WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Permethrin for dogs / tick repellant

I wanted to report that I have had good success using 10% Permethrin, mixed per the enclosed directions, to keep ticks off my pup while hiking. We use Advantix monthly, but before each hike I spray my pup down with the diluted Permethrin. Last year while mixing up a batch of clothing/gear treatment I noticed there was a dog dip mixture. I mixed it up and put it in a spray bottle and wet the pup down good outside, let her dry and she's good to go. Be sure to follow the directions included with the 10% permethrin.

1oz of Martin's 10% Permethrin to 1.5625 gallons of water

Journal Entries
    Images

I am going to honest - I think this is a little too much, so I passed it on to an Entomologist for his opinion. He is an adviser for animals at nearby zoo's and Spca locations. He would not do what you are advising, You are reading the label and this process is used as a last resort, when other products are explored first and failed.

I appreciate you followed the label and did the math - but the Advantix repels ticks already! - In the past I sprayed DWO on the dogs legs and tail... it washes out much easier. Above all did you use disposable gloves when applying?

[BACK/SIDE LABEL PANEL]
    PESTS ON DOGS (DO NOT TREAT PUPPIES LESS THAN TWELVE (12) WEEKS OF AGE
    Fleas, Ticks, including Dilute 8ozs. in 12.5 gals. water Thoroughly wet the animal by
    Deer tick (carrier of Lyme Dilute 1pt. in 25 gals. water dipping, sponging or spraying.
    disease), Lice & Mange Dilute 1qt. in 50 gals. water Allow animal to dry in a warm
    place without rinsing or toweling.
    Do not reapply product for two to
    three weeks. Consult a
    veterinarian before using this
    product on debilitated, aged,
    pregnant or nursing animals or
    animals on medication.

Sensitivities may occur after
    using ANY pesticide product for
    pets. If signs of sensitivity occur,
    bathe your pet with mild soap
    and rinse with large amounts of
    water. If signs continue, consult a
    veterinarian immediately.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-24-2012 at 09:48.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

WOO, thanks for the info. I did ask my vet about this before using it. They are also a large animal vet and use permethrin for Tick infestations. He stated that at the low concentration recommended for the dog dip, that it was plenty safe. He warned that I should watch for skin irritation, which I did and did not observe.

Btw, I have dipped both my jack russells, which have sensitive skins issues, and neither had issues with the dip. They had gotten into a nest of seed ticks and had hundreds of tiny ticks on their legs. Our early warm spring caught me off guard and I had not treated them with Advantix yet.

One other reason I like the permethrin dip prior to a hike is that it also kills Mosquitos and other biting insects on the pup.

Images

Toxicity with pyrethroids is usually associated with applying much more of the product than directed, so caution is due. I use a mild Pyrethrin spray solution on my dog. Essentially, Permethrin is a stronger synthetic version of the organic Pyrethrin. I use Pyrethrin because Permethrin is highly toxic to my cats, whereas Pyrethrin is not. ALSO-- the local fleas have developed a strong resistance/immunity to products like Advantix, Frontline, etc. I consider pyrethrin to be a much better alternative to the uberpriced and ineffective snake oil pushed by the big pharmaceuticals and safer than permethrin as an alternative. I dilute the solution (found at the farm supply) down to .15%. From what I've researched, that's essentially the minimum effective amount. I've found it to be about 99% effective. A stronger dose would probably get that very last flea, but I'd rather be a bit conservative when exposing my animals to chemicals. I also use this same concentration on my garden. In order to preserve the health of my animals, I also use it as little as possible-- usually before big hikes. Being organic, Pyrethrin breaks down rather quickly, but a day or so later, after the Pyrethrin has done its job, I give the dog a bath to wash off the residue. I live in Connecticut (near enough to Lyme), romp in the woods often and I haven't found a single tick on her since I've done this. This is a big change from my dog having had to be treated for lyme's disease three times. I do treat my gear and clothing with a .5% Permethrin bed bug spray also found at the farm supply. Same strength as Sawyers, but cheaper. Although it's just my opinion, I'd say that anything over 1.5% is overkill, whether it's Permethrin or Pyrethrin. Both are also extremely toxic to fish-- that's something to consider when washing clothes or letting your dog take a swim on that hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am also repeat caution about applying - wear disposable gloves the itch lasts for hours and for my back weeks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++