WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Alcohol fuel bottle

I carry a trangia stove and occasionally i'll carry a super cat stove. I've been using prescription cough syrup bottles "bummed" from the pharmacy to store/carry my fuel. Curious what others use as fuel bottles. With the supercat do you actually measure fuel or just dump some in and hope it's enough?

--Matt

Most people just learn how many capfuls of alcohol it takes to cook a meal given the size of their bottle cap. Whatever bottle you use, make sure it is labeled properly so that nobody picks it up and tries to drink out of it.

I use a 12-oz plastic Coke bottle. The red cap reminds me it's fuel, not water. I pour right from the bottle into my Super Cat up to the bottom of the first row of holes. That's enough fuel to boil a couple of cups of water.

Hey Matt, I use a small Odwalla bottle for shorter trips and a Nalgene for longer ones. I just fill SuperCat to the first row of holes and this makes hot water for meal and drink. I read somewhere to avoid PET#1 and use #2, a reactivity thing with the alcohol.
    -My feet are my only carriage so I've got to push on through-

Hi Matt:
    I went from the small plastic white bottles (forget them, they leak) to a regular spring water bottle which worked out better. I saw on a video that a guy used a platypus bottle to store his alcohol in. I might try that idea because I like the fact that the Platypus bottles are flexible when they're not completely filled vs. standard bottles that won't flex. I like the idea of rolling up the bottle or flattening the bottle out as I use the alcohol. I have a Platypus bottle and the caps are sturdy in my experience. BTW, use a piece of velcro on the top of the cap and place the fuzzy side of the velcro to the side of the bottle. This way you won't lose your cap because you stuck it to the side of your bottle.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Images

I've been using a nalgene flask as it is sturdy, but I never had a leak using old mouthwash bottles. Either way they go in an outside pocket of the pack so being flat sided is the advantage.

I like the smaller size Listerene bottles...12 oz I believe.

Cleaned out camp suds bottle that I put ounce markings and 'yuck' stickers on. It has a flip top, so I only take the top off to refill it.

-FA

I use a .3L Trangia fuel bottle. Denat isn't something I want spilling all over me or my gear.

I carry a 15 oz. Tropicana Orange Juice bottle. It's bombproof and leakproof. You'll save fuel if you measure every time. I carry an old 35mm plastic film cannister which holds exactly 1oz. It doesn't take long to figure out how much fuel you need to boil 2 cups of water for a Mountain House Meal or a Knorr's Pasta Side for that matter.

Life is good when you're able to lift your pot up just when it achieves a boil and the fire in your stoves goes out stove fire burns out......

Thanks for the ideas... The on bottle sounds like a great idea, since I have one in the fridge now. Also like the listerene idea since it has a cap for measuring...

Images

I use the Heet bottle with an after market flip top cap. No mistaking what's in that brite yellow bottle.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

As for measuring...
    I prefer to put more fuel than I think I need for two reasons :
    1) a lot of stoves perform better when more fuel than needed is used (I have no idea why but it appears to be that way with my 12-10)
    2) and this is the main reason, even in the protected and well performing in the wind Caldera Cone the actual fuel usage changes with water and air temperature as well as in the wind. Also I heat up the water according to what I will use it for , so less for coffee, more for chocolate, almost boiling for soup and full boil for re-hydrating my meal.
    So rather than guessing I just put more and then I snuff it out when done and recover the leftover fuel later.
    This means that I never have to start the stove again. (if you do make sure the burner has cooled down before starting again...)
    See how to "snuff" and recover from around 3 min in ...

Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    I like the smaller size Listerene bottles...12 oz I believe.
    I was just in Target today and saw that in the sample section, there are Listerine bottles that hold 3.2 Fl Oz. This is the perfect amount (for me) for a weekend backpacking trip, and they come with a fluid-tight lid. So, should anyone else want a Listerine bottle smaller than a 12 Fl Ozer, now you know where to get one.

Some of my fuel bottles
    Fuel-bottles.jpg
    (I don't hike with kids...)
    In Australia alcohol (95% Ethanol) is sold in type 1 plastic bottles.
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    I was just in Target today and saw that in the sample section, there are Listerine bottles that hold 3.2 Fl Oz. This is the perfect amount (for me) for a weekend backpacking trip, and they come with a fluid-tight lid. So, should anyone else want a Listerine bottle smaller than a 12 Fl Ozer, now you know where to get one.
    A quick correction as I just looked in my purchases: it is a Target generic version of Listerine bottle.

I use a former saline solution bottle. Like anything it has pros and cons. I like the rounded edges, the squirt-tip, and the size is perfect so my DIY coffee filter holder fits on it during travel. I don't like that I need a pliers to pull the top off for refills, and that I can't easily see the level of fuel. These are minor, though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I use the Heet bottle with an after market flip top cap. No mistaking what's in that brite yellow bottle.
    +1 I just use the bottle it comes in! I know...crazy...right? Maddeog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    As for measuring...
    I prefer to put more fuel than I think I need for two reasons :
    1) a lot of stoves perform better when more fuel than needed is used (I have no idea why but it appears to be that way with my 12-10)
    2) and this is the main reason, even in the protected and well performing in the wind Caldera Cone the actual fuel usage changes with water and air temperature as well as in the wind. Also I heat up the water according to what I will use it for , so less for coffee, more for chocolate, almost boiling for soup and full boil for re-hydrating my meal.
    So rather than guessing I just put more and then I snuff it out when done and recover the leftover fuel later.
    This means that I never have to start the stove again. (if you do make sure the burner has cooled down before starting again...)
    See how to "snuff" and recover from around 3 min in ...

Franco
    Agree. And to help justify pouring more fuel than needed, I too use a 10-12 stove, but Packafeather's flip cap with filler tube on my bottle which allows me to retrieve unspent fuel. I can suck remaining alcohol back into the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    I carry a trangia stove and occasionally i'll carry a super cat stove. I've been using prescription cough syrup bottles "bummed" from the pharmacy to store/carry my fuel. Curious what others use as fuel bottles. With the supercat do you actually measure fuel or just dump some in and hope it's enough?

--Matt
    I use a plastic Vodka bottle. It is shaped like a flask with a little curve in the backside, holds about 14oz. and fits nicely in my pack side pocket. I took a lid from dog soap bottle that has a flip pour spout and put it on the Vodka bottle to make it easy to fill the stove without spilling fuel.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++