WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Give me some advice on my gear list?

-65l pack golite quest
    -golite shangra-la 1 person tent
    -sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow
    -tarp
    -stove/extra fuel
    -cook set
    -500ml bear canister
    -food/spice kit
    -water purifier
    -2x1L water bottles
    -longjohns
    -rain jacket
    -frogtoggs rain pants
    -swimming shorts/conv. pants
    -2 pairs nylon socks/1 pair thick high socks
    -light weather gloves
    -repair/first aid/hygiene lit
    -mulitool
    -folding handsaw
    -extra phone battery/batteries
    -hiking poles
    -matches/light
    -dry box
    -map/compass
    -headlamp
    -beanie/sun hat
    -sunglasses
    -sunscreen/bug spray
    -binoculars
    -rope
    -pack cover

going from damascus to springer mtn during late winter/early spring of next year or this fall depends on if i reach my vacation time at this job or get laid of this winter..i kinda hope to get laid off haha happy trails!

Quote Originally Posted by safariman View Post
    sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow
    What are you considering for these?

-500ml bear canister
    I haven't seen a 500ml bear canister before, I'd love to see a link for what you're talking about.

swimming shorts/conv. pants
    You didn't list a shirt or shoes so I'm assuming this is a backup pair of convertable pants? In which case I'd leave them home and use the driducks as your backup.

-mulitool
    -folding handsaw
    You don't need either of these.

-dry box
    I'm assuming this is something really light and small, maybe just for your cell phone. You may want to add a dry bag, pack liner or trash bag because pack covers generally don't work well enough to keep your sleeping bag dry.

-map/compass
    You don't need either of these but you especially don't need the compass.

-binoculars
    Don't need them.

-rope
    I'm assuming this is thin cord for a bear line?

I started March 10th and was lightly snowed on several times, with that in mind I don't see anything to keep your ears warm.

i meant the BV500, shirt ill just bring a t-shirt and a longsleeve button up. and for shoes just gortex hiking boots. drybox is just one of the small ones from walmart for batteries/phone and other things that cant get wet. and theres a beanie listed at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by safariman:1314467
    -65l pack golite quest
    -sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow
    -tarp
    -stove/extra fuel
    -cook set
    -500ml bear canister
    -food/spice kit
    -water purifier
    -2x1L water bottles
    -longjohns
    -rain jacket
    -frogtoggs rain pants
    -swimming shorts/conv. pants
    -light weather gloves
    -mulitool
    -folding handsaw
    -hiking poles
    -matches/light
    -dry box
    -map/compass
    -headlamp
    -beanie/sun hat
    -sunglasses
    -sunscreen/bug spray
    -binoculars
    -rope
    -pack cover

going from damascus to springer mtn during late winter/early spring of next year or this fall depends on if i reach my vacation time at this job or get laid of this winter..i kinda hope to get laid off haha happy trails!
    I'm not a real hiker yet! Just do 6 to 7 day stretches.

Things I would leave home
    Bear Vault
    Saw
    Binoculars
    Water Purifier
    Sunglasses

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That there is a mighty big pack sir.

Bear vault, binoculars, tarp, and bug spray are certainly not needed. Lots of other stuff is really not necessary but if you need it to feel safe take it.

Don't forget your toothbrush and floss.

The Pack is way to big a (Medum Size) will Do. that Big a$$ Bear Canister is not Needed,Things to Ditch. Binoculars, Sunscreen/ Bugspray since you are going in late winter early spring shouldn't have a problem with bugs.Camp pillow just don't need it, Folding hand Saw what's that for, Swimming Shorts wrong time of year for those, Tarp you got a tent so what is it for don't need it,How much extra fuel you going to be carrying if a cannister stove two 4oz cannister's should be plenty if only boiling water. Bro you can go with half that weight but its your hike so go Have lots of fun and Enjoy. RED-DOG

Journal Entries
    Images

-65l pack golite quest
    -sleeping bag/therma-rest pad/camp pillow??? light fleese jacket instead?
    -tarp Tent and Tarp? one or the other not both
    -stove/extra fuel <<< what kind?
    -cook set??? just boiling water right?
    -500ml bear canister < I wouldn't unless you have too.
    -food/spice kit<Leave at home
    -water purifier
    -2x1L water bottles
    -longjohns
    -rain jacket
    -frogtoggs rain pants<Leave at Home
    -conv. pants 1shirt
    -light weather gloves
    -mulitool<Leave at Home
    -folding handsaw<Leave at Home
    -hiking poles
    -micro bic
    -dry box <Leave at Home What is this for?
    -compass only
    -headlamp
    -beanie/sun hat
    -sunglasses
    -sunscreen/bug spray (does it work with ticks?)
    -binoculars<Leave at Home
    -rope
    -pack cover<Leave at Home

That's a start... some of it is a little convoluted.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

"-500ml bear canister"

Thats the smallest bear cannister Ive ever heard of, what you gonna put in that? Cant be too heavy though, might as well bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    "-500ml bear canister"

Thats the smallest bear cannister Ive ever heard of, what you gonna put in that? Cant be too heavy though, might as well bring it.
    It's a BV500 which is 11-1/2 liters. A 500ml Bear Vault would be a choking hazard for bears!

Hmmmm, I agree with the others- that's a big pack. Check out the Mountain Crossings Method. It yields a tried and true cold weather pack at 16-18 lbs. base weight. Add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Fleece beanie and gloves are givens. Tweak for summer and go even lighter. It's really all you need.....

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Ignore the popup.

Oh, and when planning your gear list start thinking in terms of ounces. You'll know what I mean a couple days into the trail.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 07-21-2012 at 13:37.

whats up with people not carrying maps? i can see not carry binoculars if you dont like to check out the birds, but a map? i like to see where im at and not just really on trail markings. i dont understand how my list is considered big. whats a light pack?

Images

there are as many opinions here as hikers. if you don't hi I like you don't like right is just 1 of them. but you can lighten your load a bit

whats up with people not carrying maps? i can see not carry binoculars if you dont like to check out the birds, but a map? i like to see where im at and not just really on trail markings. i dont understand how my list is considered big. whats a light pack?
    No offense, but you call yourself "ultralight," and in the current vernacular that means a base weight (everything except your water, food and fuel) of less than 10 lbs. There are no weights given in you gear list, but from what I see, your base weight exceeds that. So, I suspect people are harping on you because they're slightly confused as to what kind of hiker you are, and what kind of hike you're looking for.

Most of the people who read these forums are thru-hikers. They hike for a number of different reasons, but all of them love being on the trail. The more mileage, the better. Going ultralight lets you cover more miles on a daily basis, go longer before exhaustion kicks in, and thus, to see more of the trail in the time you have available. Thru-hikers are very attuned to ultralight, and when invited to scrutinize someone's gear list, they look over everything and try to think of what is really needed in order to, successfully, complete the planned hike.

That is a thru-hiker's primary goal: completing the planned hike. All the gear taken needs to assist you in reaching that goal-- or it's a waste of space/weight. But everyone has their own plans, and their own goals-- hike your own hike, as the say. If one of your goals for this hike is to "check out the birds," then by all means, take the binoculars. If you want to swim, then take the shorts. Just think very carefully about where you are hiking, when you are hiking, what your essentials are, and what you can really hope to accomplish.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Journal Entries
    Images

Keep the water purifier or whatever it is, and the pack cover.
    Replace the hygene kit with a little liquid soap and hand sanitizer.
    Replace the binoculars with a monocular.
    Replace the boxes and bottles with bags and sacks.
    Eliminate the saw and multitool.
    Nobody knows what a cook set is.
    Add a pot and spoon.
    Eliminate the tarp. You don't have the bug net for it.
    Add a head net.
    ground cloth under pad
    hat
    David Smolinski

I think we're all forgetting the ever so impressionable: HYOH. For instance, I was raised in Ohio and I live in Florida, both of which are drenched in those ****ing bugs. I ****ing hate mosquitos, it ruins everything for me. Therefor, I will be willing to carry that extra 6 oz of DEET even if I never use it, I'd rather always have it there. Its all in how much you're willing to carry and for how long. To some people, going without their cell phone is impossible, to me thats silly.

hyoh

That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!

Journal Entries
    Images

deet......................
    David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

My first reaction: Why do you need both tarp AND tent? Also, I'd leave the multi tool and saw at home. What does "cook kit" mean? For lightweight backpacking all you need is a pot and a cup, spoon/fork/spork. Leave the plates, teapot, bowls, etc., at home.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I would recommend a lightweight first aid kit. A few pain killers, and vaseline/ ultra glide for blisters. Maybe athletic tape and gauze. These are all things I have needed on the trail.

If your 1L bottles are Nalgenes, I would suggest a lighter / cheaper repurposed bottle like a Smart water bottle or similar.

Also, as an example: if you LIKE having binoculars or other gear. Take them, it's your hike! :beer: For me: I would never use them, never miss them, and convince myself they are 10lbs of useless weight!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I take maps, but only what I need: the trail with water supply and any other useful information like resupply points.

I also take a printout of the larger view for alternate routes out, if weather is hammering me.

Otherwise, I hunker down with the emergency (extra) food I always take with me no matter what. That's just me!

I always have a compass, maybe only a Suunto Clipper B mini compass on my pack strap.

I like the Suunto M9 wrist compass for serious map and compass work, not really needed, if hiking a marked trail.

That is the most compass I carry, because it has a sighting slot for serious navigation.

I print maps, using the state series TOPO! maps to know the terrain for alternate routes.

However, the maps made and sold for the trail have important information about water supply and resupply. These maps and guides are well worth the cost. I wouldn't carry an entire book. I would carry the pages I will use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++