WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    If that's all that is written on the box, why all the disscusstion about "donations"?

If one stops at an unattended roadside farm stand and there is a cash box by the corn that states "$6 per dozen -- Honor System" no one would assume that that amount is a recommended donation.

Unless there is somethign else written on the sign, of course.
    Wrong. That is precisely what I would assume.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there is a big box with a big sign on it saying "$6 per night. Honor System" i don't "operate" the hostel. i help enforce the simple rules which so many hikers can't seem to follow. ALDHA has a poster in there titled "DO THE RIGHT THING" a list of 10 things to go by. 3,4,and 5 state: if you can afford beer, you can afford to leave a donation. if you can afford to eat in a restaurant, you can afford to leave a donation. if you can afford to hike the AT, you can afford to leave a donation. real simple folks. no more from me.
    If the box says "$6 per night. Honor System" - that pretty much says it all. If someone cannot afford to stay at the hostel and reckons the hostel will "understand" they need to go to the person in charge and look them straight in the eye and tell them this before they spend 6 nights there. They need to square themselves before taking advantage of their hospitality. Anything else is flat down dishonest. So I reckon that we know what type of honor this mother has now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    If the box says "$6 per night. Honor System" - that pretty much says it all. If someone cannot afford to stay at the hostel and reckons the hostel will "understand" they need to go to the person in charge and look them straight in the eye and tell them this before they spend 6 nights there. They need to square themselves before taking advantage of their hospitality. Anything else is flat down dishonest. So I reckon that we know what type of honor this mother has now.
    this past spring, april 15 - may 31, The Place had a volunteer/live-in caretaker. he made sure folks paid their way, cleaned up and followed rules. it ran real smooth. less than a week after he left it went back to the same old thing. no money in box, the house a mess, dirty towels everywhere, hikers blatantly breakin' rules, etc. thankfully he'll be back for the SOBO season. they're worse than NOBOs

this past spring, april 15 - may 31, The Place had a volunteer/live-in caretaker. he made sure folks paid their way, cleaned up and followed rules. it ran real smooth. less than a week after he left it went back to the same old thing. no money in box, the house a mess, dirty towels everywhere, hikers blatantly breakin' rules, etc. thankfully he'll be back for the SOBO season. they're worse than NOBOs
    When do you expect to see the SOBO's LW?

by the end of this month a few will start trickling in

Do you think SOBOs are worse because they are nearing the end and are low on funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    Do you think SOBOs are worse because they are nearing the end and are low on funds?
    correct. what little they do have left goes directly to beer and pizza at quinceys. hikers ALWAYS have $$ for wants

correct. what little they do have left goes directly to beer and pizza at quinceys. hikers ALWAYS have $$ for wants
    Several years ago at the end of October I visited Ms. Janet while dropping off a SOBO who had finished the trail. There was a SOBO there who stated to us that he had run out of money so he decided to stay with her. Her kindness and inability to say no to freeloaders like this guy is the main reason her hostel no longer exists, while Uncle Johnny's is still going strong. I've seen NOBOs doing their own laundry for their "work for stay" at Ms. Janets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    If that's all that is written on the box, why all the disscusstion about "donations"?

If one stops at an unattended roadside farm stand and there is a cash box by the corn that states "$6 per dozen -- Honor System" no one would assume that that amount is a recommended donation.

Unless there is somethign else written on the sign, of course.
    i think, legally speaking, it has to be classified as a "donation" or else they will be subject to a host of government regulations as if they were operating a hotel, and not a $6/ night hiker shelter.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    Does anyone know if they are still on the trail or at home? I have not stayed at The Place or any Hostel. I do think they are very important for the AT Quest we all have, so I am sending The Place some money to help them for the service they provide us. Not on the Family of the South but for all the future hikers that are ill prepared.
    I still am concerned about the children. Has any one seen them since they left Damascus? I agree with the Balls and Sunshine being hero's, they are not. I will give them credit for being able to get thousands of dollars of equipment and food in sponsorship. To bad this family didn't figure out how to hike free also. I would like to send the Family from the south boxes of food. I hope that if I was in trouble on the trail Lone Wolf and RED-DOG have the passion to come find me. Thank You
    If you want to send a donation you send a check or money order here
    The Place
    c/o Tom Hayes
    PO Box 4
    Damascus, Va. 24236

We would greatly appreciate it!

Images

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=389625

Well, wonderful. People are sending her free food, she has the money to buy more maps as well as microwavable foods (very pricey per person) and she writes like a 12 yr old with lots of!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so not impressed.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    If you want to send a donation you send a check or money order here
    The Place
    c/o Tom Hayes
    PO Box 4
    Damascus, Va. 24236

We would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks for the information!
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post

Well, wonderful. People are sending her free food, she has the money to buy more maps as well as microwavable foods (very pricey per person) and she writes like a 12 yr old with lots of!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so not impressed.
    We shall see WHAT the story is really soon....

Where's the love?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Yeah,The Careless Bear has some new posts on TJ you need to read em for a good laugh.I'm only an HS grad,but I do try to use proper spelling.....

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Where's the love?
    Her 7 year old is hiking 10-18 miles per day with 17 lbs on his back.

LOL--- I didn't see anywhere that she has intimated that she was out to "impress" anyone.

However, she has certainly stirred up a few folks.

I can't condone all her apparent actions but then, I haven't walked in her shoes (boots.)

I just hope they are all safe and learn all they can from the experience.
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

I would bet a dollar she could not care any less than she already does, that people on this web site are not impressed with her.

How much is giving people on whiteblaze a good impression worth anyway?

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...
    A Modest Proposal

For Preventing The Children of Poor People in Ireland
    From Being Aburden to Their Parents or Country, and
    For Making Them Beneficial to The Public

By Jonathan Swift (1729)

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    We shall see WHAT the story is really soon....
    How are we going to know what the "story" is?

I've been reading these 300+ post for a few days now and I can understand peoples concern for the welfare of these children. I frankly don't have an opinion because I'm not there and do not think I have enough information to form one. What I can't understand is why anyone wants to slam this woman for spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors. I can imagine she is writing her journal on a borrowed computer and has a time limit. Sometimes mistakes slip in. I'm sure my writing on these pages doesn't cut the muster for some. I just don't get it!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++