WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Slackpacking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if you're doin' a long distance backpackin' trip and you slackpack, you're pretty much a weenie. in the altitude?

Slackpacker = Smart

Person carrying a load unnecessarily = Not so smart

... "Honey, I'm walking to the store, where did you put the concrete blocks?"

LW, the above post from 10-k in response to your slack pack = weenie comment says it all in my humble opinion. Because if the situation is right I'll be one smart hot dog! And I'll still buy you that beer the next time I'm in Damascus. Even though we may disagree on this point, I have gotten enough good tips from you and other WB members that I at least owe you a cold beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    All the trees, rocks and roots look the same, don't matter if you're going north or south.
    They look pretty much the same on many trails.............
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I have nothing against people who slackpack, but I personally have no interest in spending money on it. I mean, is carrying a 25-30 lb. pack THAT bad? Not to me. I'd rather just keep walking in one direction and not complicate things with being dropped off, picked up, and dropped off again.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Slackpacker = Smart

LW, the above post from 10-k in response to your slack pack = weenie comment says it all in my humble opinion. Because if the situation is right I'll be one smart hot dog! And I'll still buy you that beer the next time I'm in Damascus. Even though we may disagree on this point, I have gotten enough good tips from you and other WB members that I at least owe you a cold beer!
    Funny... I wish we could all get along this way!!

Slackpacker = Smart

Depends on how you look at it. Besides the freedom of backpacking there's also the body-strengthening aspect. Carrying a load makes the body stronger, so to say "carrying a load unnecessarily" is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    I have nothing against people who slackpack, but I personally have no interest in spending money on it. I mean, is carrying a 25-30 lb. pack THAT bad? Not to me. I'd rather just keep walking in one direction and not complicate things with being dropped off, picked up, and dropped off again.
    I also have no interest in spending money on walking, I can do that for free and strengthen my body at the same time. Luckily for people that do spend money on walking that we're not on this list http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...-make-ten.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. Besides the freedom of backpacking there's also the body-strengthening aspect. Carrying a load makes the body stronger, so to say "carrying a load unnecessarily" is just wrong.
    John,
    you are absolutely correct in your comment. Carrying a pack does afford the individual many things such as freedom and body strengthening. I was just agreeing with the original post by 10-k and saying that given the right circumstances I do not have an issue with slack packing. HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if you're doin' a long distance backpackin' trip and you slackpack, you're pretty much a weenie. in the altitude?
    If Bob Barker could carry a pack then everybody oughta be able to.

Link goes to short description of Mr Barker for the benefit of the weenie slackers:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7-I...0trail&f=false

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

How much does the average slackpack cost, anyway? I know there are varying circumstances, but what does it usually cost?

I think my threshold would be $1. I'd rather buy a bag of Double-Bubble than pay to walk with 15 lbs. less than usual.

Slackpacker = Smart

John,
    ... HYOH.
    No, you HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    How much does the average slackpack cost, anyway? I know there are varying circumstances, but what does it usually cost?

I think my threshold would be $1. I'd rather buy a bag of Double-Bubble than pay to walk with 15 lbs. less than usual.
    i slack folks a lot. usually white top mtn. back to damascus. it's a 21 mile walk. $35 to get them there then $35 the next day.

Images

There is another reason to slack pack, and that is if you have a spouse that is not into hiking or sleeping in a tent but likes to see you now and then.

You can spend evenings together, eat at nice restaurants and stay at nice inns and b&bs, and still go hiking!

The great thing about the hiking community is that there is room for everyone and what works for one is not always what works for others.

Slack packing weenie sends

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've talked to a couple of people who are almost downright hostile when it comes to slackpacking and I don't get it.

Man I love catching a ride 20-25 miles up the trail and hiking back to the hostel or wherever with a daypack full of snacks. I can move quick, my back doesn't hurt and not carrying a pack I'm about 1000 more times to take a blue blaze and check out a view or sight.

Also that's a section you don't have to hike wearing a pack and you can start hiking further up the trail too - that's like an added bonus.

Why do some hikers look down on slackpacking? Are they just stupid or are they jealous?

well I hate to be so judgmental, but yess, they are a stupid and jealous.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    No, you HYOH

john,
    i assure you I will do just that. Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    jealous of what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    I think if you're going to call someone "stupid" you really ought to check your spelling and grammar before posting.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think if you're going to call someone "stupid" you really ought to check your spelling and grammar before posting.
    Nah, stupid woudl be to make gramatical mistake and mispelling somewhere of consequence. Here on WB its just being lazy-- or conteptuouse of the wider communities intellect.

Journal Entries
    Images

Why do some hikers look down on slackpacking? Are they just stupid or are they jealous?
    Why do some fishermen look down at catching a trout on a worm?

Why do some chefs look down at frosting from a can?

Images

I never new hiking had so many rules until I found Whiteblaze. Is there a rule book, or do I just wade thru ALL the forums. I have 3 rule books in Ice Hockey....but, I get paid to know them, but most times I just make it up as I skate along

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I never new hiking had so many rules until I found Whiteblaze. Is there a rule book, or do I just wade thru ALL the forums. I have 3 rule books in Ice Hockey....but, I get paid to know them, but most times I just make it up as I skate along
    HA!! You must know the rules on WB. Everyone must think alike. If you don't know/ follow the rules you are skating on thin ice. Ice Hockey rocks!!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++