WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default North Carolina Hiker Dies in Vermont

Does anyone have any more info on this death? http://rutlandherald.com/article/201...STIN/707259939

62 and "Collapsed while hiking" - could be a heart attack. Sure been a lot of people dying on the trail this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

His Obituary:
    http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dig...375&FHID=10726

He was from the area I live in.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

How very sad.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    How very sad.
    very true but otoh what a great way to depart from this world. condolences to his friends and family.

I'm not sure a heart attack qualifies as a great way to die, though the location and present activities certainly were. Good luck to his family, may your mourning be short.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    How very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    very true but otoh what a great way to depart from this world. condolences to his friends and family.
    I gotta agree with 4shot. We ALL have to go. Give it to me hiking the AT rather than slowly, suffering, in some hospital bed, bankrupting my family in the process.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    62 and "Collapsed while hiking" - could be a heart attack. Sure been a lot of people dying on the trail this year.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????/what he said

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Does anyone have any more info on this death? http://rutlandherald.com/article/201...STIN/707259939
    Saw it in paper today also. Wish the family the best. He was a long way from Cary. Hope he had a great hike and hope I live long enough to make it to Vermont.

Miller

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????/what he said
    coach, we're gonna be fine.
    really.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    coach, we're gonna be fine.
    really.
    I'm just goin' back to my thread of a few weeks ago

the man said it all. that was the nicest man ive ever known.could anyone ever say anthing better of you.My deepest regrets to the family and friends for your loss.

It is sad, but I completely agree with those who say this is a good way to go. It was quick and he was doing something he loved. I deal with people on a daily basis who have deteriorated to the point where they cannot walk, bathe themselves or even feed themselves. I will tell you that they would have all preferred to exit in this manner. My thoughts go to his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    His Obituary:
    http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dig...375&FHID=10726

He was from the area I live in.
    He loved the AT; from his obituary:

"In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, PO Box 807, Harpers Ferry, WV, 25425."

My deepest sympathy to this mans family and friends. I envy him a way. I don't know if I'll be able to go out doing something I love.
    I agree with the majority. Better to burn out than it is to rust, hey hey, my my.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

From a good old Jimmy Buffet song: "I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I'm dead."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'm just goin' back to my thread of a few weeks ago
    yeah, we should make sure he was actually ON the AT, not down a blue blaze to a spring or shelter or at a road crossing 5 feet off the trail sitting on a log or perhaps a few feet off the trail digging a cat hole. cause if any of those are true then we all know we cant rightfully claim he died "on" the AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    yeah, we should make sure he was actually ON the AT, not down a blue blaze to a spring or shelter or at a road crossing 5 feet off the trail sitting on a log or perhaps a few feet off the trail digging a cat hole. cause if any of those are true then we all know we cant rightfully claim he died "on" the AT.
    If we get like a week long rain, I'm going back and count...........that's all I'm sayin'

I wondered how many posts it would take before someone issued the 'He was doing what he loved....good way to go" bulls**t. Yeah, there are tons worse ways to go, but noone gets on the trail thinking, "Boy, hope I die on my hike cause it'd be a great way to go." Maybe if you have a terminal disease or something, yeah. Otherwise, this guy probably had a wife, kids, loved ones that he'll never get to talk to again. No last "I love you". Nothing. How is that a good thing?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    , "Boy, hope I die on my hike cause it'd be a great way to go."
    Um, yeah...I've had a similar thought, actually. Morbid maybe, but it did come to mind on a recent hike. I certainly didn't wish I died on the trail, but I did think to myself there could be worse places to die.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++