WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mystery Helicopters (as mentioned in "Three Hundred Zeroes")

I'm reading "Three Hundred Zeroes" and at one point (p175-177) the author mentions that on at least 4 occasions during his hike (full AT, split over 2 years) a helicopter with no lights on hovered just over the treetops over the AT shelter/campsite he was at during the night. He speculates (not sure how seriously) about the helicopters testing some kind of identification technology that would be useful in guerrilla warfare and claims he learned in conversation that "many other hikers" have experienced similar odd helicopter activity while on the AT.

Is Blanchard ribbing us? Has anyone on these forums witnessed odd nocturnal helicopter activity while on the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshism View Post
    I'm reading "Three Hundred Zeroes" and at one point (p175-177) the author mentions that on at least 4 occasions during his hike (full AT, split over 2 years) a helicopter with no lights on hovered just over the treetops over the AT shelter/campsite he was at during the night. He speculates (not sure how seriously) about the helicopters testing some kind of identification technology that would be useful in guerrilla warfare and claims he learned in conversation that "many other hikers" have experienced similar odd helicopter activity while on the AT.

Is Blanchard ribbing us? Has anyone on these forums witnessed odd nocturnal helicopter activity while on the AT?
    There looking for dope growers, or maybe they were testing there early generation Infrared cameras and or night vision scopes, but really who knows, one things for sure if Woody say's he saw it, I've no reason to call BS, and in fact am intrigued.

They were there to pick up Big Foot's pack so he could slack pack.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Cleaning up the trail. Same concept as using a very large leaf blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Cleaning up the trail. Same concept as using a very large leaf blower.
    $25 Million dollar leaf blower? Right up there with a $300 hammer!

I think there just on coffee break, and one says to the other, "Lets get them hiker trash dope smokers paranoid" then tomorrow, will pick up all the dropped baggies....... or the leaf blower thing is plausible too

Testing high powered fans to see which one most effectively blew the hiker stench away.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

There are a couple of military reservations and training areas that are adjacent to the AT. One year we were driving on the fireroad that rouhgly parallels the AT north of springer and we ran into some special forces offciers getting ready for the evenings exercises, apparently the trainees have to attack the ridgeline as an exercise. The officers sit on top and set up barbeques. I wouldnt be surprised if helicopters werent involved with night vision gear. Someone we met who was camped near there that we ran into said it sounded like a war for an hour or so. There is also the big military training area at Swatera Gap n PA and probably several others. There are also special training events on occasion on the ME NH border. One year the military had to come retreive more than few dummy explosives strapped underneath local bridges and towers in the Mahoosuc Area.
    I expect that there are a lot of training oportunities where night vision equipped copters might be hovering around ridgelines. I have see tactics in the media that some of the strategies is hover stationary behind a ridgeline and pop up as needed to get a view without getting shot at. That would fit with the description. Depressingly I expect the training opportunties for mountainous terrain training is in demand.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There are a couple of military reservations and training areas that are adjacent to the AT. One year we were driving on the fireroad that rouhgly parallels the AT north of springer and we ran into some special forces offciers getting ready for the evenings exercises, apparently the trainees have to attack the ridgeline as an exercise. The officers sit on top and set up barbeques. I wouldnt be surprised if helicopters werent involved with night vision gear. Someone we met who was camped near there that we ran into said it sounded like a war for an hour or so. There is also the big military training area at Swatera Gap n PA and probably several others. There are also special training events on occasion on the ME NH border. One year the military had to come retreive more than few dummy explosives strapped underneath local bridges and towers in the Mahoosuc Area.
    I expect that there are a lot of training oportunities where night vision equipped copters might be hovering around ridgelines. I have see tactics in the media that some of the strategies is hover stationary behind a ridgeline and pop up as needed to get a view without getting shot at. That would fit with the description. Depressingly I expect the training opportunties for mountainous terrain training is in demand.
    In my gallery I put a photo of our Helo squadron at Camp Merrill 10 miles from Sringer in 1976. While driving down a dirt road I came apon White Blazes. All that week we ferried Officer Rangers all over those mountains. My only time in Georgia on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    $25 Million dollar leaf blower? Right up there with a $300 hammer!
    Don't forget the $600 toliet seats! Though in all fairness, some of those (only some) are just line items to hide black program funding.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Default $219 hammer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UE2BQ2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

If this is the hammer it's not that much of a mark up.

Default That May have been me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshism View Post

When was the time frame of the book? Back in the Vietnam War (1965 to 1971), I was a helicopter pilot in the USAF. In 1970, we were testing technology that allowed us to fly in total darkness. Current technology is much more sophisitcated, but the basic concepts are the same. Most of our test flights were on military bases in Arizona and New Mexico, but I remember at leaast one flight that basically tracked up the AT from Georgia to CT.

Here is a link to an article discussion the technology -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    When was the time frame of the book? Back in the Vietnam War (1965 to 1971), I was a helicopter pilot in the USAF. In 1970, we were testing technology that allowed us to fly in total darkness. Current technology is much more sophisitcated, but the basic concepts are the same. Most of our test flights were on military bases in Arizona and New Mexico, but I remember at leaast one flight that basically tracked up the AT from Georgia to CT.

Here is a link to an article discussion the technology -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display
    I think our President is using this technology, but he can't seem to get it right. maybe he can't focus.

Very cool that you worked with this stuff Shutterbug, funny how most all the cool toys we now take for granted, came out of Military use,ie space blanket, tyvek, freeze dried ice cream, tang, plastics, and on and on.

Could be a good thread Topic? "Hiking and Tech....where did it come from"?
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-24-2012 at 21:58.

The Mountain phase of the Army Ranger course is based at Camp Merrill, just outside Dahlonega, GA. Some of their training activities take place very close to Hawk Mountain Shelter on the AT. Nighttime helo opns are fairly typical during the training.

Images

One time at Hawk Mt Shelter we had a ranger patrol come through the campsite. Later that night they tried sneaking up on us. The rest of the night we listened to firefight with choppers circling overhead.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Only helicoptors? Count your blessings

As you drive up to some of the trail heads near Fort Indianhead Gap, you'll see signs like these:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=52384&c=712
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=52385&c=712

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Golden Bear - that right up to "Duck & Cover...."

Here ya go...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    As you drive up to some of the trail heads near Fort Indianhead Gap, you'll see signs like these:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=52384&c=712
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=52385&c=712

here is the past video if you look carefully a few minutes in you see the AT ridge out the back of the Chinook

I cant go deep on this, appears to be Blackhawk training for afganistan, for trainee pilots at Fort Indian Town Gap.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-25-2012 at 01:27.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

National forests are used all the time for military exercises and helos are used all the time over the federal lands to minimize impact in case of an accident and its just a place to do things to minimize pissing off people with the activities. I have come across a group of officers training on orienteering in groups of two to seeing fast rapelling off of blackhawks to ridgetops. The Georgia area is known for as training ground for Afghanistan deployments due to terrain similarities (minus the trees!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++