WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Long Trail - SOBO resupply plan

Fiddling around here trying to rough up a resupply plan going south....

1. Leave Journey's End with 3.5 days food

2. Resupply box at Johnson PO, 2 day food resupply

3. Small resupply at Jonesville PO since I'm walking by there. 1 day food resupply and assorted stuff (batteries, prescription meds, etc

4. Hitch into Waitsfield for resupply and take a zero, 4 day food resupply

5. Mail a drop to The Long Trail Inn or go to Rutland to resupply. Perhaps spend the night at the Inn

6. Manchester Center - zero or 2 and resupply

7. Back at car and home

Nothing hard and fast and will likely change but this sort of works with the mileage I'm planning.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

So I am not planning on any mail drops so our re-supply is going to be a bit different. But I am going to re-supply at VT-15 and hitch into Morrisville,

Duxbury Rd. and go into Waterbury

Then again in Rutland at Vt. 125

Then in Rutland at U.S. 4 staying at LT Inn

Then again in Manchester Center.

So I'm looking at carring 2 to 3.5 days worth of food max

I know this will prob change a bit once on the trail but well see how it goes, getting so excited.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

10-K, I assume you're asking for input, so here it is: if you're a 50-year old in very good shape, your plan seems a little aggressive. My 4th night was at RoundTop, before Johnson, and I wasn't taking it easy. I had 3 more nights before I got to Jonesville. I couldn't make it from Jonesville to App Gap without spending a night in the woods. You know what miles you can do, so if you think you have enough, go for it, but the northern part of the LT doesn't have a lot of easy miles. Just my $0.02.

Lazy River: why go past Johnson to get to Morrisville? Johnson's only a couple miles off the trail, it's several more to Morrisville. FYI, at Jonesville, if you choose to forgo a maildrop, Richmond is (almost) as good a spot to resupply as Waterbury, and a bit closer, so take whichever ride comes along first!

I know 10-K is a strong and fast hiker, but the northern end of the LT isn't an easy trail. There's a reason shelters are so close together up there. If you look at the distance vs time table in the back of the LT guide, you'll see thier estimated formula time isn't much over 1 mph in most sections and those times don't include breaks.

10-K, I'd pack a few extra days of food for the first couple of sections, just in case.

The last time I did the northern 1/3d of the LT, I don't think I did more then 1 mph most of the time and often less and it took me a week to get to Johnson. But I had just started doing long distance hiking again and it was in late September. I'm hopeing I can do better this time Unless something comes up to change my mind, I'm going to start a NOBO E2E the middle of next week. Humm, I better start thinking about where I want to resupply too...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks - I really appreciate the precautions about trail conditions and will factor that in.

In my mind I've assumed that the northern end of the trail is about the equivalent of the Whites. I did 15 mile days through the Whites with about the same amount of daylight and I stopped well before dark each day so I was kinda hoping I could maintain at least a 15-17 mpd clip.

As for being in shape, I keep trail legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    10-K, I assume you're asking for input, so here it is: if you're a 50-year old in very good shape, your plan seems a little aggressive. My 4th night was at RoundTop, before Johnson, and I wasn't taking it easy. I had 3 more nights before I got to Jonesville. I couldn't make it from Jonesville to App Gap without spending a night in the woods. You know what miles you can do, so if you think you have enough, go for it, but the northern part of the LT doesn't have a lot of easy miles. Just my $0.02.

Lazy River: why go past Johnson to get to Morrisville? Johnson's only a couple miles off the trail, it's several more to Morrisville. FYI, at Jonesville, if you choose to forgo a maildrop, Richmond is (almost) as good a spot to resupply as Waterbury, and a bit closer, so take whichever ride comes along first!
    The supermarket in Johnson is closed and I read that Jonesville only has a small deli/convenient store in town so I figured I'd hitch into Morrisville, stay the night in a hotel and hit the trail the next day. And thanks for the tip on Richmond Ill def keep that in mind instead of Waterbury.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

[QUOTE=Deadeye;1315373]10-K, I assume you're asking for input, so here it is: if you're a 50-year old in very good shape, your plan seems a little aggressive. My 4th night was at RoundTop, before Johnson, and I wasn't taking it easy. I had 3 more nights before I got to Jonesville. I couldn't make it from Jonesville to App Gap without spending a night in the woods. You know what miles you can do, so if you think you have enough, go for it, but the northern part of the LT doesn't have a lot of easy miles. Just my $0.02.

Deadeye, it took you 7 Days to get to Johnson??? How many miles were you putting in each day, I am just curious as I plan to take 4 days to Johnson doing apx. 11-15 mpd? So ill start off with 3.5 days of food.

I hope you are right. I think of the whites trails as being easier than many Maine sections.

I envisioned the northern part of LT more going up Bigelow via firewarden trail, traversing the range and descending Horn Pond trail.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post

Deadeye, it took you 7 Days to get to Johnson??? How many miles were you putting in each day, I am just curious as I plan to take 4 days to Johnson doing apx. 11-15 mpd? So ill start off with 3.5 days of food.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I hope you are right. I think of the whites trails as being easier than many Maine sections.

I envisioned the northern part of LT more going up Bigelow via firewarden trail, traversing the range and descending Horn Pond trail.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    That would be a nice surprise.

I don't remember the first 100 miles of Vermont being particularly easy either... So when I read about how much easier it gets where the AT joins (going south) I'm a bit skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That would be a nice surprise.

I don't remember the first 100 miles of Vermont being particularly easy either... So when I read about how much easier it gets where the AT joins (going south) I'm a bit skeptical.
    I don't think I consider any part of the LT easy. And I've only done 30 miles in the South and I personally would not consider it easy. But easy is all relative I guess!!! Some parts may be easier then other but it's a tough trail. I am getting excited.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Any recommendations on getting shuttles or public transportation from the northern terminus back to the southern terminus? I plan on starting a northbound hike later this week. I will figure out how to get to back to my car after the hike. The folks at the GMC info center were somewhat helpful. They said it would take a combination of rides to get back to Mass. I've got the LT Guide, End To Enders Guide and the transportation doc they emailed me.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am finding this book helpful for logistics for my planned SOBO in Sept. It has a few options for transportation.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/pro...l.php?sku=2225
    Last edited by Blissful; 07-24-2012 at 09:19.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm reading on Mt Mansfield the rocks, ladders etc. I would not underestimate that section. Plus you dont know weather. I'm planning for an extra day or two supplies in case I get held up by weather and have to hang out at one of the shelter areas.

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I was kinda hoping I could maintain at least a 15-17 mpd clip.
    Guess you won't know til you're out there. Unless you are on a time schedule, I don't see rushing it. Esp in the tough areas. But that's me

Hiking Blog

The Folks at the Green Mountain Club are great. They bent over backwards assisting me when I was planning my end to end that got short changed due to Hurricane Irene.

Some may not be aware but the GMC maintains a Group Notification System to keep hikers informed when large groups will be on the trail. This is especially important during the "Ivy League Orientation Hikes" that occur every year so you can see what shelter areas are likely to be crowded.

Here's the link: http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=153

Download the calendar to view.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 07-24-2012 at 09:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Guess you won't know til you're out there. Unless you are on a time schedule, I don't see rushing it. Esp in the tough areas. But that's me
    15-17 miles a day with 12 hours of daylight isn't rushing it...

I could not find your schedule 10-k but I remember much shorter days . We hiked in September and I got to our destinations almost every night in the dark. Also I would not define the LT as a trail in the AT sense. It is more like a pathway. I enjoyed it a lot . It was a different type of challenge . Plan some flexibility and enjoy!

Images

Long Trail is a R & R hike. Lots of roots & rocks. Figure mahoosics/ western Maine for terrain.Knowing what I have learned about 10K I think he could maintain his pace baring bad weather.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Deadeye, it took you 7 Days to get to Johnson??? How many miles were you putting in each day, I am just curious as I plan to take 4 days to Johnson doing apx. 11-15 mpd? So ill start off with 3.5 days of food.[/QUOTE|

Nope, took me 4 days to get to Johnson, 7 days to get to Jonesville.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++