WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default LT - fun with numbers

The LT guide lists estimated hiking times between shelters. Just for fun I added up all the times to see how long you'd have to hike to do the whole LT which turn out to be 179.75 hours.

Now if you hike for 8 hours a day, it will take 22.46 days to do the trail. Since the trail is 268.3 miles long, that works out to be 11.94 mpd.

The estimated hiking times are fairly conserative, so most people can beat those times and due to shelter spacing it's not going to possable to hike exactly 8 hours a day. But in the end, I think the 22 days to do the LT is pretty close to an average time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I hope that there is camping possible between shelters. I count on that...

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Yeah me to. I dont always camp at shelters.
    But I hammock so i can sleep anywhere I find two trees. Im on a 21 day schedule so I cant always stop at shelters and will have to camp in between

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The LT guide lists estimated hiking times between shelters. Just for fun I added up all the times to see how long you'd have to hike to do the whole LT which turn out to be 179.75 hours.

Now if you hike for 8 hours a day, it will take 22.46 days to do the trail. Since the trail is 268.3 miles long, that works out to be 11.94 mpd.

The estimated hiking times are fairly conserative, so most people can beat those times and due to shelter spacing it's not going to possable to hike exactly 8 hours a day. But in the end, I think the 22 days to do the LT is pretty close to an average time.
    Wow, I had no idea, 22 day average @ 11 mpd. I'd think that many who post here would eat 11 miles before lunch, at least that's what they tell us. Is it that the trail is that tough, muddy (Vermud), ups and downs, roots in trail bed, difficult traverses, and that 's the reason for the 11 mpd average, that just seems like a very conservative average. What gives here?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I may come back humbled and that's ok but it would have to be one hell of an eastern trail if I can't do over 15 mpd with 12 hours of daylight.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I hope that there is camping possible between shelters.
    There is plenty of camping between shelters, especially in the southern parts of the trail, as the north is rockier and more mountainous. Depending on weather, you might be able to sleep on mountain vistas, i.e. Mt Abraham (even though shelter is fairly close), Stratton, Madonna, just to name a few.

Youre going to have a blast!

I think adding time for elevation gain/elevation loss might explain the relatively conservative estimated pace.

Also the fitness level of the hikers who post on this site might not be representive of the fitness level of the average hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I hope that there is camping possible between shelters. I count on that...
    Yes and no. The LT traveres Federal (National forest), State and Private land. Camping rules are different for each type of land, so you need to know what the land ownership is for the area your hiking through.

From the green Mt club web site...

Private land (almost all the trail north of the AT cut off, except for state land) - no camping or fires except at designated sites - NO EXCEPTIONS!

State Land - primitive camping is permitted below 2500 feet, except for some areas on Camel's Hump and land north of Mt Mansfield. Must be 200 yards from trail and water souces. Build no fires.

Federal land - Camping between shelters is permited along much of the LT in the national forest between the MA boarder and VT 140 and between Sherburne pass and Mt Ellen. (there are some areas of private land in between). Small wood fires are allowed, but of course discouraged.

WHEN IN DOUBT whose land your on, CAMP ONLY IN DESIGNATED AREAS - since it will often be difficult to determine who's land your on, your best bet is to camp only at designated areas. This really shouldn't be a problem as the LT has 60 shelters or campsites and none of them are too far apart.

Besides the above restictive regulations, as is the case will most New England trails, it follows along the top of a fairly narrow and rugged ridge line, with steep sides, thickly grown in forest on either side and pleanty of rocks and tree limbs littering the ground making camping off trail a difficult challenge.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Rocket socks, you were looking at the wrong chart. There is a young and fast chart, but the real chart if for the old fat slow people. That's the one I go by!

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Slo-Go'en - Thanks for doing the math on this. I saw those tables in the End to Ender's Guide. I suppose since those times are in the End to Ender's Guide it assumes the hiker is carrying a loaded backpack. I assume those times are for ideal weather conditions during the summer months. The guide does not say how they arrived at those estimates.

I recently hiked the LT in 23 days (5 days in town) so 18 actual hiking days. I didnt find it too hard to average 15 a day. Mainly because the days are so long you dont have to rush, just maintain a steady pace for awhile! I felt there was a lot of hype about the Northern section too. It didnt seem as bad as everyone had said. Its a beautiful trail. It was an incredible experience and im very sad its over!

++ New Posts ++