WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Images

Hike quietly, don't look at anyone, where to crap, what to wipe with and where to put it. No fires, no noise, don't fart, don't snore, keep quiet, no eye contact, don't say hello, don't smoke, don't drink spirits, AND NO DRUGS! Hike your own hike quietly of course.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    That was you? I switched glasses when Papa D was in the bathroom.
    HA HA HA HO HO HO

Good list of course but I find that it is best to realize that when you use a shelter it is a shared area and because of that you lose the ability to control what does or doesnt happen. If you are a person that feels the need to tell ppl not to start campfires etc you probably are not going to like staying at shelters. These days unless its a monsoon I skip them entirely. HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMP View Post
    Good list of course but I find that it is best to realize that when you use a shelter it is a shared area and because of that you lose the ability to control what does or doesnt happen. If you are a person that feels the need to tell ppl not to start campfires etc you probably are not going to like staying at shelters. These days unless its a monsoon I skip them entirely. HYOH.
    If I had to sleep in a shelter, I'd just stay home. There are too many mice and people who are wound too tight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    If I had to sleep in a shelter, I'd just stay home. There are too many mice and people who are wound too tight.
    the mice are relaxed and confident

Journal Entries
    Images

only because I wasn't present. When I show up I throw them a last right party.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the mice are relaxed and confident
    With good reason. They own the place.
    Last edited by aficion; 11-11-2013 at 21:34.

aficion.. I'm in BIG trouble. I break rule #1 on the Don't list all the time when I hike... I like to "chat-up" everyone I meet. Can you "keep up" with me?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Yield in general to uphill hikers (unless special circumstances exist)

Step to the high side of the trail to avoid erosion
    Re-reading this list. I've still never understood who came up with the "Yield to uphill hikers" thing or why people think it's some sort of rule. It takes zero effort to stop when walking uphill, when going downhill a person has to fight gravity and momentum to stop, if the person coming downhill is a trail runner, then stopping suddenly takes serious effort and could actually be dangerous. Either way I almost always yield to everyone, partially because I'm nice and partially because I'm out of shape.

"Step to the high side of the trail to avoid erosion". one exception to this: If you ever hike on multi-use trails and encounter horses or pack animals always step offtrail downhill. ​In the off chance that the animals spook they will almost always run uphill, best to be out of their way.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    aficion.. I'm in BIG trouble. I break rule #1 on the Don't list all the time when I hike... I like to "chat-up" everyone I meet. Can you "keep up" with me?
    Judging by your recently skeered-off avatar, I probably cannot currently keep up with you in the short run.....hiking, that is. (Notice the many qualifiers.) As far as chatting....you got me beat hands down. No contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Re-reading this list. I've still never understood who came up with the "Yield to uphill hikers" thing or why people think it's some sort of rule. It takes zero effort to stop when walking uphill, when going downhill a person has to fight gravity and momentum to stop, if the person coming downhill is a trail runner, then stopping suddenly takes serious effort and could actually be dangerous. Either way I almost always yield to everyone, partially because I'm nice and partially because I'm out of shape.

"Step to the high side of the trail to avoid erosion". one exception to this: If you ever hike on multi-use trails and encounter horses or pack animals always step offtrail downhill. ​In the off chance that the animals spook they will almost always run uphill, best to be out of their way.
    Pack critters make their own rules. You just gotta stay outta th way.

Images

“Rules? Rules? We don't need no stinking rules.”.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    “Rules? Rules? We don't need no stinking rules.”.
    Mules don't need no stinking rules!

I can settle the uphill/downhill once and for all. The coast guard has ruled that down stream/hill has the right of way as an up stream/hill vessel/hiker has more control and ability to maneuver. This is firmly chiseled into the code of federal regulations. Violate it at your peril. They have some head/privy rules you may want to check into also!

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Mules don't need no stinking rules!
    My mule don't follow rules

Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
    This is a real good list.

I've never heard you aren't supposed to pee in a privy.
    I'm wondering why? It would seem the pee would help the rest break down. Could somebody please explain the reasoning on this one?
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    that is what the plant matter is for it adds moisture,increases air flow ,and feeds the bacteria.
    How would TP not also be a carbon source? Talking plain white, no deodorizers added, no lubrication, just plain paper.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    THESE ??

• Trustworthy,
    • Loyal,
    • Helpful,
    • Friendly,
    • Courteous,
    • Kind,
    • Obedient,
    • Cheerful,
    • Thrifty,
    • Brave,
    • Clean,
    • and Reverent.

These are just a bunch of nice terms that are easy to memorize and batt around but they are incredibly general - - they can and do mean nearly anything to anyone.

I find that many new folks and those that are set in their ways would do good to learn, WHAT SPECIFIC things are considered rude, and WHY exactly you don't do certain things because many things in the forest setting are counterintuitive. To some, cutting down a tree with an axe and making a rock fire ring might seem "thrifty" or it might seem "brave" to sleep with your food around bears and it might seem "clean" to wash your dishes in the creek, "reverent" to record your adventure by carving something on the shelter wall, or even "friendly" to talk my ear off when I'm trying to sleep at 9:00 pm. This sort of knee-jerk response is SOO typical of those that don't have a real clue.
    Scouts also follow LNT. As a scouter, my troop is taught that being quiet at night (or on the trail) is part of LNT (and of course, being courteous). Good Scouters (something I aspire to) constantly are telling the boys specific applications of the Scout law in everyday life. ALso, some of your examples, make no sense. Reverent refers to being adherent to your own and respectful of other's religious beliefs. Don't know of any religion that reveres recording your adventures on walls.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

That, and as a SM who's wife was into trailriding taught, horses and other pack animals usually think of anything above them being a possible predator. Going downhill reduces that.
    Thoreau

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++