WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking at byron reece (neels)

How safe is leaving your vehicle here and are there any alternatives?
    We are doing a short hike fron Neels to Springer or visa versa.

Springer parking didn't look to safe last time we were there and saw a thread
    about possible vandalism.

Thanks
    Jeff

I consider both Springer and Neels as "safe" although there have been isolated instances of vandalism at both. I've left my cars at both plenty of times over the years and will continue to do so.

You can park at Lake Winfield Scott and take the Slaughter Creek blue blaze there from where it joins the AT at the S base of Blood. But I know of at least one car that was vandalized there.

The safest spot to park on the AT in Georgia would be in the long term lot at Amicalola Falls State Park. Nothings gonna happen to your car there. But that will add 8 miles to your hike; if you don't have time for that you could start your hike at Woody instead of Neels.

There is a cabin rental place and general store several hundred yards south of Mountain Crossings. I was going to leave a car there several years ago (for a fee) but it was their prime booking season and they didn't want to spare the space. Perhaps if you contact them and they are not busy, they may let you park there short term? It's worth a shot. I can't recall the name of their establishment.

I've used it a lot over the years, never have seen an issue. It is typically quite busy. Usual advice: Stow all valuables. Another option, park at Vogel State Park a couple of miles up the road from Neels.
    GA 80-Miler

Journal Entries
    Images

Seminole, I left my car at the Woody Gap parking area 2 years ago for 4 days and it was fine. Woody Gap is 10 miles south of Neels Gap. You could always do the hike between Woody Gap and Amicalola Park, staying at the lodge at Amicalola. That lodge is awesome, with all you can eat buffet dinner (the night before) and breakfast (the morning you start).

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles View Post
    How safe is leaving your vehicle here and are there any alternatives?
    The very best alternative, IMHO, is to arrange to have your vehicle shuttled on the last day of your hike. I've done lots of section hikes on the AT, and that's always my first choice. You can leave it in a safe place on or off the trail to start with. Then later, like magic, it's there when you set foot off the trail at the end, but was never there overnight.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I did on my very first AT section hike, exactly the same hike you're planning.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-24-2012 at 08:59.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

At this time there is a car in the Springer Parking lot torn to shreds by a bear.I would not leave it there . The safest idea is the shuttle . Reese has not had a vandalism incident this year but who knows?There are several good shuttle options . Gene Roll is one that comes to mind . And under no circumstances leave food in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    Seminole, I left my car at the Woody Gap parking area 2 years ago for 4 days and it was fine.
    Again, thats a site I consider safe and have left my car there numerous times and will continue to do so, but it also has the rare case of vandalism. Some thrus maybe 10 years ago or so witnessed a car being broke into there one night and gave a report to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    There is a cabin rental place and general store several hundred yards south of Mountain Crossings. I was going to leave a car there several years ago (for a fee) but it was their prime booking season and they didn't want to spare the space. Perhaps if you contact them and they are not busy, they may let you park there short term? It's worth a shot. I can't recall the name of their establishment.
    Blood Mountain cabins and general store.
    Moses

++ New Posts ++