WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Proper procedure and rude practices

I'm going to list a few dos and don'ts as see how you feel about them. I'm a HYOH type but there are a few AT practices that everyone should know.
    This list is not at all comprehensive. Feel free to add on or disagree:

DOs

Pleasantly nod and briefly greet hikers you pass on the trail - - especially in remote areas
    Share important trail info (i.e. - "I just saw a bear at ___." or "There is no water at ___ shelter." etc.
    Yield in general to uphill hikers (unless special circumstances exist)
    Step to the high side of the trail to avoid erosion
    Keep generally on the quiet side while hiking and camping so others can enjoy
    Practice basic LNT - - you should adhere to at least some forest preservation and care (if you want to call it something else, fine)
    If you are stealth camping, no one should be able to tell you were there at all - no fire ring, no tent indention, nothing.
    Offer to get water if you are going to the water source - be helpful - offer hungry thru-hikers extra food if you are a weekender with plenty
    Hang your food or bear-box if you are in the shelter - - if you are tenting, do what you do.
    Throw mulch and leaves in the privy
    Be respectful of the trail, the forest, wildlife, and other hikers.

Don'ts

Don't try to chat-up everyone you see - a nod and a smile is usually plenty
    Don't get involved in someone else's epic (unless they are in real trouble) - fine line here.
    Don't build a campfire just because you are camping and don't build new fire rings (try a candle - they are nice)
    Don't build fires in the wind and cut down things in the woods
    Don't smoke in trail shelters - - some folks are allergic - - just politely step outside
    Don't pitch your tent in a shelter (unless it's the dead of winter and no one is around) - it's rude
    Don't make a bunch of noise - people are mostly out for solace and relaxation - - they probably don't like your classic rock or whatever
    Don't expect people to fetch you water and give you food - - asking and offering are a big difference
    If you know you are going to fart and snore all night long or make an ass of yourself, you should tent.
    Don't leave your toilet paper on the ground - - it takes 2 seconds to bury it and it takes 2 months to go away if you don't.
    Don't pee in the privy (unless it just comes out and you can't help it)

Images

Pretty good list.i would add respect hiker midnight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Pretty good list.i would add respect hiker midnight.
    I agree - - I'm too nice to wake the a-holes that were chatting at midnight at 4:45 am when I get up to hike though.

Images

Wow, should you guys put this in the bylaws or what? Makes me nervous to even hike the AT...........afraid I"l piss someone off. I'll just stay on the trail less traveled just to be safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Wow, should you guys put this in the bylaws or what? Makes me nervous to even hike the AT...........afraid I"l piss someone off. I'll just stay on the trail less traveled just to be safe.
    No bylaws justZCOMMON COURTESY.a useful concept in todays world.now read it again.it says
    "be nice."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I would have just gone with "Be nice, be respectful of the trail and other people and don't be a d*ck" but you did a fine job of sorting out the detail.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I would have just gone with "Be nice, be respectful of the trail and other people and don't be a d*ck" but you did a fine job of sorting out the detail.
    thank you, but you see - you are "the choir" and not exactly the target audience who I'm preaching to - - they need it spelled out in detail.

I like it D, but do clarify the whole "Epic" thing, a little unclear on that one.? just curious

don't stress about it. if you're a good person the stuff that flies is what comes natural to you. if you're not, then no list on the internet is going to change the way you act. folks are easy in the woods and tough on the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I like it D, but do clarify the whole "Epic" thing, a little unclear on that one.? just curious
    Let's see - - here is an example - - 2 hikers wake up with soaked sleeping bags because they pitched their tent in a low bare spot that became a giant puddle - - they are cold and wet and miserable (but not hypothermic or in a life or death deal) - - they are having an "epic" - you don't spend a bunch of time trying to help them because it is a learning experience for them and your day is valuable to you - - this isn't the best example, but I have been drawn in to countless such situations - - from repairing peoples stoves, backpacks, recovering lost items, etc. - - this is not to say don't be helpful and nice (offer jumper cables if you have them) - - like I said, it's a fine line. Just remember that often "no good deed goes unpunished."

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Let's see - - here is an example - - 2 hikers wake up with soaked sleeping bags because they pitched their tent in a low bare spot that became a giant puddle - - they are cold and wet and miserable (but not hypothermic or in a life or death deal) - - they are having an "epic" - you don't spend a bunch of time trying to help them because it is a learning experience for them and your day is valuable to you - - this isn't the best example, but I have been drawn in to countless such situations - - from repairing peoples stoves, backpacks, recovering lost items, etc. - - this is not to say don't be helpful and nice (offer jumper cables if you have them) - - like I said, it's a fine line. Just remember that often "no good deed goes unpunished."
    Nope, I get it now. thanks for the clarification, just never heard that term before. Yep I like it , good one, help when you can, but, hey I'm here to hike too, so see ya on the South side of Hoboken.

I'll add one more, Don't wash your pots at the water source. Good list.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Images

Agreed, like the list. I think being helpful where you can is a good idea, so erring somewhat on the side of getting involved in s/o else's epic where it's not at great cost to you can be a fine thing. A newer hiker can learn from a more experienced one in such circumstances, at less cost to the newbie, and it builds good will in the community.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Great post&list,just wish more acted this way.Some of younger crowd seem to enjoy not following any of this advice...

A hiker lady was running low on fuel, I offered her some of mine, made the mistake of letting her pour it, she used more for a cup of coffee than I used all week....Murphy's first law...no good deed goes unpunished.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    A hiker lady was running low on fuel, I offered her some of mine, made the mistake of letting her pour it, she used more for a cup of coffee than I used all week....Murphy's first law...no good deed goes unpunished.
    Back in April I was out on a maintenance&shelter check trip.A couple of young guys came into camp about dark.I had a very small fire going,it was a little bit cold&windy.I got in my tent about 9pm and told one of them that he could use my small hand ax,which I use for trail maintenance,if he wanted to try to cut some of the dead wood laying around.I went home the next day.Looked at my ax a few days later and the cutting edge looked like a saw blade! Never again will I let anyone under 40 years old use it...

It's a good list. If others want to ignore it - that's up to them. But at least they won't be ignorant of "General Hiking Courtesies."

You might want to add:

Don't talk on your phone around others if possible.
    Don't try to hog the shelters for your buddies.

Journal Entries

This is a real good list.

I've never heard you aren't supposed to pee in a privy.

Good list.

The one that I never remember, even after all these years, is the "yield to those going uphill". It makes no sense to me at. If I'm going uphill I like waiting and taking a quick break. Anyway, it's never been an issue. I have never had a collision from forgetting the rule.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Good list.

The one that I never remember, even after all these years, is the "yield to those going uphill". It makes no sense to me at. If I'm going uphill I like waiting and taking a quick break. Anyway, it's never been an issue. I have never had a collision from forgetting the rule.
    I always lift a bent arm when turning onto a blue trail, just so's I don't get rear ended.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++