WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources between Unicoi and Dick's Creek Gap

Yes, another "how's the water" question. Thinking about hiking from Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek Gap next weekend. Anybody hike this section recently with some reliable information on how the water sources are flowing on this stretch? General trail condition information? Thanks.

Section Hiking: 4.5% complete TheBirdman's Avatar

We hiked that section in mid-May, so my water info is probably not valid. We had no issues at all. Everywhere the guidebook said water would be and everywhere the signs said water would be, there was flowing water. And Alabama (where I am) has gotten several inches of rain the past 10 days or so; if GA had similar conditions I wouldn't expect any dry springs.
    Trail condition was excellent. Konnarock Trail Crew was working on the section around Indian Grave Gap I think it was, putting in large rocks to fix some washout.
    Have a good trip!

Images

I did a small part of the AT in GA a couple of weeks ago and I talked to a guy who hiked from Springer to Dick Creek Gap and he said north of Neels Gap water was in short supply. Might want to stash some off the trail to be on the safe side.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I haven't hiked it lately but with all the days of rain we've had in the area lately, I wouldn't worry too much about water sources.

Thanks for the info.

I hiked that whole area Memorial Day weekend and had no issues with water. Camped at the creek half way up Rocky Mountain and it was flowing nicely, as was the spring at Tray Mountain and other water spots described in the AT Guide. Make sure you have your filter.

Thanks again for the information. As usual, plans have changed and I will not be hiking this section this weekend, but I will be able to get a day hike in further up the trail. Hope the info may help others.

++ New Posts ++