WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent Contrail - actual weight?

I'm considering getting a Contrail. Manufacturer's weight is listed as 24.5 but I've seen actual weights closer to 30.

Can anybody weight out the actual tent itself, without stakes or groundcloth?

The advertised tarptent weights are stock as shipped, including their bag and accessories (stakes and pole if it needs them).
    My Tarptent Moment was right on, new. It gained about 2 oz when I seam sealed and spotted the floor (to reduce pad sliding) it. It now weighs right on 2 lb. Depending on how you seamseal and how heavy you do it makes the differences. If it gains over 3 or 4 oz, you overdid the seamsealing.

I dont have the Contrail but the weight for the TT Double and Notch were right on. As already stated, how you seam seal and anti-skid the floor will make a difference.

It changes a bit from batch to batch,the last one I weighed was just over 26 oz with the 4 stakes so a bit under 25 without.
    I use less than 1 oz of silicone to seam seal a Contrail, under 2 oz if I stripe the floor as well.
    Of late I have opted for a thin stripe layer because it grips just as well and saves some weight.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    It changes a bit from batch to batch,the last one I weighed was just over 26 oz with the 4 stakes so a bit under 25 without.
    I use less than 1 oz of silicone to seam seal a Contrail, under 2 oz if I stripe the floor as well.
    Of late I have opted for a thin stripe layer because it grips just as well and saves some weight.
    Franco
    Can you tell me the weight of the tent with guylines + stuffsack (not sealed)?

I don't have any Contrails here right now (apart from my own and that is seam sealed and made with the previous fabric so a different weight anyway...)
    As stated above they do change a bit in weight because the fabric itself changes a bit with every run.
    The 4 pegs are about 35 g (that is just over 1 oz...) so expect between 23 and 25 oz for the shelter inc guylines and stuff sack minus the stakes.
    Franco

Confirming that. My Contrail is about 25oz all up in the stuffsack.

My Contrail is also right at 25 oz with everything. It is a 2009 model IIRC.

Mine is 27.4oz in stuffsack (my scale might be a tad off). Thinking about selling my Contrail soon and picking up a cuben setup.
    My name is Greg and I think I am becoming a gram weenie !

Images

Mine is 33 oz with everything except stakes. I have all the guy lines and some extra---worth the weight....

++ New Posts ++