What was the earliest Trail Days you attended, and what was it like? How many people were in the parade, who were the featured presenters, and what were the most memorable elements?

That first Trail Days in Damascus in 1987 started out as an event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the completion of the A.T. It has been my inspiration as I've been planning the first ever trail festival in Harpers Ferry on behalf of ATC to celebrate the 75th anniversary.

I thru-hiked* in '87, but started April 28, and didn't have the time , money or inclination to interrupt my hike. Little did I know how significant that relatively small event was to become to the A.T.

Although the program for our 75th anniversary Harpers Ferry event August 11-12 is pretty well set with a hiker parade, programs by trail icons and history experts, speeches by trail leaders, guided hikes, etc., I'm still interested in feedback, ideas, and more inspiration.

Please check out the thread at www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86412-A-T-75th-Anniversary-Celebration-in-Harpers-Ferry-August-11-12 and tell me what you think.

Oh yeah, we could use a lot more volunteers, too.

Laurie P.
ATC