WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why can no one do a documentary on the AT of this quality?

Watched this on Netflix tonight.

http://www.ridethedividemovie.com/

Blows away any AT Doc I've ever seen in production quality.

Sweet, real nice looking. In answer to your question, I don't have a clue, but I sure do think your on to something there, maybe it'll happen, thanks for posting, I'd sure like to see the whole show, looks great!

Images

It's a heck of a lot different when you have a crew that can follow you can driving on most of the path, everyone can sleep in hotels many times, and the entire trip is days instead of months. I think the last part is the biggest issue because you'd have so much more video to store and edit with a hike. Also, hiking and support would cost much more. I haven't watched it in many months, so I forget some details, but I remember that it was a totally different type of trip. It's a nice trip though. I home I'm able to do that trip someday.

Good Points:

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

• It's a heck of a lot different when you have a crew that can follow you can driving on most of the path
    • everyone can sleep in hotels many times
    • the entire trip is days instead of months
    • you'd have so much more video to store and edit with a hike.

NatGeo did a very good one on the Appalachian Trail, titled exactly that. It's on Netflix if you want to go watch it.

I can do it but you'd need to pay me lotta money first :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post

Blows away any AT Doc I've ever seen in production quality.
    It also blows away all the movies I've seen about bicycling, kind of a tough act to follow.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

I had the task of sitting through southbounders, horrible movie, watch it but just know this, it is very painful to watch.

I think if someone did a documentary on the AT just filming georgia the Ga and NC section the first month of hiking to see how many bail out would be very good, just to show how tough the trail can be

Also would be cool if they did a race like ride the divide.

Quote Originally Posted by DogPaw View Post
    NatGeo did a very good one on the Appalachian Trail, titled exactly that. It's on Netflix if you want to go watch it.
    I saw that one too. That was a hardly a documentary about thru hiking. Don't get me wrong, the photography in that was sublime, but I'd like to see a doc with the production value of the Riding the Divide filmed applied to the setting of an AT thru hike.

http://thebackpacker.tv/2009/11/appa...al-geographic/

I think this link has it, if anyone wants it.

Journal Entries

I have them both one on dvd the other on my ipad. Love watching them both. I have just finished the AT by NG for the fourth time in the last year and feel the need to get my hike started. Imagine how long a film would have to be in comparison. Abt 39 day ride on a bike ( almost 2 hrs ) vs 6 times that on a thru hike crammed into a 2 hr movie. What kind of content would it include. Maybe like someone said earlier the first 30 days.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    Abt 39 day ride on a bike ( almost 2 hrs ) vs 6 times that on a thru hike crammed into a 2 hr movie. What kind of content would it include. Maybe like someone said earlier the first 30 days.
    I don't really buy this... The other night I watched a two hour documentary on WWII and they managed to tell one story that spanned several years.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post

Thanks for the tip.

Just finished watching it tonight.

Though I do not mountain bike, the GDMBR parallels, intersects, and joins the CDT in many places.

More importantly, the emotions, camaraderie, beauty and exhilaration of being out there is the same as any person who makes a long journey.

Good stuff.

(In an odd twist, Matthew Lee and myself had a ah,um, spirited exchange over SPOT on CDT-L. Thought I recongnized the name from the doc and I looked at my e-mail. Sure enough... Small word. It ended well as he sometimes comes to Boulder and we agreed to that we had to buy each other pints of Java Porter next time he gives a talk at U-bikes. After seeing the film, I think it would be a lot of fun to have a pint or two with him..)
    Last edited by Mags; 07-27-2012 at 02:44.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suckerfish View Post
    Also would be cool if they did a race like ride the divide.
    Mountain bike race the AT? Horrible idea! The illegal bikers on the AT are bad enough as it is. Open it to racing (even a single race) and the illegal bikers would suddenly multiple like locusts, leaving a wake of destruction like locusts.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Mountain bike race the AT? Horrible idea! The illegal bikers on the AT are bad enough as it is. Open it to racing (even a single race) and the illegal bikers would suddenly multiple like locusts, leaving a wake of destruction like locusts.

Rain Man

Maybe he meant a race on foot? I liked in the biking documentary how they showed the map at the bottom of the screen and the different dots to mark the position. If you watch the documentary, it's really not a race of any kind, they spend more time encouraging and helping each other then they do competing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

I meant a race on foot, a hiking race. How cool would that be...

The best film/Doc i have seen, it is called ( TREK ) i think it was made in 05 about three thru-hikers hiking the AT. RED-DOG

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    we agreed to that we had to buy each other pints of Java Porter next time he gives a talk at U-bikes. After seeing the film, I think it would be a lot of fun to have a pint or two with him..
    Mmmmm....beer!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

It would be nice to have a documentry of a thru hike where the entire film isn't filled with complaining.

Journal Entries
    Images

Look up film maker Lynne Whelden.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++