs before stripping. You can then reduce the packs weight further by removing the aluminum stays, cutting off the handle on the back, removing the waist belt which doesn't fit many people due to torso length, and shorten most straps. I've used one for several weeks on section hikes and have seen a few others on the trail.

Rather than the tent, Walmart near me carries a 5X7 Outdoor products tarp which weighs about 7 ounces and takes up less space than most rain jackets. Speaking of which, grab 1-2 $1 disposable rain ponchos which are also ultralight and suitable for the A.T. and could double as ground cloths.

Other ultralight Walmart buys would be their blue foam pad and their $3 Coleman head net, and 50' nylon cord for rigging the tarp and bear bagging.

Then I'd grab a bottle of yellow HEET enroute to the food side to get a can of cat food to make an alcohol stove from and two 1 liter bottles of water. Some Walmarts are carrying a good, but inexpensive aluminum cup (not mine in Little Rock) suitable for the stove. Grab a $2 hand hole puncher from school supplies on your way back to the checkout lane.

I'd use the money you saved to buy a good, ultralight down sleeping bag elsewhere.
    +1 BigHoDag, just nail it, knocked it out of the park, yep...that's what I'd do, it'll get ya out there, cheap.

I hope the OP arrowhead is better designed than its predecessor. I had that one and it fell apart on its first real trip and I'm anal about caring for my gear. The whole upper part separated from the pack and I had to fishing line it together as a quick repair. Frayed right out on a 30 pound load. I tend to shy away from most OP gear now after that one, tho I do like the smaller Vortex backpack.
    I agree tho, the little 5x7 tarp is a steal. I have 2 of those. My $20 dome is on its 3rd year so far, but again I hate the netting so it's been reduced to a backyard camping tent instead of a trail tent.

Images

I personally wouldn't bother with the Walmart tarp. It's too small for the vast majority of hikers to stay dry under, and it uses grommets that are easier to tear out. A few extra buck will get you a Golite poncho tarp that will serve both as shelter and rain gear, and is a couple feet longer. I'd even carry a mil surplus poncho tarp before going with a 5x7 tarp with grommets and a separate poncho.

If you do go with that small 5x7 tarp, then the Dri Ducks poncho is an even better idea since you can wrap it around you as a bivy to better protect you against the rain.

As someone else said, you can spend about the same amount of money and get much better quality and less weight if you wait around for good deals on new and used gear.

I don't have anything against WalMart, but the good, durable gear tends to be very heavy, and a lot of the stuff they have is junk. So, you can get some great deals, but you can get badly burned. The Dirtbagging article on this site has a lot of great advice, and the For Sale section on this site is GREAT. There are some great deals here on excellent gear, and everyone I've dealt with has been friendly and honest. EBay _can_ be a decent source for gear, but you have to filter out an awful lot of junk. I've had decent luck on Craigslist as well.
    Personally, I would not drop $80 on the Coleman pack. I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail Latitude (possibly my favorite pack) with The Lid that I bought here for less than half the price of that Coleman, and when I needed an expedition-sized pack, I was able to get a Granite Gear Stratus 5500 FZ (essentially the big brother of my favorite pack) for $110 on EBay.
    If you don't need the gear _today_, you can get better gear at lower prices on this site and on others.

Why not just buy used gear?

Images

The walmart tents are what we find left along the trail when it rains and they don't work. They are usually filled with water and have broken zippers. Not fun to pack out someone else's junk!

Images

$80 is too much for a Walmart pack. If you can't find a deal on a used pack, Golite has packs on sale now that are much better:
    If you can keep your load weight down, Golite Jam, $70 to $90:
    http://www.golite.com/packs-and-lugg...ntry-ultralite
    If you're going to carry a heavier load, Golite Quest, $90 to $110: http://www.golite.com/packs-and-luggage/backcountry

Tent: your best option is a tarp. I agree that 5'x7' is too small for a beginner. Using an 8'x10' or 9'x9' blue poly tarp from a hardware store is a good cheap way to practice. Some people use plastic painter's drop cloth and duct tape to make a tarp, just don't get the very thinnest plastic.
    With precautions you might try that $20 tent: Don't be too tall for it. Toss the fly and use a plastic drop cloth or tarp instead; don't wrap it around the tent, peg it stretched out so it's well away from the tent walls and make it big enough so it's sticking out well beyond the tent (think a good sized tarp with the tent under it). Be prepared to repair the zipper on the trail.

If you can sew, think about making a sleeping quilt instead of using a sleeping bag. Cheap sleeping bags are heavy and bulky and not very warm. Bulky means you'll need a bigger heavier pack.

I too think you should go for something better. Used is a good idea. Golite has great deals on packs right now. Brand new frameless packs from 69$ (Jam series) and new framed packs from 89$ (quest series) but it looks like they are going quick. Right in your ballpark and exponentially better. As for a Tent you can set up a cheap poly tarp over your dome inner without sacrificing breathability just google tarp set ups and practice in your yard. For lighter weight and more durability but more money get a sil nylon tarp pretty cheap from campmor or similar. Swap a ground sheet and one person bug net for your old inner when you get more comfortable and you'll have a cheap ul shelter.

The juniour scout dome tent is a great light waight tent,but i recamend a dif rain fly,the one that comes with it doesent really work,look online for a dif rainfly,but the poles and tent are super light and durible

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTornado View Post
    The juniour scout dome tent is a great light waight tent,but i recamend a dif rain fly,the one that comes with it doesent really work,look online for a dif rainfly,but the poles and tent are super light and durible
    I used one of those Walmart $20 tents for a while too. It's not durable but it did work for a while. I seam sealed it and sprayed it with silicone sealer and it did survive some rain storms. I still have it, as a matter of fact but I don't really use it anymore.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Thanks for the replies, I might pick the junior dome tent up and seal it good, it should do for now. I have a 2 person but i lost the rain fly. I could carry a tarp and extra pole to help vent and have some extra space at camp time but its heavy as it is. Im not big on tarp camping i like to be in a tent, i feel safer from wildlife and mother nature. I really like the Golite tents you guys suggested i might pick up the 65L trek pack for 100$, ill get me a back cover to be safe. I like the idea for the gas stove buts that a little to ultra lite for me lol i might spring for a free standing burner, would hate to spill dinner at night, i can be clumsy when tired and hungry.

Can you guys take a look at my trek im planning? give some hints to a newb
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...56#post1313556

thanks for the quick response, whileblaze rules!

Journal Entries

I would buy better quality used gear off of craigslist, before I would buy low quality new gear. You might have to shop around and wait to find what you want, but:

1) you wont pay tax
    2) you may be able to sell it later for about what you paid for it, possibly more

Buying cheap new gear, is a lot like tearing $20 bills up.

Default Walmart Buys

Walmart has:
    1) a closed foam pad for $6.97
    2) Tarp for around $10. It is 7x9 instead of 8x10. I had a bunch of Boy Scouts buy it. It is a decent way to go.
    3) Acrylic watch hats for $2 on clearance
    4) Long underwear tops and bottoms each $10
    5) Shrink wrap window use as ground cloth
    6) Everready head lamp for around $5

There are a lot of things that will work from Walmart. I definitely use their closed foam bad. It is stiffer and works better in my pack.

Lester

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    The walmart tents are what we find left along the trail when it rains and they don't work. They are usually filled with water and have broken zippers. Not fun to pack out someone else's junk!

You're such a good person!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++